CFZ The 2024 Cowboys are walking into a psychological trap

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When Jerry Jones decided in late January to bring Mike McCarthy back for the 2024 season, I immediately thought of the similar decision he made with Wade Phillips after the 2009 season, and all the ramifications that followed in the 2010 season.

In Jan, 2010 the Cowboys had been destroyed in the divisional round of the playoffs in embarrassing fashion by the Brett Favre led Vikings 34-3. Most believed Wade’s time in Big D as head coach was clearly at an end. It should have been. Jerry ran it back for the 2010 season. And that team went 1-5 to start the year, then they lost Romo for the season in mid-October and ended up 1-7 after that humiliating loss to GB on national TV where it was obvious the team had quit on Wade Phillips.

Jerry of course followed the bad decision to keep Wade on another year by hiring Jason Garrett for the next 9.5 seasons. But that’s a whole different story for another time.

What concerns me for the 2024 season is having Big Mac and his coaches all on essentially one year deals. Because it sets up a psychological trap for the players that inherently comes along with that:
  • What if this team starts the season 3-5? Will the players begin to believe it’s all for nothing to keep fighting if they know Big Mac and staff are gone in 2025?
  • This scenario puts more pressure on a team and its coaching staff to win early or the slide into a 2010 type scenario that could easily follow.
  • If the front office extends Dak 2-3 more years, what happens to the future of this team if they fail early next year?
IMO, Mike McCarthy is a far better coach than Wade Phillips was and is more respected by the players. But how difficult will it be for the players to continue to fight for Mac if team gets off to a rough start knowing he has one leg out the door?

I respect Mike McCarthy and what he had done here. But this owner did him and the team no favors with this one year thing hanging over the season. Then follows that up with their usual standing pat routine while the rest of the league is reloading.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Jones did the same thing to Garrett in his lame duck year. Garrett lucked out and drafted Zeke and Dak, won COTY, and the rest is history. Since it’s obvious that Jerry was just talking crap when he said all in for free agency, Coach Mac needs an impact draft like that to save his job or he is done for.

He already had one blessing like that after his first year and that defensive debacle which already had him on the hot seat. Brought in a good new DC, happened to draft maybe the best guy in the first round, and lucked out on several journeyman free agents. Not sure Coach Mac can do magic in a bottle twice. If I had to put money down, I would go more for the Wade Phillips ending right now.

Aven8

Reaction score
Jones did the same thing to Garrett in his lame duck year. Garrett lucked out and drafted Zeke and Dak, won COTY, and the rest is history. Since it’s obvious that Jerry was just talking crap when he said all in for free agency, Coach Mac needs an impact draft like that to save his job or he is done for.

He already had one blessing like that after his first year and that defensive debacle which already had him on the hot seat. Brought in a good new DC, happened to draft maybe the best guy in the first round, and lucked out on several journeyman free agents. Not sure Coach Mac can do magic in a bottle twice. If I had to put money down, I would go more for the Wade Phillips ending right now.
If they think they can fix the defense with just the draft they are dreaming.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
No attempts to bulk up our undersized D, and I can’t wait to see what they do with the big men on the offense.

We’re walking into next season with no definite answer at center or left tackle.

Our right guard and our right tackle had the worst years of their career. Rico and Deuce as our starting backs.

Hope that Bass, Hoffman, et al can repeat some of that week 17 performance or going to be fun.

Aven8

Reaction score
No attempts to bulk up our undersized D, and I can’t wait to see what they do with the big men on the offense.

We’re walking into next season with no definite answer at center or left tackle.

Our right guard and our right tackle had the worst years of their career. Rico and Deuce as our starting backs.

Hope that Bass, Hoffman, et al can repeat some of that week 17 performance or going to be fun.
It’s bad. I assume we will jump in FA at some point, but a LT, RB, DT, at minimum two LB’s, Center, and the WR room is ugly as well. That doesn’t even include Corner and DE.

McClay is going to have to work magic for this thing to even work.

Flamma

Reaction score
I respect Mike McCarthy and what he had done here. But this owner did him and the team no favors with this one year thing hanging over the season. Then follows that up with their usual standing pat routine while the rest of the league is reloading.
This is a good question. We could see the Wade Phillips effect. Which is similar to what happened to Garrett in his final season. Not as epic as with Wade, but the players weren't playing for him towards the end there. This may very well happen again if the Cowboys F.O. uses their standard approach to the offseason.

