The 49ers say they won't use their franchise tag on WR Brandon Lloyd

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
The 49ers say they won't use their franchise tag.

The most likely candidates for the one-year tender are WR Brandon Lloyd, and LBs Julian Peterson and Derek Smith. Lloyd definitely doesn't deserve to be paid the average of the top 5 wideouts in the league. If the Niners change their mind, Peterson would have to be their top choice, but it would cost them a whopping $9 million.

Feb. 18 - 11:36 am et
Source: Sacramento Bee

Mansta54

Reaction score
I like this guy alot and he has great hands. He schooled us this year, BIGTIME..

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
The question is if JJ/BP is interested since they saw him in action first hand?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
If he's restricted then I'm sure they will tender him the highest amount( I think its under 1.5 million for the season) and keep him. Looks like the obvious decision.

sago1

Reaction score
It makes sense that he will be tendered an amount to ensure any team after him would have to pay 1st round price. He's listed in Scouts list of best FA WRs as 10th best. BTW: Lloyd was drafted by SF in 4th round of 03 draft. Last year he caught 48 passes for 733 yards with an average of 15.3; longest was 89; he made 9 plays for 20+yards & 3 plays for 40+ yards. Scored 5 TBs. He's 6-0, 192#. My comment: He's also had crappy QBs throwing to him last 1-2 years. Depending on draft/FA results, Cowboys might take another look at him just to ensure SF doesn't go cheapskate & make only minimum tender offer to get 4th pick back for him instead of first rounder. If 4th tender money offered, we could go after him (after 06 draft over) & only have to offer SF our 4th pick in 2007. Don't think their new HC would make that mistake but never know about the owners/GM.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
like many have previously stated, we haven't signed a RFA to an offer sheet in quite some time

but if we do sign someone to an offer sheet, I'd prefer it to be Kevin Curtis, faster and had a better year as a 3rd receiver

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
summerisfunner said:
like many have previously stated, we haven't signed a RFA to an offer sheet in quite some time

but if we do sign someone to an offer sheet, I'd prefer it to be Kevin Curtis, faster and had a better year as a 3rd receiver
Kevin Curtis is definitely intriguing as young WR, but I think they're going to keep him in STL. Bruce is still there, but he's on his last legs. Speed is gone.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
Kevin Curtis is definitely intriguing as young WR, but I think they're going to keep him in STL. Bruce is still there, but he's on his last legs. Speed is gone.

I bet St. Louis is thinking hard about keeping Curtis too, but with Martz gone, maybe the passing game isn't going to be as key...

I can always hope and pray :D

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
summerisfunner said:
I bet St. Louis is thinking hard about keeping Curtis too, but with Martz gone, maybe the passing game isn't going to be as key...

I can always hope and pray :D
You forget who their new HC is. Linehan who is also Minny's former OC. I think they'll still have some semblance of the greatest show on turf; the exception being the use of a running game.

I think dreaming about Curtis is an effort in uselessness...

DawnOfANewD

Reaction score
If they keep Lloyd, do they keep Arnaz Battle too? He's also a RFA but we'd only have to give up a 6th for him. He's relatively unproven but a good young tall possession receiver who might make an ideal 4th/project WR...

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Bullet22 said:
If we don't sign TO, I like Moulds...

I wanna get younger at WR. LLoyd is pretty fast and has good hands. Crayton could develop into our possession guy.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Billy Bullocks said:
I wanna get younger at WR. LLoyd is pretty fast and has good hands. Crayton could develop into our possession guy.

is lloyd fast enough to be a deep threat?? despite his great hands i always thought of him more of a possession guy

gbrittain

Reaction score
Future 585 said:
is lloyd fast enough to be a deep threat?? despite his great hands i always thought of him more of a possession guy

I dont know how fast he is, but I do know he is faster than Anthony Henry.

He looked pretty impressive against Dallas, but many WRs look really good against Dallas early in the season.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Mansta54 said:
I like this guy alot and he has great hands. He schooled us this year, BIGTIME..
Yeah funny that you mention that because I was just watching the game today. I have been watching one game each week since the Superbowl each Sunday, should take me up until NFL Europe. :D

Lloyd is an above average receiver but, at this stage, he's still not better than Terry Glenn. He's also going to command some nice money. I'd rather save our salary cap space for offensive line, safety, kicker and linebacker (all needs going into 2005 too, incidentally).

Smart money is for him to land in Philadelphia.

rlgiv

Reaction score
I like Loyd but, I don't see him being signed by Dallas. He is going to be wanting big money and the best he would be in Dallas at this point is third on the depth chart. He would be REALLY nice depth in the event of a Terry Glenn injury (which is very possible). We have more pressing needs at positions that need to contribute as full time starters to be spending alot of money on a third WR.