Texas A&M fires football coach Jimbo Fisher, will pay record $77.5M buyout

triplets_93

Reaction score
https://www.tpr.org/business/2023-1...ach-jimbo-fisher-will-pay-record-77-5m-buyout

Texas A&M University has fired head coach Jimbo Fischer in the middle of the season.

Fisher's $77.5 million contract buyout will be the highest in college football history.

Texas A&M Athletic Director Ross Bjork called the buyout “monumental” and something that will have “consequences” but said that it had to be done because the team has been underperforming despite its elite fundraising, recruiting, and facilities.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One of the dumbest things I’ve ever seen. The team is a year away from being back near the top. His #1 recruiting class is now going to scatter in the transfer portal, and they owe so much money that they won’t be able to hire another big name coach.

This move will plant them firmly near the bottom of the sec west for the foreseeable future.

MizzouCowboy4

Reaction score
One of the dumbest things I’ve ever seen. The team is a year away from being back near the top. His #1 recruiting class is now going to scatter in the transfer portal, and they owe so much money that they won’t be able to hire another big name coach.

This move will plant them firmly near the bottom of the sec west for the foreseeable future.
Yeah but was he going to do anything next year

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah but was he going to do anything next year
College football is mostly about recruiting. That’s what Jimbo does best. He needed better assistant coaches. But he landed an epic defensive recruiting class last year. They would have been a force next year. Now they will probably scatter and end up at Texas or UGA. The buyout alone should have bought him a few more years. And who are they going to bring in that’s going to do better?

joseephuss

Reaction score
When is the last time both teams fired their coaches after a game during the season? Mississippi St. and A&M are now both searching for their future.

gtb1943

Reaction score
College football is mostly about recruiting. That’s what Jimbo does best. He needed better assistant coaches. But he landed an epic defensive recruiting class last year. They would have been a force next year. Now they will probably scatter and end up at Texas or UGA. The buyout alone should have bought him a few more years. And who are they going to bring in that’s going to do better?
No its NOT mostly about recruiting; its about how well the program is run and coached. Look at how many years TEXAS had lots of talent and sucked.

gtb1943

Reaction score

Schmooze the alumni and the money will come. Makes me laugh all this whining about the buyout.
Yeah its a lot of money but the alumni will pony up IF the Admin finds a good coach.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The class had already seen major defections.

TAMU class was rated 6th in 2020, 8th in 2021 then the 1 in 2022.
If you can't win with that you can't win, period.

And it isn't Jimbo's personal recruiting touch so much as it is the richest NIL offers in the entire country that is paving the way for these classes.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Schmooze the alumni and the money will come. Makes me laugh all this whining about the buyout.
Yeah its a lot of money but the alumni will pony up IF the Admin finds a good coach.
they already ponied up.
they got the go ahead from the big money before the made the firing official.
100% of the buyout is covered.

the question will be for future stuff and NIL. do those same donors cough up money again anytime soon and as you note that likely will depend on winning.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The class had already seen major defections.

TAMU class was rated 6th in 2020, 8th in 2021 then the 1 in 2022.
If you can't win with that you can't win, period.

And it isn't Jimbo's personal recruiting touch so much as it is the richest NIL offers in the entire country that is paving the way for these classes.
I don’t think the program is in better shape today after the firing. The donors have got to be tapped out buying him out of a contract they just signed him to for fear of losing him. It’s a young team and it’s not like A&M has a storied football tradition of winning national titles. They should have given him a few more years. In the SEC West , they were never going to be the top dog. So what exactly is the expectation ?

gtb1943

Reaction score
I don’t think the program is in better shape today after the firing. The donors have got to be tapped out buying him out of a contract they just signed him to for fear of losing him. It’s a young team and it’s not like A&M has a storied football tradition of winning national titles. They should have given him a few more years. In the SEC West , they were never going to be the top dog. So what exactly is the expectation ?
I have to laugh. You make claims with no support. You say the donors have to be tapped out but no evidence. You say he should be given more time with all that talent? Why?
Frankly to me he has never impressed and the school saw they made a mistake and corrected it. Sorry that does not go along with your agenda. NOT.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

As a former student, I offer the following:

Good riddance!

Talk about over-promise and under-deliver. Jimbo has had top-ranked recruiting classes for the past 3 years and hasn’t been able to translate that into a consistent top 10 or top 20 winner.

And, FWIW, Jimbo's salary was privately funded by rich former students.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As a former student, I offer the following:

Good riddance!

Talk about over-promise and under-deliver. Jimbo has had top-ranked recruiting classes for the past 3 years and hasn’t been able to translate that into a consistent top 10 or top 20 winner.

And, FWIW, Jimbo's salary was privately funded by rich former students.
I get it. But that’s 75M less you can hit those boosters up for NIL money. I just thought , and I’m not affiliated with this school , that the 2022 recruiting class was a turning point and the school would let it play out a bit longer.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Aggies were my most hated rival in the SWC and early Big 12 days so I wish they would have kept him but truth is they simply couldn't.

They have won 0 road games this year.
The 4 conf wins they have are all at home and versus teams with a combined 7 conference wins.
The non-conf schedule presented 1 P5 challenge which they failed by double digits.

If you have 3 straight top 10 classes you should be able to beat Miami, not lose by 15.

It is a young team and if they hire a good coach they will be very dangerous next year.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Aggies were my most hated rival in the SWC and early Big 12 days so I wish they would have kept him but truth is they simply couldn't.

They have won 0 road games this year.
The 4 conf wins they have are all at home and versus teams with a combined 7 conference wins.
The non-conf schedule presented 1 P5 challenge which they failed by double digits.

If you have 3 straight top 10 classes you should be able to beat Miami, not lose by 15.

It is a young team and if they hire a good coach they will be very dangerous next year.
I guess that will depend on how many players stay after the guy who they came to play for is gone. I think that 2022 class is going to scatter to wind.

gtb1943

Reaction score
I guess that will depend on how many players stay after the guy who they came to play for is gone. I think that 2022 class is going to scatter to wind.
Just because you want it to happen does not mean it will

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Who said he wants it to happen?

Just because someone “thinks” someone will happen doesn’t mean he “wants” it to happen or that he is actively rooting for it.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I could care less if it happens or not. I just think it will given the current transfer madness of college football. If you signed to play for Jimbo Fisher and he gets fired , why stay on a sinking ship? these guys have no loyalty to the school beyond their nil paycheck which they can get at a dozen other schools.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Who said he wants it to happen?

Just because someone “thinks” someone will happen doesn’t mean he “wants” it to happen or that he is actively rooting for it.
look at his post history