Terrance Steele's Improvement and Tyler Smith

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Tyler Smith is very likely your starting LG.
While he may end up at RT longer term he is a massive, powerful, nasty guy who is best built to play inside year 1.

Tyron Smith and Larry Allen were guys that came in and played early but moved around and ended up dominant after time. Smith may never touch that as almost no one does but you don't have to be locked into your perm position year 1.
Smith is a 21 year old. He is a naturally massive dude who can definitely play inside.

If Dallas had drafted a listed LG here people would have given them A's and B's.
But a guy as good as Smith wasn't going to play OG in the Go5.

And in this scenario you get a guy with OT upside who could play outside in 2-3 years when Tyron retires.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
At LG I just want someone who can anchor in pass blocking and not keep getting pushed into the QB.....hopeful but not optimistic
exactly. Connor Williams got penalties because he wasn't strong enough.
Tyler may not be quick enough or sound enough to play LT right now or even ever but he isn't getting benched press back into the QB.
He is a massive dude with great natural strength, massive hands and long arms.

BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1: 2022 NFL Draft: OT Rankings
Here's what one area scout texted me about Smith months ago, "He's more gifted than the other offensive tackles in this class besides the N.C. State kid. Smith is 6-foot-5, 325 pounds with 34-plus-inch arms. As violent as he plays and the fact he can play guard also, I could see someone pushing him up because he's only 20 and smart also."

Rayman70

Reaction score
People are counting their Terrance Steele chickens a little early…
Maybe. He will have his struggles, but Im fine with that because he has shown the ability to get better and play at a high level. He's the least of our worries. I'm worried about Tyron Smith and his availability for 17 games. He was kinda bad in the niner game.He wasnt healthy. I don't think we are done adding oline talent.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
We've watched Terrance Steele go from somewhat awful to our starting RT in just two years to the point the team felt comfortable releasing Collins. I've been pretty down on Philbin's personnel decisions with LG but he's seemed to do a good job developing talent. Hopefully this will bode well for the concerns we all seemingly have about the Tyler Smith pick.

Steele worked hard on his body (which Tyler doesn't have to do) to make up for his deficiencies. Hopefully, Tyler makes as much of an effort with his technique. He needs to be working with coaches as often as he can.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
exactly. Connor Williams got penalties because he wasn't strong enough.
Tyler may not be quick enough or sound enough to play LT right now or even ever but he isn't getting benched press back into the QB.
He is a massive dude with great natural strength, massive hands and long arms.

BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1: 2022 NFL Draft: OT Rankings
Here's what one area scout texted me about Smith months ago, "He's more gifted than the other offensive tackles in this class besides the N.C. State kid. Smith is 6-foot-5, 325 pounds with 34-plus-inch arms. As violent as he plays and the fact he can play guard also, I could see someone pushing him up because he's only 20 and smart also."

That’s my thinking as well. While both Connor Williams and Tyler Smith did pick up a lot if holding penalties, both the position they were playing and the reasons WHY they were caught holding are completely different.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True. Lately MM looks like a hostage at these pressers. All thats missing is a nap sack over his head. His reactions look forced.

tumblr_n9wxmxsW6O1s0teago3_400.gifv

OGCowboy

Reaction score
Having a good line coach to help teach youngsters is nice....
Having a Zack Martin and Tyron Smith on the line with the youngsters is PRICELESS.....

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chuckles was on The Fan 105.3 at noon and was talking about Smith stepping in and immediately "backing some guys up" and hopefully "getting some time
on his own....huh???? I am sorry, but when you have a team that can't get out of the first round of the playoffs, your 1st rounder BETTER BE A STARTER!!! Because that is what Plug & Play Tyler Linderbaum is going to be Day 1 for Baltimore....not to mention a Pro Bowler....this whole organization if a *******joke!!!
What?????
He didnt actually say he was going to be backing anyone up. He said he could work the left side and slider over if Tyron gets hurt. He said he would compete with McGovern, but we all know what they think of McGovern
OK nevermind!

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He's developed 1 guy meanwhile the other 7 OL all took a step back.