Terrell Owens tied for league lead in Drops

AmericasTeam

Reaction score
In other news it seems as though Parcells is writing his own childrens book
"Little T learns to catch" (humor)

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
I guess because it is TO people fail to remember that he is playing with a metal plate and screws in his hand. Couple this with the fact that TO never hand the best of hands will surely lead to drops. I guess bashing TO is just too easy instead of seeing the situation for what it is.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Terry Glenn dropped a ball that resulted in an interception. Cut him. :laugh2:

T.O. should have caught at least one of those dropped passes. The first one looked difficult. He had to reach down and slightly behind him as he was going full speed across the middle. It was a poor pass. The second one the whole play looked screwy. Romo didn't look ready for the snap, half the offense looked slow off the ball and T.O. looked as if he didn't know the pass was coming. With all that, it was still a good pass that hit T.O. right at eye level. He should have come down with it.

Aikbach

Reaction score
joseephuss;1210297 said:

T.O. should have caught at least one of those dropped passes. The first one looked difficult. He had to reach down and slightly behind him as he was going full speed across the middle. It was a poor pass. The second one the whole play looked screwy. Romo didn't look ready for the snap, half the offense looked slow off the ball and T.O. looked as if he didn't know the pass was coming. With all that, it was still a good pass that hit T.O. right at eye level. He should have come down with it.
It was more of a volleyball move really, he was setting up the spike.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
joseephuss;1210297 said:

I thought he should have caught both of them. I thought Glenn should probably have caught that tipped ball as well.

I don't know if the hand is bothering him or not. Both TO and BP have stated that the hand is not a factor but who can really say? I sure would like to see him get this figured out and put it behind him.

trueblue1687

Reaction score
There is a goofy misconception that a receiver should catch ANYTHING that is even remotely near him. TO drops passes....just like every other receiver in the league does. This stat is dependent on alot of conjecture and opinion unlike, say...tackles or interceptions. You either make a tackle or you don't. There are other factors in dropped passes that don't make it a reliable stat.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Another stat is that he is tied for second in TD catch's.

Hey, I work for Fox...Fair and Balanced.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1210303 said:
I thought he should have caught both of them. I thought Glenn should probably have caught that tipped ball as well.

I don't know if the hand is bothering him or not. Both TO and BP have stated that the hand is not a factor but who can really say? I sure would like to see him get this figured out and put it behind him.

I know that is the company line but imo I think that his hand won't be fully healed until next season. TO's drops will be something we have to live with I just hope they don't come at an inopportune time.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Owens is what he is...a big play receiver who's gonna drop a lot of passes...

He brings a play making element to the game that the defense has to concern itself with...

That's a good thing.

But he's always gonna have drops.

Wood

Reaction score
its reliable and its a problem. I watched all of TO games with the Eagles and I dont remember so many drops. TO has gotten hit hard a few times earlier this season and it appears he is looking for the defender before he secures the ball (you know...he is hearing foot steps). His hands are fine...its his mind thats crossing him up.

aquavita

Reaction score
Not to mention the fact that TO gets more balls thrown his way than most other receivers.

rubrink

Reaction score
Yeah, this is just one of those stats that they like throwing around. I admit, he's dropped some critical passes, but look at his stats in these categories.

Receiving Yards: 915 (10th)
Receptions: 69 (5th)
TDs: 8 (T-2nd)

So he's top 10 in all categories, with no fumbles...yeah, I'll take it. BTW, who is he tied with? I have no idea..

Reaction score
AmericasTeam;1210260 said:

When you resorted to putting humor in parentheses, I knew your lame attempt at comedy would fail miserably!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think this is an area that TO can improve on. My hope is as we get closer to the playoffs the drops will become fewer.

dfense

Reaction score
AmericasTeam;1210260 said:
Actually, a few weeks ago I saw a stat during a game that Steve Smith and KeyShawn both had more drops at that time.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
rubrink;1210348 said:
Yeah, this is just one of those stats that they like throwing around. I admit, he's dropped some critical passes, but look at his stats in these categories.

Receiving Yards: 915 (10th)
Receptions: 69 (5th)
TDs: 8 (T-2nd)

So he's top 10 in all categories, with no fumbles...yeah, I'll take it. BTW, who is he tied with? I have no idea..

Plus lets not forget broken tackles and yards after the catch.

Of course you could do this with every receiver, but I would like to go back and see all of the balls that they are recording as drops.

I would venture to say 2-3 were from the game when he played with a brokend hand and then the next game when he played just a week after surgery.

I can also think of 2-3 in the past 2-3 games that anyone that has ever played football knows were not "drops." One didn't even touch his hands, but since it is TO, ... let's call in another drop.

If you can not see through your "TO-hate" long enough to see that he is a very good receiver and it is a good thing for us that he is a Cowboy, then just go on and continue to tear him down in your own little mind. (not you rubrink)

But the truth of the matter is, ... everyone associated with the team, (QB, other receivers, teammates, coaches, ownership) likes him and is glad to have him here.

You need to forget the "will Owens work out in Dallas or not" mentality, look around, ... he IS working out in Dallas and he is a big part of where we are at this point in the season.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I want to know about actual drops -- there doesn't seem to be a real statistic on that. What I see now is the "if he's making so much money he should be able to catch that" statistic.

For example, on Thanksgiving, FOX credited him with three drops. At least one was a poor pass that he didn't even get a hand on because it was thrown at his feet.

He does drop passes -- but he is getting credited with some because of reputation. But, hey, it gives the announcers something negative to talk about.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
You know whats funny, everyone is getting on him about drops, but this is nothing new people. TO has had a history of dropping passes. HE's neveer been consitent at catching the ball. THe only differnece is that he was getting more passes his way, so they didn stand out much. BUt people we cna ride him all day, but this is nothing new for TO. Same player, same problems.