Twitter: That day when Tony Dorsett ran 99 yards

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
It’s always cool when a record play like this happens, knowing it will never, ever be broken. I never get tired of watching that play. How about the effort Drew Pearson makes to block for TD?

Also if you look closely at the ball before the snap, it's as close as you can get to the goal line without being on it, to be precise it's about a 99.8 yard run...

fivetwos

Reaction score
That was one of the strike years....and the games for that week were originally supposed to be played earlier in the season IIRC.

Monday night in January. Odd.

I was listening on my Walkman in bed. Wasn't old enough to stay up that late on a school night yet.

Couldn't see the play until later that week.

Ahhh the good ole days....

A few weeks later, our Cowboys lost in the NFC Championship game (the younger fans can just google what that is lol).

Creeper

Reaction score
I watched this game when this happened! I remember thinking, "that's going to be a highlight for years to come!!". And I was right!! :thumbup:

I was watching too, but at that point I thought the game was really over so I was a little distracted by something else I was doing. I remember as he broke from the linebackers I perked up because we all knew Dorsett was one of the fastest guys on the field. I can still recall vividly my disbelief when he crossed the goal line. Dorsett had that hunched over running style that make him look slower than he actually was. He was fun to watch because every run had the potential to be highlight.

lkelly

Reaction score
I remember running into my parents' bedroom just after that play and waking up my dad to tell him what had just happened. I'm not sure he really cared that much (he is a Washington fan), but I was so pumped that I just had to tell someone.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
HA, LUV IT! Longest run from scrimmage in NFL history (Derrick Henry of the Tennessee Titans would tie this record in 2018). Dorsett broke the previous record of 97 yards, set by Andy Uram in 1939 & Bob Gage in 1949.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
Thing of beauty, brought a tear to my aging eye. Hmm, I wonder if Zeke has one like it in his locker.

Plankton

Reaction score
That was one of the strike years....and the games for that week were originally supposed to be played earlier in the season IIRC.

Monday night in January. Odd.

I was listening on my Walkman in bed. Wasn't old enough to stay up that late on a school night yet.

Couldn't see the play until later that week.

Ahhh the good ole days....

A few weeks later, our Cowboys lost in the NFC Championship game (the younger fans can just google what that is lol).

What's further weird about that game was that the Metrodome roof partially collapsed four days before the game. It nearly had to be delayed as a result.

And, on that play, not only did the Cowboys have only 10 guys on the field (Ron Springs was supposed to be on the field), but that tackle attempt by Willie Teal was pathetic.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tony's TD technically is still the longest run. The Back end of the ball was around an inch from the goal line.
Henry's run, if I remember it right, another few inches it would have been a 98 yard run, and some very poor stupid tacking attempts.

Never gets old watching this play.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Danny White got knocked out and Hogeboom ultimately threw a crushing pick six to seal it for the Commanders, who went on to win the SB. :facepalm:

fivetwos

Reaction score
Danny White got knocked out and Hogeboom ultimately threw a crushing pick six to seal it for the Commanders, who went on to win the SB. :facepalm:
Good ole Dexter Manley.

Remember Whites eyes when he left the field?

Surprised he ever played again

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
My mom has told us kids to go asleep. So I watched that whole game with no volume., standing up and holding a blanket to block the light. That's just how diehard of a fan I am. I risked a whopping and a grounding just to watch my Cowboys.
:flagwave:

P.S. To the youngsters on here, us older guys used to get whippings not timeouts.