The #1 team this team is missing...

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Something our old semi-pro coach used to say (he never actually coached any of our games cuz he was a nutcase and had absolutely zero sense when it came to X's and O's) is "Fire and Desire".

He may have been a nutcase, but he had energy and knew what it took to play the game from "Within".

Fire and Desire. That's what the team is missing. And, IMO, it starts from the head coach.

Jimmy Johnson had Fire and Desire.

Even Barry Switzer (the weirdo that he was/is) had Fire and Desire.

Bill Parcells had Fire and Desire (and I believe it eventually would have rubbed off on the players if not for some of the weaker minded players complaining about it instead of embracing it. I'm talking the TOs, the Spears', etc...).

Teams that don't have Fire and Desire, don't win championships. This team has lots of problems, but first and foremost is leadership. We all know there's no leadership from the players or the coach, but IMO you can't have leadership from the players if you don't also have it from the coach. The players aren't going to lead themselves.

I think the worst thing that happened during parcells' era was going 10-6 that first year. It really ended up setting us back. We thought we had more than we really did.

Same thing with Wade. We came out and went 13-3 (eventhough we played like crap in december, even in the games we won) and the team thought they were better then they really were.

Another thing, I think when you have a really crappy team and you're bringing in a new coach, it's a good idea to make that coach a stern disciplinarian type (like Parcells). But when you have a playoff team and you're replacing a disciplinarian it's a bad idea to bring in a - how should I say this? - "Softy" to replace him. You don't necessarily need a carbon copy of that previous coach, but going complete opposite is a disaster cuz the players will be motivated at first cuz they're happy with the new style, but the lack of discipline will begin to show eventually.

ANd we're now seeing that with Wade's style.

I've said in the past that I think Bill Cowher is overrated and I still believe that, but I believe his style and personality would be a positive for this team. He's a stern coach, but he's not "overboard" like parcells was.

I know these thoughts aren't exactly put in order very well, but I have a lot going on in my mind right now (most of which are not football related) and I can't really put them all together right now.

Basically what I'm saying is going from Parcells' overboard strict personality to the complete opposite was a bad idea. We should have brought in another personality similiar to parcells, only not as "bad".

If you put 1 ice cube into boiling water it'll still stay hot for a long time. If you put a giant block of ice in that water, it'll cool down pretty quickly.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
See my sig. I'm the captain of this ship.

It's been the difference since the Washington game.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
CATCH17;2354532 said:
See my sig. I'm the captain of this ship.

It's been the difference since the Washington game.

Focus and Enthusiasm is all Dallas needs. Nothing else.

They need leadership too. They need it very much, especially at times like these.

I pointed that out weeks ago, that "when the chips are down, you need a vocal leader who can fire the team up".

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
how insightful........................... shouldnt this be merged with the other this team needs leadership and fire threads?