That game was ours

jesusphreak

Reaction score
The more I think about, the more I realize we beat ourselves.

Don't get me wrong, the Eagles are a good team, but they only won due to our mistakes.

* 5 turnovers
* 2 INTs by Bledsoe inside the 15
* 17 Philadelphia points off turnovers
- 7 points on Roy Williams just totally forgetting to cover his guy on one play
- 7 points off of McBriar forgetting how to catch a football
* 14 Philly points off of Patrick Watkins trying to jump the throw and then getting beaten deep

Philly is not the better team than us, we simply killed ourselves yesterday. They absolutely could not sustain drives against our defense, and the only thing that killed us is we gave up 3 big plays due to bad safety play (rookie mistakes). Our offense, while it struggled at times, also drove the ball down the field 5 or 6 times during the game, we only stopped ourselves with turnovers. And it didn't help that McBriar muffed the punt.

Seriously...we are a better team than Philly. The fact that we were 6 yards from tying in Philly with as many mistakes as we made is both frustrating and something to be enthusiastic about.

I look at it this way: 14 points were off of rookie mistakes by Watkins. I think he can and will learn from this, and we won't be seeing anymore of that this year. 7 points were off of McBriar just being a noob. I don't anticipate that happening again either.

This is a good Cowboys football team; the only question is if we can learn from our mistakes (which are what beat us). Drew had some bad throws, but McNabb had a share of his own yesterday as well. The main thing that got us beat more than anything else, imo, was our poor safety play.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Going in at half time 21-17 after that miserable start was a miracle I didnt think there was anyway they could lose that game. Of coarse I didnt count on them giving up 2 easy TDs or only scoring 3 points in the second half. Its encouraging and aggravating as all heck at the same time.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
They capitalized on our mistakes and made us pay, we didn't make them pay for theirs.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
WV Cowboy;1081021 said:
They capitalized on our mistakes and made us pay, we didn't make them pay for theirs.

That's been a hallmark of the team during the Parcells era.

When the plan is to play tight games and doesn't go for the jugular, mistakes are magnified.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
the more you think about it? this should have been evident as the game progressed... starting wtih the dumb QB play and punter fumble.

we're really not that good however... lots of potential with huge roadblocks at QB.

jesusphreak;1080852 said:
The more I think about, the more I realize we beat ourselves.

Don't get me wrong, the Eagles are a good team, but they only won due to our mistakes.

* 5 turnovers
* 2 INTs by Bledsoe inside the 15
* 17 Philadelphia points off turnovers
- 7 points on Roy Williams just totally forgetting to cover his guy on one play
- 7 points off of McBriar forgetting how to catch a football
* 14 Philly points off of Patrick Watkins trying to jump the throw and then getting beaten deep

Philly is not the better team than us, we simply killed ourselves yesterday. They absolutely could not sustain drives against our defense, and the only thing that killed us is we gave up 3 big plays due to bad safety play (rookie mistakes). Our offense, while it struggled at times, also drove the ball down the field 5 or 6 times during the game, we only stopped ourselves with turnovers. And it didn't help that McBriar muffed the punt.

Seriously...we are a better team than Philly. The fact that we were 6 yards from tying in Philly with as many mistakes as we made is both frustrating and something to be enthusiastic about.

I look at it this way: 14 points were off of rookie mistakes by Watkins. I think he can and will learn from this, and we won't be seeing anymore of that this year. 7 points were off of McBriar just being a noob. I don't anticipate that happening again either.

This is a good Cowboys football team; the only question is if we can learn from our mistakes (which are what beat us). Drew had some bad throws, but McNabb had a share of his own yesterday as well. The main thing that got us beat more than anything else, imo, was our poor safety play.

Stautner

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1081048 said:
That's been a hallmark of the team during the Parcells era.

When the plan is to play tight games and doesn't go for the jugular, mistakes are magnified.

Did you watch the game .......

We fell behind by 10 because of mistakes by Bledsoe and McBriar ..... how do you go for the jugular when you are trying to catch up?

Even when we went ahead, our offensive mistakes occurred when Bledsoe tried to throw downfield (going for the jugular?) - and got picked off, not from sitting on the ball.

If you think we lost because we were trying to sit on a lead you must have screwed up and watched some old video of a game you taped last year - either that or you are clueless to what you saw.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Stautner;1081080 said:

We fell behind by 10 because of mistakes by Bledsoe and McBriar ..... how do you go for the jugular when you are trying to catch up?

Even when we went ahead, our offensive mistakes occurred when Bledsoe tried to throw downfield (going for the jugular?) - and got picked off, not from sitting on the ball.

If you think we lost because we were trying to sit on a lead you must have screwed up and watched some old video of a game you taped last year - either that or you are clueless to what you saw.

I didn't mention the Eagles game (the Parcells era comment should have been a clue), but I did happen to notice that the game was 21-17 at the half in favor of the Cowboys. Did they come out and try to make it 28-17 quickly or did they try to grind out another drive?

When you get a team down you go for the throat. The best time to go deep is right after a turnover. Keep the momentum in your favor.

proline

Reaction score
You are what you are. Philly is 4-1, we're 2-2. They played better than we did, and right now they are playing like a better team than we are.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Stautner;1081080 said:

Leading 21-17 at halftime... you gotta come out and go for the jugular not give up 21 in 2nd half while scoring 3?

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1081141 said:
I didn't mention the Eagles game (the Parcells era comment should have been a clue), but I did happen to notice that the game was 21-17 at the half in favor of the Cowboys. Did they come out and try to make it 28-17 quickly or did they try to grind out another drive?

When you get a team down you go for the throat. The best time to go deep is right after a turnover. Keep the momentum in your favor.

That was one thing, of many, that impressed me about the late 70s Steeler teams. When they got a turnover, they often threw deep on the next play.