One question looks like it has been answered. Their standard operating procedure is being used in free agency. They haven't made any room for FAs. The next question is, what are they doing with Dak? If they let him play on that cap hit, they're punting the season. If they extend him after FA, what's the point of all that cap space? This should be interesting.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is a good question. We could see the Wade Phillips effect. Which is similar to what happened to Garrett in his final season. Not as epic as with Wade, but the players weren't playing for him towards the end there. This may very well happen again if the Cowboys F.O. uses their standard approach to the offseason.

One question looks like it has been answered. Their standard operating procedure is being used in free agency. They haven't made any room for FAs. The next question is, what are they doing with Dak? If they let him play on that cap hit, they're punting the season. If they extend him after FA, what's the point of all that cap space? This should be interesting.
This is one of many reasons that having a completely unaccountable front office kills this organization. JJ and SJ’s places are never on the line so they feel no reluctance to place their coaches and players in a very tight squeeze that has never really been a great way to create a great season.

The players know the coaches are in a very tenuous position so that makes the whole season even more pressurized. If the FO just rolls with their usual dumpster dive approach to FA and expects their draft to fill all the holes, this could be a disaster season.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

That’s not the team that will line up on opening day.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This season is setting up as a tank and clean house year. They are going to make Dak and Mac prove that they are worthy of an extension. If they give them a roster with a bunch of jags and rookies and they can still make the playoffs, they might earn one...

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great post.
McFraud and staff shoulda been fired at the conclusion of the GB game.
I understand. I actually think McCarthy is the best HC we’ve had since Jimmy. His problem is 1 playoff win in 3 years including that complete embarrassment vs GB, which I think was a fire-able offense.

Now Big Mac is twisting in the wind, so whatever we think of him he’s got to put up some playoff glory or else. I just think this is a bad set up.

Flamma

Reaction score
This is one of many reasons that having a completely unaccountable front office kills this organization. JJ and SJ’s places are never on the line so they feel no reluctance to place their coaches and players in a very tight squeeze that has never really been a great way to create a great season.

The players know the coaches are in a very tenuous position so that makes the whole season even more pressurized. If the FO just rolls with their usual dumpster dive approach to FA and expects their draft to fill all the holes, this could be a disaster season.
People said our loss to GB was because the players were too confident. I got a totally different impression. To me it looked like they were too tense. Expectations were through the roof. When the game got to the point of pretty much being over, they loosened up. That's what it looked like to me. Teams that underestimate their opponents don't collapse. They punch back, like the 49ers.

I think they're taking the same approach towards the offseason. We keep having these 12 win seasons, which gives them no motivation to change. You have to ask yourself, what can we do go get over the hump? But they never ask themselves that. They just rinse and repeat, and hope for better results. The 2016 offseason was the perfect example. The team goes 13-3, and what did they do to make sure we don't meet an early exit in 2017? Absolutely nothing. This year might be worse for the reasons you've mentioned. But I wouldn't be surprised if they made the playoffs.

Havic

Reaction score
Players still have a reason to fight, especially those on the final year of their contract, playing for the bag. I don't mind everyone being on the last year of their contracts. Next season looks to be an absolute fail / rebuilding year regardless of if Dak / MM is extended. I'm ready to blow it up and start over. Would be ecstatic if Lance is that guy to lead it.

Jarntt

Reaction score
When Jerry Jones decided in late January to bring Mike McCarthy back for the 2024 season, I immediately thought of the similar decision he made within Wade Phillips after the 2009 season, and all the ramifications that followed in the 2010 season.

In Jan, 2010 the Cowboys had been destroyed in the divisional round of the playoffs in embarrassing fashion by the Brett Favre led Vikings 34-3. Most believed Wade’s time in Big D as head coach was clearly at an end. It should have been. Jerry ran it back for the 2010 season. And that team went 1-5 to start the year, then they lost Romo for the season in mid-October and ended up 1-7 after that humiliating loss to GB on national TV where it was obvious the team had quit on Wade Phillips.

Jerry of course followed the bad decision to keep Wade on another year by hiring Jason Garrett for the next 9.5 seasons. But that’s a whole different story for another time.

