The 1992 Dallas Cowboys

TheCritic

Reaction score
I was watching some 1992 footage and thought about which players from the 1992 season that I would swap out for this year's team. Limit to 5 players. Here's mine:
1. Emmitt Smith
2. Charles Haley
3. Erik Williams
4. Ken Norton
5. Daryl Johnston

I can live without Aikman given Dak's current performance. Would love to have Irvin, but it came down to Johnston and his blocking abilities fortifying the running game. Wanted Woodson as well, but he was only a rookie who didn't start in 1992.

Who would you pick?

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Leave Dak out of it for now as this is nothing personal against him.

There aren't many QBs in NFL history you take over Aikman when it comes to the playoffs. A lot of people disrespect Aikman for the regular season and never want to examine what he did come playoff time.

That said, Emmitt and Williams are easy choices. Norton would definitely help on defense as would Johnston on O if we ran that kind of offense.

3 of my 5 would be offensive linemen, then Aikman and Emmitt.

rambo2

Reaction score
I was watching some 1992 footage and thought about which players from the 1992 season that I would swap out for this year's team. Limit to 5 players. Here's mine:
1. Emmitt Smith
2. Charles Haley
3. Erik Williams
4. Ken Norton
5. Daryl Johnston

I can live without Aikman given Dak's current performance. Would love to have Irvin, but it came down to Johnston and his blocking abilities fortifying the running game. Wanted Woodson as well, but he was only a rookie who didn't start in 1992.

Who would you pick?
I think that the current team compares well to the 1992 team.

TheCritic

Reaction score
Leave Dak out of it for now as this is nothing personal against him.

There aren't many QBs in NFL history you take over Aikman when it comes to the playoffs. A lot of people disrespect Aikman for the regular season and never want to examine what he did come playoff time.

That said, Emmitt and Williams are easy choices. Norton would definitely help on defense as would Johnston on O if we ran that kind of offense.

3 of my 5 would be offensive linemen, then Aikman and Emmitt.
That's a fair argument for Aikman as his 1992 playoff run was by far the highlight of his career. It was a close call for me as I stuck with choosing 5 players that would most improve the current team. Would I swap out Dak for Aikman just straight up? Yes I would. But not if I couldn't get the 5 on my list.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Emmitt Smith and Erik Williams tops my list.

Not so sure I wouldn't want Darren Woodson too. Didn't start as a rookie but needs to be in the Hall of Fame. People need to realize he played four positions for the Cowboys: strong safety in the base defense, linebacker in the nickel defense, slot corner in the dime defense, and all special teams.

And he excelled at it all.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
1. Emmitt Smith
2. Charles Haley
3. Erik Williams
4. Ken Norton
5. Daryl Johnston

Who would you pick?
Even though he didn't play as much in 92 I'm thinking long-term and would replace Haley with Darren Woodson. We have great pass rushers, but not great safeties. He'd be the guy everyone is hoping Overshown is and would kill it in Quinn's defense with Safeties and LBs intermixed.

I wouldn't pick Moose. Fullback not as necessary in our offense. I'd pick Aikman. Not as mobile as Dak, but he would be fine if Steele can't pick it up, because we have Erik Williams now. :cool: Anything we would lose in mobility we would gain in accuracy.

Keeping Emmitt and Ken Norton too, although I really want a DT. Not enough picks.

fivetwos

Reaction score
That team will always be known for the triplets, but the real strength was being literally eight deep with capable players on the defensive line.

They gradually lost most of that depth as free agency coincided with the building of that club being complete.

The current team isn’t as good as that one, but I do think it’s the best one since that group….meaning, it’s a better team than 2007 or 2016.

bigE79

Reaction score
That team will always be known for the triplets, but the real strength was being literally eight deep with capable players on the defensive line.

They gradually lost most of that depth as free agency coincided with the building of that club being complete.

The current team isn’t as good as that one, but I do think it’s the best one since that group….meaning, it’s a better team than 2007 or 2016.
I'll still go with the 2014 team as the best team after the 90s

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
1. Emmitt Smith
2. Charles Haley
3. Erik Williams
4. Ken Norton
5. Daryl Johnston

Who would you pick?
This statement can't be taken seriously.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Mark Tuinei
Nate Newton
Stepnoski
Larry Allen
Eric Williams

I'd take these five and roll to the winner's circle in this coming Super Bowl.

All this team needs is pass protection and running lanes.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
1. Emmitt Smith
2. Charles Haley
3. Erik Williams
4. Ken Norton
5. Daryl Johnston

Who would you pick?
Larry Allen
Emmitt
Erik Williams
Moose
Poof!
You now have a running game!

Toro9

Reaction score
1. Emmitt Smith
2. Charles Haley
3. Erik Williams
4. Ken Norton
5. Daryl Johnston

Who would you pick?
Odd selection and I'm sure you'd get grief. You're not one of those deviants, are you?

RS12

Reaction score
Kevin Smith, Darren Woodson, Thomas Everett, Leon Lett, Haley?