Video: The best Neville Gallimore video out there. Must see

Hardline

Reaction score
I hate that video. Too many highlights against the Longhorns.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with all of that.

My evaluation is incomplete because I don't know what Gallimore is going to be asked to do. If we had Marinelli's one gap scheme with lots of stunting, I'd feel pretty confident giving him a solid 2nd rounder grade because as you said, I think he can win a high percentage of snap rushing the passer from the outside shoulder and stunting. In a multiple front.....I can't really give a grade until I know what he's gonna be asked to do, and I've seen him attempt to do it. I haven't done an exhausting analysis of his tape but in the 3-4 cut up games I watched I only saw stunting with a handful of one gap pass rushing.

One of Will McClay's tendencies is to look at players that are likely to be rated lower than their actual talent because of scheme issues.

I would have to dig through some old notes to remember all of the players that I've identified as fitting that concept but there have been several.

One example is Maliek Collins. He was used more as a run stuffer in college but that was opposite of the best way to use him. He was a better player for the Cowboys than most fans think. His constant injures were his biggest issue.

I still believe that Trysten Hill might become a decent NFL player. He didn't overwhelmed physically when he played last season. They had him practice all off-season and play the preseason games at 3tech but then played him at 1tech in the games he played during the season.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Me, not gonna be surprised if we find out that it was never that Hill isn't good enough, but that he was being expected to fit his talent/skills into a system rather than the system morphing in ways that accentuate players' talent.

At least, we know, Mac has been upfront to say he wants to do the latter, not the former. We'll see.
Yeah I’d love to see how Tomsula feels about him.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The more I see the more I like about this guy. I can not wait to see him in a game. That goes for all our drafted players.

Bluefin

Reaction score
Man I hope Trysten Hill has a pulse..........I've been wrong about DT in the past........I hope this is finally the year we are dominant there.
Me, not gonna be surprised if we find out that it was never that Hill isn't good enough, but that he was being expected to fit his talent/skills into a system rather than the system morphing in ways that accentuate players' talent.

At least, we know, Mac has been upfront to say he wants to do the latter, not the former. We'll see.
I've been super critical of the Trysten Hill selection last year, but we're all hoping the light will come on in year two with new defensive coordinator Mike Nolan and esteemed defensive line coach Jim Tomsula. It was past time for Rod Marinelli to leave, but DL assistant coach Leon Lett was retained.

That should be a plus for Hill, but he's going to be fighting for snaps at 3Tech behind starter Gerald McCoy with rookie Neville Gallimore.

Maliek Collins only signed a 1 year deal to follow Marinelli to Las Vegas, and he wants nothing to do with Raiders' 2018 second rounder (#57 overall) P.J. Hall. He's on the trade block and could be in danger of being released.

Hall is from Texas and sometimes a change in scenery can be exactly what the doctor ordered. If Hill doesn't come around, you have to wonder if a trade might come together.

We have no idea what the new coaches think of Hill, though Leon Lett is of course in his player's corner.

Waiting to find out sucks.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Man I hope Trysten Hill has a pulse..........I've been wrong about DT in the past........I hope this is finally the year we are dominant there.
Trysten Hill is the complete opposite of Neville Gallimore. And which D-Coordinator picked who? This tape proves Marinelli had no clue. We are so lucky to now have Coach McCarthy, Coach Nolan, Coach Tomsula, Coach Philbin, Coach Fassel and the rest of their coaching staff! Just look at every pick in this draft and where they were taken. Arguably the #1 best draft this year out of all 32 teams and one of the best drafts in franchise history...and this in only their 1st year as the new Dallas Cowboys coaching group. Proves the experience, proven ingenuity and intellect of this coaching staff. Credit to Jerry, Stephen and the Cowboys front office organization. Can't wait for this 2020 season and more to come under this new Cowboys organization and coaching staff.

Flamma

Reaction score
I saw a couple of highlights of him where he reminded me a little of Warren Sapp. He’s a third round pick and there’s no assurances but watching his tape gives you plenty to be encouraged about with him at the NFL level.

