The 3 tried-and-true general rules around cut day

igtmfo

Reaction score
Greetings.

1. Obvious - draft picks are kept above UDFAs, no matter if the UDFA had a better camp. (I think because other teams will pick up your draft picks on waivers cause they had them highly rated too - and your UDFAs weren't so highly rated by them ..) ... So if you kind of like your UDFA you can probably get him back on your practice squad. Seventh round picks may fall prey to this too because they were simply undrafted guys that you liked better than other teams that didn't feel like drafting them.

2. Your new rooks that have done good - whether picks or UDFAs, are kept above any young 25 years old-or-younger guys that have had maybe better camps than your first-year guys, but that these "drifters" have been on 2-3 practice squads the last few years. If other teams have passed repeatedly on this guy, probably he's not going to be a long-term player for you either.

3. A developmental big (rookie) is worth more than a developmental WR/CB/RB/OLB rookie ... It is harder to find a athletic 6'5" 290 lb. guy than a 6'1" 210 lb guy, no matter how many plays he has made in preseason. It seems like every year or two there is a developmental big that gets put on the 53 that no one saw coming.

So likely the Noah Browns etc. get cut. ... I don't care how many special teams they can play. Their job goes to Kavon Frazier, a draft pick last year - I think draft picks get 1 year to produce (unlike what Tom Landry said - he gave them 3 I think) .. and so the Kavon Fraziers get the benefit of the doubt ..

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Greetings.

1. Obvious - draft picks are kept above UDFAs, no matter if the UDFA had a better camp. (I think because other teams will pick up your draft picks on waivers cause they had them highly rated too - and your UDFAs weren't so highly rated by them ..) ... So if you kind of like your UDFA you can probably get him back on your practice squad. Seventh round picks may fall prey to this too because they were simply undrafted guys that you liked better than other teams that didn't feel like drafting them.

2. Your new rooks that have done good - whether picks or UDFAs, are kept above any young 25 years old-or-younger guys that have had maybe better camps than your first-year guys, but that these "drifters" have been on 2-3 practice squads the last few years. If other teams have passed repeatedly on this guy, probably he's not going to be a long-term player for you either.

3. A developmental big (rookie) is worth more than a developmental WR/CB/RB/OLB rookie ... It is harder to find a athletic 6'5" 290 lb. guy than a 6'1" 210 lb guy, no matter how many plays he has made in preseason. It seems like every year or two there is a developmental big that gets put on the 53 that no one saw coming.

So likely the Noah Browns etc. get cut. ... I don't care how many special teams they can play. Their job goes to Kavon Frazier, a draft pick last year - I think draft picks get 1 year to produce (unlike what Tom Landry said - he gave them 3 I think) .. and so the Kavon Fraziers get the benefit of the doubt ..
For #1, you get more contract control with a draft pick. A UDFA is a RFA after 3 years I believe. Doesnt equate to a whole lot more control, but its still more control

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Also, that drifter has been through NFL camps, conditioning programs, etc., before, which your rookie hasn't. So he doesn't have as much potential upside as that rookie he's not clearly beating out.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Greetings.

4. That rookie RB who ran all over everybody in the preseason and got your fans all excited still isn't making the team if he can't block, catch a pass and play special teams. Guys like him are a dime a dozen.