TexasRangers.com: Young willing to DH if Rangers sign Beltre

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
ARLINGTON -- Rangers third baseman Michael Young said Monday night that he would be willing to move to designated hitter if the Rangers sign free agent Adrian Beltre.

This is the third time since 2004 that Young has been willing to switch positions to accommodate the Rangers. But this one would take Young off the field the majority of the time as a defensive player.

The Rangers approached Young recently and asked for his feelings on the subject.

"We have had conversations, and every conversation was left open-ended," Young said. "But at this point, I would be willing to get my at-bats if we make a move that makes the team better."

The Rangers have been engaged in contract discussions with Scott Boras, Beltre's agent, since the Winter Meetings. No agreement has been reached, but general manager Jon Daniels and Boras resumed serious negotiations Monday night with the goal of wrapping up an agreement.

Young's willingness to accept the designated-hitter role would remove one possible hurdle in the Rangers signing Beltre.

"Obviously, I know my first preference," Young said. "If I have to take on a certain role to make the team better and I still get my 700 at-bats, be a productive player and play in a place I want to play, I'd be willing to do that."

Complete Story

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
this appears to be done 5 years.

apparently its 1 year more at 1 million more per year than the angels were willing to do.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
theebs;3782017 said:
this appears to be done 5 years.

apparently its 1 year more at 1 million more per year than the angels were willing to do.

Yep, it appears all but done. (except for the physical)

================================

ARLINGTON -- The Rangers' big free-agent purchase of the offseason is close to being completed. Get ready for Adrian Beltre to take over for Michael Young as the Rangers' third baseman.

Industry sources said the Rangers are working hard and are close to signing Beltre to what could be a five- to six-year deal worth $14-16 million annually. The Rangers have had extensive negotiations with Beltre's agent, Scott Boras, over the past few days trying to close a deal.

An official announcement will likely be delayed until after Beltre undergoes a physical and may not come until later this week. But the Rangers are willing to make a significant commitment to the 31-year-old third baseman, who has won two Gold Gloves and is coming off one of his best offensive seasons.

Full Story

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Beltre's good defensively, but offensively he's the epitome of a contract year player.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3782483 said:
Good, I'm sick of Young's statue-like reflexes at third.

I think the phrase "past a diving Michael Young" is something all Rangers fans have grown tired of over the last couple of years.

Stautner

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3782483 said:
Good, I'm sick of Young's statue-like reflexes at third.

I am too, but you have to admit this is one hell of a sacrifice for Young to accept. When you consider he was very good at 2B and accepted a move to SS, and was very good at SS and accepted a move to 3rd (where he wasn't so good), Young has to be one of the great team guys in all of baseball.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
1:30 PC to announce his signing.

He got less money than werth and crawford.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
theebs;3784285 said:
1:30 PC to announce his signing.

He got less money than werth and crawford.

Both of those players are better than he is.

btw, it is six years $96M. Second largest contract ever given out by Texas. (A-Rod's being the biggest obviously)

I like his defense, but thats way to much money for him. /fail

The guy has a career BA of .275, he has hit over .300 twice. Both of those were over .320 and both of those were contract years. Never has he hit over .300 in a non-contract year. What the hell are they thinking. :banghead:

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
nyc;3784298 said:
Both of those players are better than he is.

btw, it is six years $96M. Second largest contract ever given out by Texas. (A-Rod's being the biggest obviously)

I like his defense, but thats way to much money for him. /fail

From jamey newberg

Reportedly, the sixth year of the deal (which should be made official today, assuming last night’s physical raised no issues) is voidable by Texas should Beltre not reach specified plate appearance totals in either 2015 or 2014 and 2015 combined (not unlike the final year of Kevin Millwood’s five-year pact with Texas, which could have been voided by the club if he’d failed to pitch 180 innings in 2009, or 360 innings in 2008-09, or 540 innings in 2007-09).

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
theebs;3784310 said:
From jamey newberg

Reportedly, the sixth year of the deal (which should be made official today, assuming last night’s physical raised no issues) is voidable by Texas should Beltre not reach specified plate appearance totals in either 2015 or 2014 and 2015 combined (not unlike the final year of Kevin Millwood’s five-year pact with Texas, which could have been voided by the club if he’d failed to pitch 180 innings in 2009, or 360 innings in 2008-09, or 540 innings in 2007-09).

That still puts him at a Michael Young contract. I don't like that either. He isn't worth that much.

At best, he is worth $12M a year for 5 years. ($60M deal)

Stautner

Reaction score
Seems like a lot, but a big key is what kind of teammate is he. As long as he doesn't upset the chemistry, and Young truly is okay with moving to DH, then I think its a good acquisition.

Does this make Young the primary defensive backup at 2B, 3B & SS?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Stautner;3784646 said:
Seems like a lot, but a big key is what kind of teammate is he. As long as he doesn't upset the chemistry, and Young truly is okay with moving to DH, then I think its a good acquisition.

Does this make Young the primary defensive backup at 2B, 3B & SS?

They said he will be the ultra infield utility guy playing 1st, 2nd, ss, and 3rd to give guys days off and if there is an injury. DH when he isn't.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think Young is now the DH and utility fielder, yes.

This upgrades the team in two spots...maybe more.

Overall, I love this team's attitude!

tko112204

Reaction score
DFWJC;3784713 said:
I think Young is now the DH and utility fielder, yes.

This upgrades the team in two spots...maybe more.

Overall, I love this team's attitude!

Young is a downgrade at DH from what they got from that spot last year. And no more than average for a DH across the AL.

That's a sick defensive 5-6 though.

Stautner

Reaction score
tko112204;3784879 said:
Young is a downgrade at DH from what they got from that spot last year. And no more than average for a DH across the AL.

Young isn't the hitter Guerrero is when Vlad is on a tear, as he was the 1st half of the season, but Guererro fell of badly. Young will likely be more consistent than Vlad, which I think is needed more than Vlad's power. The team has power, and Beltre brings some as well. They need more consistency between the power.

DFWJC

Reaction score
tko112204;3784879 said:

Vlade had a great 1st half last year but faded down the stretch.

Beltre will improve the 3rd base fielding and hitting. Young will add depth at all infield spots both offensively and defensively while also being a solid DH.

Stautner

Reaction score
DFWJC;3785056 said:
Vlade had a great 1st half last year but faded down the stretch.

Beltre will improve the 3rd base fielding and hitting. Young will add depth at all infield spots both offensively and defensively while also being a solid DH.

I agree. I don't see Young/Beltre as a downgrade from Young/Guererro. The power should be about the same, the overall consistency may be better, the speed will better and the defense will improve.

tko112204

Reaction score
Stautner;3785066 said:
I agree. I don't see Young/Beltre as a downgrade from Young/Guererro. The power should be about the same, the overall consistency may be better, the speed will better and the defense will improve.

It does make them incredibly versatile.

In a 6 month season that comes in very handy.