Tevin Coleman's 40

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
While their numbers among common opponents are virtually the same, so much of Coleman's yards came on long runs. It's all or nothing with him. For example, among common opponents in 2014, Coleman ran the ball 149 times but nearly half of his yardage came on just 9 runs. In other words, nearly 50% of his yardage came from about 6% of his carries. I don't know if that can translate to the NFL. He can't rely on getting multiple 50 yard runs a game to keep his average up against NFL teams. Gordon, however, is a much more consistent runner, but isn't the home run threat. Maybe I'm too conservative, and maybe Coleman would have had more consistent production with Gordon's supporting cast, but based on their common opponent stats, Gordon's style of runner just feels better to me.

You could also spin that stat in the other direction, with a better OL, Coleman would have even more game breaking runs and his production would have been historic versus being just amazing. Again, this is with no QB, mediocre OL and a broken foot.

Coleman is the epitomy of dirty yards rusher. Except he has the ability to take it to the house on any given play.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
You could also spin that stat in the other direction, with a better OL, Coleman would have even more game breaking runs and his production would have been historic versus being just amazing. Again, this is with no QB, mediocre OL and a broken foot.

Coleman is the epitomy of dirty yards rusher. Except he has the ability to take it to the house on any given play.
He's the exact opposite of a dirty yards rusher. He's very easy to bring down because he has terrible balance. I think he would have had many more big gains if he wasn't able to be taken down with a shoe string tackle. I've seen him a lot with nothing between him and the second level but a glancing arm tackle or contact that sends him to the ground. Small creases are not his friend.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
He's the exact opposite of a dirty yards rusher. He's very easy to bring down because he has terrible balance. I think he would have had many more big gains if he wasn't able to be taken down with a shoe string tackle. I've seen him a lot with nothing between him and the second level but a glancing arm tackle or contact that sends him to the ground. Small creases are not his friend.

If the team needs a yard, a runner who puts his head down and gets you a yard in a crowd is someone who can pick up a dirty yard. Coleman is a between the tackles rusher who does not get timid in traffic. He runs full speed into the LOS every time and I disagree about him not taking advantage of creases. Once he is through he is gone. He is what Murray was before Murray gained 20 lbs. But I agree that he is not Demarco Murray of 2014, that Murray was special. And fans who believe Demarco can so easily be replaced are delusional.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
If the team needs a yard, a runner who puts his head down and gets you a yard in a crowd is someone who can pick up a dirty yard. Coleman is a between the tackles rusher who does not get timid in traffic. He runs full speed into the LOS every time and I disagree about him not taking advantage of creases. Once he is through he is gone. He is what Murray was before Murray gained 20 lbs. But I agree that he is not Demarco Murray of 2014, that Murray was special. And fans who believe Demarco can so easily be replaced are delusional.
Like I said, he is not a between the tackles runner. He's not going to lower his shoulder and drive his legs. He's a home run hitter.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

He probably has the worst balance of all the top tier halfbacks. Not impressed with that aspect of his game at all.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
I would take Coleman or any of the other 6-7 RB prospects before I would depend on McFadden. McFadden has already been proven as a first round bust , but at least these others have not yet shown that they are a bust, so they at least have a chance of a good career.
Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but being a Raider matters. Case in point, Randy Moss did not look like the HOF receiver he is when he was there. That place is like purgatory.

I wouldn't fully depend on McFadden, but I wouldn't sleep on him either. He never had an OL like ours, never played with weapons like ours, and all of his QB were vastly inferior to Romo.

I expect him to surprise millions of fans. Afterall, who will want him if he sucks behind our OL after the season DM29 just had? He knows it too. I expect to see a hungry player that will be fighting for his NFL career out there. Then we'll reap the benefits.