What concerns me for the 2024 season is having Big Mac and his coaches all on essentially one year deals. Because it sets up a psychological trap for the players that inherently comes along with that:
  • What if this team starts the season 3-5? Will the players begin to believe it’s all for nothing to keep fighting if they know Big Mac and staff are gone in 2025?
  • This scenario puts more pressure on a team and its coaching staff to win early or the slide into a 2010 type scenario that could easily follow.
  • If the front office extends Dak 2-3 more years, what happens to the future of this team if they fail early next year?
IMO, Mike McCarthy is a far better coach than Wade Phillips was and is more respected by the players. But how difficult will it be for the players to continue to fight for Mac if team gets off to a rough start knowing he has one leg out the door?

Jerry is just an idiot, he thinks he does things like this and it will motivate everyone to a level that will bring a championship but you just aren’t getting that out Of mediocre. Should have cleaned house. Just another instance of Jerry refusing to be able to admit a mistake and he instead just lets things go for far too long. Happens with coaches, players and his hiring of himself and his son. His Pride has always been his (and thus ours as well) tragic flaw

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score

Bingo, been said you are going to have to get help in FA. If you think just the draft (saw our first round pick last draft) and have to wait 2 to 3 years for them to pan out, you are in for a rude awakening.

Aven8

Reaction score
Bingo, been said you are going to have to get help in FA. If you think just the draft (saw our first round pick last draft) and have to wait 2 to 3 years for them to pan out, you are in for a rude awakening.
Micah can make all the tackles and Dak can throw balls to himself……

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
I understand. I actually think McCarthy is the best HC we’ve had since Jimmy. His problem is 1 playoff win in 3 years including that complete embarrassment vs GB, which I think was a fire-able offense.

Now Big Mac is twisting in the wind, so whatever we think of him he’s got to put up some playoff glory or else. I just think this is a bad set up.
I don't know Bob - he had a good "set-up" this year -he got home field advantage till the Championship game and a QB that had a close to MVP season.

This was it...all they had to do is win 2 home games and at least get to the SF game and they both failed miserably.

The whole team failed and thats directly on MM, they weren't close to being ready or competitive.

Whatever they have to deal with this year, they will get no quarter from me.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
This season is setting up as a tank and clean house year. They are going to make Dak and Mac prove that they are worthy of an extension. If they give them a roster with a bunch of jags and rookies and they can still make the playoffs, they might earn one...
McCarthy is gone after this year no matter what. Jerry is willing to flush this season, not that he isn't willing to flush every season if that's how it shakes down. Zimmer will get a pass and be the HC for the next 5 years, if Jerry lives that long.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
When Jerry Jones decided in late January to bring Mike McCarthy back for the 2024 season, I immediately thought of the similar decision he made within Wade Phillips after the 2009 season, and all the ramifications that followed in the 2010 season.

Great post Bob, as usual.

I hate to even mention it, but it almost seems like they are trying to sabotage the team for next season.

• All the coaches, even the new ones, on 1-yr deals.
  • Losing quality free agents and thinking they can just plug all the holes with draft picks.
  • Apparently, at least for now, sending the message to Dak that he has to play on the last year of his deal (I am not necessarily against this for the record)
  • All our division rivals getting noticeably better, the division is not going to be a cakewalk anymore.
I dont know, maybe I have been wearing a tin foil hat too long, but if you wanted to purposefully tank a season, what they are currently doing would be a good start. I dont know, what do you think Bob?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great post Bob, as usual.

I hate to even mention it, but it almost seems like they are trying to sabotage the team for next season.

• All the coaches, even the new ones, on 1-yr deals.
  • Losing quality free agents and thinking they can just plug all the holes with draft picks.
  • Apparently, at least for now, sending the message to Dak that he has to play on the last year of his deal (I am not necessarily against this for the record)
  • All our division rivals getting noticeably better, the division is not going to be a cakewalk anymore.
I dont know, maybe I have been wearing a tin foil hat too long, but if you wanted to purposefully tank a season, what they are currently doing would be a good start. I dont know, what do you think Bob?
That’s an understandable and even logical conclusion. But I don’t think Jerry thinks that way. We’ve seen him do stupid things before all while thinking he was doing the right thing. Like a decade with Garrett, lol. In other words I think Jerry thinks all this is not a bad idea. I could be wrong of course, lol.