To be fair he was 46 on the big board. I didn't even think he was there when we were picking at 82. And when you compare his tape to Trysten Hill it isn't even close. I realize it's against college kids, many of these offensive lineman don't even look like they're interested. He won't get that luxury in the NFL. So I just try to focus on what he's doing and his ball awareness. He's pretty powerful and agile for a big dude. That one trait of his you see in a lot of his film is slipping through the line after his first move. And does it quickly. He's not just trying to power his way through. He's trying to get past the offensive lineman at the point of contact.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
The not so amazing thing is that majority of his rushes were stunts which kind of negates the 1-tech factor. Not knocking him, good player, but just thought that has to be acknowledged. I reckon Oklahoma stunted about 70% of the time which makes stat comparisons to the likes of Kinlaw and Brown pretty much meaningless. He's a hard evaluation IMO because of all the stunts.

The video above shows him from the NT quite a bit and Im not sure he runs a stunt once.

Edit: Actually, I guess they do stunt their line, but he makes plays in that video without it, too.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Size, strength, speed, quickness and desire are some of the things that make Gallimore special.

Put them all together and you have a workable package that DTs all need to get their jobs done.

Nevertheless, Gallimore is still relatively inexperienced. His development is just a matter of time.

I'm as sure as can be that Coach Tomsula is extremely anxious to get him in camp to train him.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
To be fair he was 46 on the big board. I didn't even think he was there when we were picking at 82. And when you compare his tape to Trysten Hill it isn't even close. I realize it's against college kids, many of these offensive lineman don't even look like they're interested. He won't get that luxury in the NFL. So I just try to focus on what he's doing and his ball awareness. He's pretty powerful and agile for a big dude. That one trait of his you see in a lot of his film is slipping through the line after his first move. And does it quickly. He's not just trying to power his way through. He's trying to get past the offensive lineman at the point of contact.

I didn’t see anything on tape the day we drafted Hill that made me think he was worth a second round pick. Gallimore on the other hand has the tape you would expect to see from a first round talent. Granted it’s college highlights and there’s been some impressive tape of college players that went bust in the NFL but Gallimore can really shoot through a gap and make plays. His quickness should create some problems upfront for offenses if he can take some of the traits he showed in college to the next level.

DanA

Reaction score
The video above shows him from the NT quite a bit and Im not sure he runs a stunt once.

Edit: Actually, I guess they do stunt their line, but he makes plays in that video without it, too.

That cut up is probably his 6-8 best plays from what must be about 1200 in his college career. I'm talking about evaluating a full game cut-up of all his snaps. For what it's worth, I'm quite high on him, certainly higher than 3rd round. I'm just not sure exactly how high to put him in this scheme. In Marinelli's scheme, I'd be happy to take him top 40. In a multiple front where he 2-gaps 1/3 of the time he might drop to end of the 2nd with upside because there's a very good chance the only reason we haven't seen him two-gap could be he simply wasn't ever asked to do it.

pgreptom

Reaction score
Trysten Hill is the complete opposite of Neville Gallimore. And which D-Coordinator picked who? This tape proves Marinelli had no clue. We are so lucky to now have Coach McCarthy, Coach Nolan, Coach Tomsula, Coach Philbin, Coach Fassel and the rest of their coaching staff! Just look at every pick in this draft and where they were taken. Arguably the #1 best draft this year out of all 32 teams and one of the best drafts in franchise history...and this in only their 1st year as the new Dallas Cowboys coaching group. Proves the experience, proven ingenuity and intellect of this coaching staff. Credit to Jerry, Stephen and the Cowboys front office organization. Can't wait for this 2020 season and more to come under this new Cowboys organization and coaching staff.

On paper. No draft is a sure fire thing. And unless this class produces a HOF, it's nowhere near one of the best.

Recency bias, man.

PUSHfold

Reaction score
On paper. No draft is a sure fire thing. And unless this class produces a HOF, it's nowhere near one of the best.

Recency bias, man.

For real...at this point in time they're just names on a roster who haven't done crap in the NFL.
I really liked this draft but nobody will know whether this was a good or bad draft for years to come.