Texas Longhorns' Jamaal Charles to enter NFL draft

BARRYRAY

Reaction score
Anybody see him as one of our picks as a change of pace guy with Marion Barber, he would be around for our picks probably..

PosterChild

Reaction score
Texas junior running back Jamaal Charles has elected to leave school early and enter the 2008 NFL draft.

Charles, who shared UT's team MVP honors with Colt McCoy in 2007, capped his junior season by running for 161 yards and two touchdowns in the Longhorns' 52-34 victory over No. 12 Arizona State in the Pacific Life Holiday Bowl.

The unanimous first-team All-Big 12 selection rushed for 1,619 yards (No. 5 on the UT single-season list) and 18 TDs on 258 carries in 2007. He also caught 17 passes for 199 yards.

"We appreciate everything Jamaal has done for Texas and want to wish him all of the best," said coach Mack Brown. "He has been a great player for us and more importantly a tremendous person, student and representative of our program. We thank him, support him and look forward to following his career in the NFL."
Also, linebackers coach Larry Mac Duff announced that he would not be returning.

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/010308dnspoutcharles.262c029.html

Doomsday101

Reaction score
BARRYRAY;1874279 said:
Anybody see him as one of our picks as a change of pace guy with Marion Barber, he would be around for our picks probably..

I hate to see him leave early I think he could have helped himself in the 2009 draft had he stayed in school. As is he will likely go 3rd maybe 2nd rd. Myself I like the kid and would not mind having him on the team.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If he would have stayed at school, there was a chance he could be in the Heisman running next year.

His stock is going to skyrocket after the combine. His 40 time is going to :eek: .

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
He's got world class speed, but major fumble problems. It should be a very good RB class.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
numnuts23;1874317 said:
If he would have stayed at school, there was a chance he could be in the Heisman running next year.

His stock is going to skyrocket after the combine. His 40 time is going to :eek: .

His speed may keep him in day 1 of the draft but he still started the year off putting the ball on the ground way too often. It did get better as the season went on but I think Charles could have made himself a 1rd pick by staying at Texas and as you said being in the Heisman running next season.

khiladi

Reaction score
He makes some nasty cuts. He seems to be real good in tight spots. Looks like he has nice vision to accompany the speed.

joseephuss

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1874323 said:
He's got world class speed, but major fumble problems. It should be a very good RB class.

And he always seems to be slowed by little, nagging injuries.

StarHead69

Reaction score
joseephuss;1874412 said:
And he always seems to be slowed by little, nagging injuries.

I watched all the UT games this year... what games was he slowed by injuries in?

The kid is dynamite, I would love to see him with a star on his helmet. Isolate him on a LB and you are looking at an easy 6pts from anywhere on the field.

In fact, J.Charles & F.Okam (HOOK'EM)along with a solid DB with our first three picks would be a fantastic start to the draft!

Merlin

Reaction score
He reminds me of a watered down Reggie Bush. They are slashers. I wonder if he could play WR. He would have to be in a RBBC situation to last.

BIGWAY

Reaction score
If we could pick him up in the 2cnd round it would be a still. With this pick up
I would really fill great about drafting a cornerback and wide receiver in the first.

BIGWAY

Reaction score
Merlin;1874634 said:
He reminds me of a watered down Reggie Bush. They are slashers. I wonder if he could play WR. He would have to be in a RBBC situation to last.

He does have great hands, If Garrett is still with us I could see him really using this guys speed to help us out.

khiladi

Reaction score
Merlin;1874634 said:

Charles is explosive within the tackles. Reggie Bush can't make cuts like this kid... Reggie Bush is purely an outside runner...

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Charles has only fumbled once or twice since that OU game back in early October. Apparently, Earl Campbell talked to him and coached him up on how to hold onto the pigskins, and Jamaal followed his expert advice.

I am so siked right now.....but I will come back down to Earth shortly.....cause I know JJ doesn't draft Longhorns.

He passed on Neil, Brockermeier, Brackens, Vasher, Holmes (though everyone passed on him), and Selvin Young.

I like that Chris Johnson kid....but I don't know him all that well. I know Charles, and I am definitely rooting for him to be wearing a star in 08.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
BARRYRAY;1874279 said:

Yeah, in the 4th round.

Fletch;1874327 said:
He'll be a 4th round RB at best.

:hammer:

khiladi;1875115 said:
Charles is explosive within the tackles. Reggie Bush can't make cuts like this kid... Reggie Bush is purely an outside runner...

I'm always amazed at how comletely WRONG some people can be about a player.

Explosive within the tackles? Cuts better then Reggie Bush?

Geezuz, have you ever watched a football game, at any level, in your entire life?