The 53 is muddled

erod

Reaction score
The roster as I see it coming together. Surprise additions in bold.

I don't think they want to lose Jones, and I don't think he'll get through waivers. Same for Jenkins and Frazier. That could cost JJ Wilcox his job.

I haven't heard the time frame on Nzeocha's injury, so I put him on PUP.

If they keep a fullback on the roster, I don't think it's either of the Smith boys.

QB: Romo, Prescott, Showers
RB: Elliott, Morris, Dunbar, Jackson
FB: none

WR: Dez, Williams, Beasley, Butler, Whitehead, Jones
TE: Witten, Escobar, Swaim
OL: Smith, Free, Green, Collins, Martin, Leary, Looney, Frederick

DT: Thornton, Crawford, Crawford, Collins, Jenkins, McClain
DE: Mayowa, Irving, Russell, Tapper
LB: Lee, Wilber, Hitchens, Wilson, Gachkar, Akunne
CB: Scandrick, Claiborne, Carr, Brown, Thomas, Olatoye
S: Church, Jones, Heath, Frazier

K/P/LS: Bailey, Jones, Ladocouer

Suspended: Lawrence, Gregory
PUP: Hanna, McFadden, Smith, Nzeocha

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The roster as I see it coming together. Surprise additions in bold.

I don't think they want to lose Jones, and I don't think he'll get through waivers. Same for Jenkins and Frazier. That could cost JJ Wilcox his job.

I haven't heard the time frame on Nzeocha's injury, so I put him on PUP.

If they keep a fullback on the roster, I don't think it's either of the Smith boys.

QB: Romo, Prescott, Showers
FB: none

OL: Smith, Free, Green, Collins, Martin, Leary, Looney, Frederick

LB: Lee, Wilber, Hitchens, Wilson, Gachkar, Akunne

PUP: Hanna, McFadden, Smith, Nzeocha

An excellent list in my opinion.

One question though, was Durant intentionally omitted from your list?

I agree with it overall, but I can some wiggling going on yet with both a safety position and quarterback number three. I think both of those spots are still in play and subject to change.

erod

Reaction score

I agree with it overall, but I can some wiggling going on yet with both a safety position and quarterback number three. I think both of those spots are still in play and subject to change.

I just don't think Durant will be here if he's "seeing if he can still play." Doesn't seem like his heart is in it.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
He's my guess.

QB: Romo, Prescott
OL: Smith, Free, Green, Collins, Martin, Leary, Looney, Frederick, TBD OL

LB: Lee, Wilber, Hitchens, Wilson, Durant, Nzeocha

PUP: Hanna, McFadden, Smith,

Verdict

Reaction score

I agree about QB #3. Not sure if we keep one or not. I think it is possible that Showers could clear waivers and make the practice squad. Some other guys would not clear waivers.

Jenkins would appear to be in the class of players that probably would not clear waivers. It leaves us crowded at the 3 tech, but I would make a roster spot for him. Maybe you go with a 3 man rotation at the 3 and keep the guys really fresh.

erod

Reaction score
He's my guess.

Romo's uncertainty doesn't allow for just two QBs in my opinion.

Also, there's so much versatility with Collins and Martin, I don't think 9 linemen are necessary. Leary backs up both guards, and if Smith or Free got hurt, Collins could kick out left and Martin could kick out to the right. Looney is pretty good, too. Green would only be necessary if both tackles were down.

I have no idea if Nzeocha is down for a few weeks or a few months.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just don't think Durant will be here if he's "seeing if he can still play." Doesn't seem like his heart is in it.

One thing I definitely agree with you on are the fullbacks. The team doesn't have one and neither of the experiments are working.

I'm not sure if you read or listen to the Blogging the Boys site, but for some reason, they're inexplicably talking up Rod Smith as a 'lock' for the position and I have no idea why. The guy looks like a 'dog chasing cars' out there, without a clue as to what he's supposed to be doing or who he's supposed to be blocking.

I've been advocating giving James Casey a call myself as I think he could be a versatile, Jack-of-all-trades guy that could help this team in a number of ways. Picking up some of Hanna's loss, being a better fullback option, and playing some good special teams too.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree about QB #3. Not sure if we keep one or not. I think it is possible that Showers could clear waivers and make the practice squad. Some other guys would not clear waivers.

Jenkins would appear to be in the class of players that probably would not clear waivers. It leaves us crowded at the 3 tech, but I would make a roster spot for him. Maybe you go with a 3 man rotation at the 3 and keep the guys really fresh.

Yeah, I think Jenkins stays too as he's shown enough to warrant it. And I think that he and Jack Crawford will be 'utility defensive linemen' that the team essentially plugs in wherever they have a need.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Also, there's so much versatility with Collins and Martin, I don't think 9 linemen are necessary. Leary backs up both guards, and if Smith or Free got hurt, Collins could kick out left and Martin could kick out to the right. Looney is pretty good, too. Green would only be necessary if both tackles were down.

I liked what I saw from OT Bryan Wittzmann the other night against Miami.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score

If they go 8 OL, then I think they go long on DT or LB, maybe TE. No way Showers make the 53 IMO.

Verdict

Reaction score
He's my guess.

I like your projected 53, but I wonder if Tapper and Nzeocha will start off on some sort of pup list?

Verdict

Reaction score
If they go 8 OL, then I think they go long on DT or LB, maybe TE. No way Showers make the 53 IMO.

I think whether to keep Showers is an interesting debate. On one hand, they may not want to risk losing whatever development Showers has shown them over the past year, but I doubt anyone would claim him. If we end up playing Showers, I think we are probably up the creek without a paddle anyway.

I sure would hate to see us keep Showers and use a roster spot on him, and lose a player that will play every week if we keep him on the 53. I think you are likely right, we will see if Showers can make it to the practice squad.

Verdict

Reaction score
If he won the swing tackle job over Green, I wouldn't shed a tear.

I hear lots of different views on Green. Some think he is good, but gets tired. Others think he just flat out sucks. There is a huge difference between the two. If he just gets tired then there is hope. If he just flat out sucks, less so.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If he won the swing tackle job over Green, I wouldn't shed a tear.

I'm higher on Green than that. But I think Wittzmann could conceivably play his way into a roster spot.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The PUP list is coming in handy short term.
Is there a limit on how many can be on it?

Also, who goes after week 4.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Pup and NFI are only for guys that were on it at the beginning of training camp and never practiced in training camp. Mayowa, Collins & Dunbar were on it but have now practiced so they for example are not eligible.

Hanna is currently on PUP

McFadden and Jaylon Smith are on NFI since they did not get injured at a Cowboys practice or facility.