The Anti-Drew Henson NFL Europe Diary

doomsday81

Reaction score
I found this little nugget. This should create a bit of a stir around here. Check halfway down the page and you'll see Henson's name in bold.

http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=latestnewsdetail&pid=15904&pcid=41

[The Rhein Fire has NFL Europe’s marquee player on their roster – Dallas Cowboys quarterback Drew Henson.]​

Yeah, we’re going up against Drew this week. There will be a lot of interest in this game back home. I’ve seen on film that he stares down his receivers a lot. I’m excited. I want to get a pick this week off him. I think I’ll have some opportunities.

Funxva

Inventor of the Whizzinator
Reaction score
OOh nice find. I wonder if Drew visits the website. Maybe he can trick the guy into biting.

Eddie

Reaction score
doomsday81 said:
I found this little nugget. This should create a bit of a stir around here. Check halfway down the page and you'll see Henson's name in bold.

Very cool. Let's see if Bubba Ray can live up to his words.

Them be fightin' words, but at least he called Drew a Marquee player. Shows the kind of respect Hensen is achieving out there.

But let's see if Drew really does stare down his receivers.

When's the next game on NFL Network?

lkelly

Reaction score
Time to work on the no-look pass, Drew. Too bad you wasted all those years in baseball when some time on the hardwood might have paid greater dividends.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
lkelly said:
Time to work on the no-look pass, Drew. Too bad you wasted all those years in baseball when some time on the hardwood might have paid greater dividends.

Lol...good one.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Funxva said:
OOh nice find. I wonder if Drew visits the website. Maybe he can trick the guy into biting.

Yeah, I was wondering about the same thing. I don't get the staring down the WR thing either? How do they really know? YOu cannot really see where his eyes are, other than helmet.

If Drew is really staring WRs, he should have been picked off pretty easily several times already, cause he wasn't throwing just wide open throws all the time.

I guess we shall see.

superpunk

Reaction score
RCF, I do get the impression that he's staring his receiver down. But only on short, fasst routes, mostly on the outs. Can't see his eyes obviously, but you can often tell right where he's going. Thing is, he doesn't turn it loose to that guy if the defender has coverage, or hasn't yet. If the guy is open, stare away, I say.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
superpunk said:
RCF, I do get the impression that he's staring his receiver down. But only on short, fasst routes, mostly on the outs. Can't see his eyes obviously, but you can often tell right where he's going. Thing is, he doesn't turn it loose to that guy if the defender has coverage, or hasn't yet. If the guy is open, stare away, I say.

I'd be shocked if you couldn't say this about any QB in NFLE right now - they have very little time to work with the WRs -- if you don't have a feel for the player, you kinda need to stare at the guy to make sure he's running right route.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Its also not the best TV coverage like the NFL...With 10 cameras and different views. When you see the back of his helmet its hard to see what his eyes are looking at.

superpunk

Reaction score
abersonc said:
I'd be shocked if you couldn't say this about any QB in NFLE right now - they have very little time to work with the WRs -- if you don't have a feel for the player, you kinda need to stare at the guy to make sure he's running right route.

Like I said, the routes I see him doing it on, the receiver is WIDE open, and there's absolutely no chance of the DB jumping it. It's not a bad thing - yet.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
abersonc said:

Hmm... You might be correct in that. That makes sense too. But since there discussions during Quincy/Hutch era about staring down WRs, I have made a habit of watching any chance I get QBs when they throw. Most often, when I had the chance to see the eyes and throw at the same time, although their helmet is pointed or towards the general location where the ball is going, they are seldom eyeing the WR they are throwing to, till last minute.

Mostly they are darting between certain locations. At least in NFL anyway. I think far too many times we as fans think that just because the Helmet is towards that location, they are staring down WRs, which not normally the case.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Jarv said:
Its also not the best TV coverage like the NFL...With 10 cameras and different views. When you see the back of his helmet its hard to see what his eyes are looking at.

Exactly my point too. Plus, I don't know if its changed this year or not, but this year the coverage seems perticularly bad than from the previous years I watched. Before they used to have good replay shots etc, this year thats no longer the case and seems hard to get a clear picture of the game too. Probably they had more money cut down on that budget?

Bledsoe4MVP

Benched
Reaction score
doomsday81 said:

[The Rhein Fire has NFL Europe’s marquee player on their roster – Dallas Cowboys quarterback Drew Henson.]​

Yeah, we’re going up against Drew this week. There will be a lot of interest in this game back home. I’ve seen on film that he stares down his receivers a lot. I’m excited. I want to get a pick this week off him. I think I’ll have some opportunities.
I've noticed that too when I studied game film of Henson and his shoddy mechanics, at least I'm not alone in my observations.