Texas A&M fires football coach Jimbo Fisher, will pay record $77.5M buyout

jsb357

Reaction score
A coach named "Jimbo" in the "South"eastern Conference,
coaching for "Texas A&M", with the largest buyout in NCAA
history.

That's meme city stuff right there fellas.

:muttley:

Probably already has an appointment with Jerry in January.

gtb1943

Reaction score
A coach named "Jimbo" in the "South"eastern Conference,
coaching for "Texas A&M", with the largest buyout in NCAA
history.

That's meme city stuff right there fellas.

:muttley:

Probably already has an appointment with Jerry in January.
now if he were only called Jumbo it would have been perfect....

ghst187

Reaction score
Between this and the video below saying it basically costs a million to two to get a good QB, unsure how this is still considered amateur athletics.
Meanwhile, college costs, student loans…all out of control.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Between this and the video below saying it basically costs a million to two to get a good QB, unsure how this is still considered amateur athletics.
Meanwhile, college costs, student loans…all out of control.
Agreed. And the majority of students get a worthless degree, a mindless brainwashing, or both.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Agreed. And the majority of students get a worthless degree, a mindless brainwashing, or both.
ITs a sad fact that many students come out of college less able to handle the real world then when they graduated High School

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I just went through a few transfer rankings lists. Holy cow, Texas A&M lost a lot of players! They talented enough to stay in the SEC? LOL

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just went through a few transfer rankings lists. Holy cow, Texas A&M lost a lot of players! They talented enough to stay in the SEC? LOL
That is quite common these days. The better players go where 1) they get the best NIL deals, 2) the coaches guarantee them starting positions, and 3) have a decent shot at the CFP.

When teams fire coaches, those guarantees go with them and CFP uncertainty increases unless they happen to land a well-known CFP proven coach.

The NIL deals get better every year, so once you lose the other things, it is better for them to transfer if a higher tier school wants them.

Colleges who fire coaches need to bring in a proven coach quickly or focus on a coach with a great recruiting reputation if they hope to keep their players or at least replace them with comparable talent.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
That is quite common these days. The better players go where 1) they get the best NIL deals, 2) the coaches guarantee them starting positions, and 3) have a decent shot at the CFP.

When teams fire coaches, those guarantees go with them and CFP uncertainty increases unless they happen to land a well-known CFP proven coach.

The NIL deals get better every year, so once you lose the other things, it is better for them to transfer if a higher tier school wants them.

Colleges who fire coaches need to bring in a proven coach quickly or focus on a coach with a great recruiting reputation if they hope to keep their players or at least replace them with comparable talent.
So I'm assuming it's like baseball now? Bigger markets get the better NIL deals? Why go to a little hick town in Texas for football, when you can be in Austin/San Antonio, or even SMU/TCU and DFW metroplex and get bigger promotional contracts?

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So I'm assuming it's like baseball now? Bigger markets get the better NIL deals? Why go to a little hick town in Texas for football, when you can be in Austin/San Antonio, or even SMU/TCU and DFW metroplex and get bigger promotional contracts?
I am not a fan of "paid" college sports at all, but the universities caused a lot of this by turning college football (and other sports) into a commercial league generating a revenue windfall for them, and they did so on the names, performances, etc. of the athletes just like professional leagues do.

I have always thought that college athletes should be able to make money on their name, images, etc., but I did not think it should be tied to schools.

Because the NCAA fought against it so long, by the time the Supreme Court ruled on it they had little choice but to tie it to schools because the people with the money to pay the athletes obtained gained a lot more freedom from the NCAA with that court ruling.

Unless the federal or state governments create laws, I think this is only the first phase though because most current NIL deals are focused on athletes going to specific universities.

Without laws restricting it, I will not be surprised if large corprorations not tied to any university see the results of the NIL deals (from the sponsor side) and then decide to offer university-agnostic NIL deals directly to the players.

Think about it .. Nike sees a college player as a future star NFL player, so they offer them a 10-year mega contract that covers them through 2-4 years of college and then 6-8 years of their professional career.

Of course I could see those agnostic deals define a pool of schools the athlete must play for to be paid, but the list would likely include schools all over the country and in a variety of NCAA conferences.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I am not a fan of "paid" college sports at all, but the universities caused a lot of this by turning college football (and other sports) into a commercial league generating a revenue windfall for them, and they did so on the names, performances, etc. of the athletes just like professional leagues do.

I have always thought that college athletes should be able to make money on their name, images, etc., but I did not think it should be tied to schools.

Because the NCAA fought against it so long, by the time the Supreme Court ruled on it they had little choice but to tie it to schools because the people with the money to pay the athletes obtained gained a lot more freedom from the NCAA with that court ruling.

Unless the federal or state governments create laws, I think this is only the first phase though because most current NIL deals are focused on athletes going to specific universities.

Without laws restricting it, I will not be surprised if large corprorations not tied to any university see the results of the NIL deals (from the sponsor side) and then decide to offer university-agnostic NIL deals directly to the players.

Think about it .. Nike sees a college player as a future star NFL player, so they offer them a 10-year mega contract that covers them through 2-4 years of college and then 6-8 years of their professional career.

Of course I could see those agnostic deals define a pool of schools the athlete must play for to be paid, but the list would likely include schools all over the country and in a variety of NCAA conferences.
It's a different world all right. I like Zack Martin's comment in his interview this week about how coaches spend as much time trying to keep guys on their team now as they do recruiting.

I remember a lot of folks here trashing Deion saying he was losing everyone, but I don't think they picked up on how Deion understands this new system better than most college coaches. He was made for it. Ends up with the #1 transfer class, and #30 recruit class.

Has to be tempting for corporations to do what you describe and try the long offer now to save money in the long run. I liken it to Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson's long contracts in the 80's which were very impressive when they were signed, but nothing after a few years and the market catching up.

Staubacher

Reaction score
As a former student, I offer the following:

Good riddance!

Talk about over-promise and under-deliver. Jimbo has had top-ranked recruiting classes for the past 3 years and hasn’t been able to translate that into a consistent top 10 or top 20 winner.

And, FWIW, Jimbo's salary was privately funded by rich former students.
How's that even allowed?
Man college football is so corrupt.

John813

Reaction score
CFB is getting crazier with NIL and the transfer portal and not sitting out a year.
I'm all for players getting money and not being stuck at a university, but at the same time I feel like players can have only one transfer before the 2nd one they'll have to wait 1 year to play again.