Twitter: "The 88 Club" is making a commercial

ItzKelz

Reaction score
EW3yrDfUEAUcm2S.jpg:large

MyFairLady

Reaction score
There may have never been a player as gifted as Dez who worked less hard on their craft. He does not belong with Pearson and Irvin.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
There may have never been a player as gifted as Dez who worked less hard on their craft. He does not belong with Pearson and Irvin.
I think the motivation to work harder for Irvin and Pearson came from not just their attitudes, but also the players around them. They had teams full of leaders so they had no choice but to work harder.

Dez didn't have that around him and still put all-time franchise great numbers.

I can't hate on him because he did his job. The guy around him not so much.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Anyone that picks Kirk Cousins to win the MVP this year should be kicked out of all clubs!

Big_D

Reaction score
Where's Jackie Harris and Antonio Bryant????

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I think the motivation to work harder for Irvin and Pearson came from not just their attitudes, but also the players around them. They had teams full of leaders so they had no choice but to work harder.

Perhaps you are right but if he was our best player he needed to be the one setting the example and working harder than everyone. He did the opposite. And his all time great numbers are era inflated stats. He was as physically gifted as anyone I have ever seen and IMHO he blew it every chance he got.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

The "didn't work hard" criticism of Dez is completely unfounded. Dez worked hard to maximize HIS gifts. He wasn't fast (by NFL receiver standards) but he could jump 42 inches into the air and could outmuscle 99% of DBs who ever played. He was also an absolute beast to tackle in the open field. Then there were those hands. Maybe the best set in franchise history. Certainly the strongest. He routinely used them to pluck the ball away from DBs even when the throw was bad and by rights should have been an INT. If the Cowboys had simply gone to him when the matchups favored him (which was nearly every Sunday) he would have put up Megatron type numbers and the Cowboys likely would have won a lot more games. They wasted him in much the same way they wasted Amari Cooper when he was here. The bottom line is Dez worked to be great at what HE could do.. He didn't need to try to be Megatron or Julio or anybody else. He could dominate just being Dez. But only if he was given the opportunity.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The "didn't work hard" criticism of Dez is completely unfounded. Dez worked hard to maximize HIS gifts. He wasn't fast (by NFL receiver standards) but he could jump 42 inches into the air and could outmuscle 99% of DBs who ever played. He was also an absolute beast to tackle in the open field. Then there were those hands. Maybe the best set in franchise history. Certainly the strongest. He routinely used them to pluck the ball away from DBs even when the throw was bad and by rights should have been an INT. If the Cowboys had simply gone to him when the matchups favored him (which was nearly every Sunday) he would have put up Megatron type numbers and the Cowboys likely would have won a lot more games. They wasted him in much the same way they wasted Amari Cooper when he was here. The bottom line is Dez worked to be great at what HE could do.. He didn't need to try to be Megatron or Julio or anybody else. He could dominate just being Dez. But only if he was given the opportunity.
The criticism is mainly that he didn't work on his route running, and judging by the rounding of his routes, that criticism seems justified. When he started to slow down, that might've helped him stay relevant.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I agree. I don't think it is fair to say that he didn't work hard. It's more like he didn't work smart. Route-running was never a strength and he didn't work to strengthen it. Instead, his focus was on improving his physical skills. As those physical skills declined because of injury, he didn't have sharp route-running to fall back on. He couldn't escape coverage with cuts and set-up moves and he couldn't go up and win the jump ball consistently anymore. It's totally unfair to him, though, to mistake that with not working hard.

I think it's important to note that during this time, he went from playing with a vet QB who had learned to trust him on jump balls and knew where to place it to a young QB who was cautious with the ball. That didn't help Dez do what he was best at doing. Bryant might have lasted a little longer with Romo. That's not a knock on Dak, just the difference in their styles and experience.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
The criticism is mainly that he didn't work on his route running, and judging by the rounding of his routes, that criticism seems justified. When he started to slow down, that might've helped him stay relevant.

Perhaps. But "slowing down" was not what proved Dez's undoing. It was injuries. The knee, the foot, then finally the achilles. The thing is Dez could roll out of bed right now and post up a DB on an 8 yard in cut and if the ball is delivered on time he will catch it 98 out of a 100 times. On at least 20 out of those he will break the tackle of that DB and turn the 8 yard in cut into a 20+ yard play. Maybe even a house call. Speed was never a big part of his game.. So losing it really would not have played that big a part without the injuries.

Don't even get me started on what he could do in the red zone. A throw it up and go git it receiver is something this offense has needed in close since the day he was let go. I have often maintained that this version of Dez would mesh much better with this version of Dak. Early on Dak simply wasn't throwing the ball to you if you didn't have at least a yard of separation. Now he trusts himself to place the ball where only his guy can get it.. and in Dez's case that means putting the ball up where only HE can get it. Covered or not.. Dez is coming down with 80% of those.

Last but not least was his alleged "diva" persona. Accurate or not, the mediots always painted Dez as a problem child. Maybe some of it was deserved but as we learned on several occasions, a lot of it wasn't. But it fit the narrative so they ran with it. I think it dogs him to this day and I think he reached a point in his life where he wasn't interested in fighting it anymore. At some point a person gets tired of swimming upstream. Dez probably still has 20 million bucks in the bank.. So he has no need to.