The big run by Barkley: Analysis

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Only a few said that Heath was to blame. LVE was primary culprit most likely. But Heath also took a bad angle, which he admitted.

Either way Heath is not going to be able to tackle Barkley in that situation. He could only have attempted to redirect him inside.

People would still blame Heath even if he had forced Barkley back inside because it still would have been a 25 yard gain or more.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jaylon and LVE, I think lost sight for Saquan for a split second. Then Saquan did an unbelievable cut and burst of speed. I can't believe Lewis caught him. That was an amazing run by Saquan. I knew he was fast, however I did not know he was that explosive. Not a bad angle by Heath or the others, that was a dang athletic move by Saquan. He caught the entire defense. I tip my hat to Saquan.

The D-line and Lbs have got to get off their blocks and stop the acceleration of Saquan.

It was a booboo by the Cowboys. Tavon Austin could have made that run. The blocking especially by WRs/TEs was really good on this play.

Awuzie showed amazing speed. He blew past Lewis and others.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
It was a booboo by the Cowboys. Tavon Austin could have made that run. The blocking especially by WRs/TEs was really good on this play.

Awuzie showed amazing speed. He blew past Lewis and others.
He was 5 yards deeper than lewis and they were both just as close to the opposite sideline. They actually stay pretty parallel in terms of their angle. But chido had a deeper position to start the pursuit. Lewis was also trying to disengage off a block as well, chido had a free run.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like Heath's reaction in the Sounds from the Game video. He basically admitted he was helpless. He charged forward and took a bad angle instead of staying in front of him and breaking down in order to try to slow him down, but no, the big run isn't on Heath.
Heath just needed to get outside to entice Barkley back inside. Heath still wouldn't be able to make the tackle but it would be closer for Awuzie and others to get to Barkley; although they lose the help of the sideline and Awuzie alone in the middle of the field would not be enough. Lewis or somebody would need to be in a good position also.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This play is straight up LVE faults for not covering his gap

slant all the DL to cover an interiorial gap, then the LB have that backside gap responsibility off that slant.

You'll notice where Jaylon ends up

Gap responsibility
X.Woods and Brown shouldn't have both been stuck on outside contain. One of them played it wrong also.

HungryLion

Reaction score
This thread makes me feel better about the fact that Heath is a mediocre at best starting safety, who continues to start for the Cowboys by default because the FO continuously chooses to not invest any major draft capital into the position.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Brown had outside contain. He attacked the line of scrimmage once he read run. But he tried to run under a block, which is a no-no.

Crawford was doubled and pushed into LVE's spot. So LVE attacked the line of scrimmage and just pushed Crawford in the back. Instead of stepping over and covering Crawford's spot.

Once Jeff Heath saw Barkley breaking through he took a couple of steps forward, attacking the line of scrimmage, which put him at a bad angle.

Brown was being aggressive. Heath was being aggressive. But LVE just pushing Crawford in the back is inexcusable. You play a one gap system so if your gap is taken then you take the next gap.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly right. That big run was all on LVE. He blocked himself out of the play. He made the same mistake all game long during the Rams playoff loss.
The Rams game was a different issue.

The Cowboys were going to fail against the blocking method employed by the Rams based on alignment. The coaches needed to change the alignment and assignments to stop the Rams.

This play against the Giants looked like the Cowboys were changing things up. Crawford squeezing the inside gap is not something that happened much if at all in the Rams game.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
The Rams game was a different issue.

The Cowboys were going to fail against the blocking method employed by the Rams based on alignment. The coaches needed to change the alignment and assignments to stop the Rams.

This play against the Giants looked like the Cowboys were changing things up. Crawford squeezing the inside gap is not something that happened much if at all in the Rams game.
The blocking scheme is not my argument. My argument is LVE making the same mistake of taking the wrong gap/angle and allowing himself to easily get washed out of the way/play. He did it repeatedly during the Rams playoff loss.

NEODOG

44cowboys22
Reaction score

X.Woods and Brown shouldn't have both been stuck on outside contain. One of them played it wrong also.

Straight up Brown on the over play. I would imagine he knows if #26 breaks woods contain - he's gone. So when there was no LVE in that gap- it multipled his over play..... But Brown was solid in gap responsibilities on this play

MiddleStar

Reaction score
Great job on this analysis. I I was going to post this in another thread before it was deleted (I hadn't seen your post yet).

"That run was all on LVE, he filled the wrong hole. He went to the left and actually ran up someone's back side and left the hole to the right open. Also the OL did a good job of creating that hole. As for Heath, yes he took a bad angle but let's be real, it was Barkley (untouched with a full head of steam) , and the first run of the season. To say he saw no one in PS that fast would be an understatement. The only thing I think he might have been able to do would have been to get to his right and possibly forced Barkley to his right and into possible traffic. Heath had to go one way or the other (he wasn't going to tackle him) and I think he went the wrong way. But that is easier for me to say than to actually do."

As for Brown, I I think he did the right thing. As he is coming up he sees that the end has been sealed off by the Giant's blocker, and leaving the outside open. Brown decided to go to the right (outside) and to protect that gap, thinking that there were enough bodies inside to fill the holes. He was taking away the one place no one else could. Maybe he shouldn't have but if he went the other way and Barkley bounced it outside it would have been a similar play.

LVE had a bad first drive. Besides this play, he was also responsible for Engram on the TD. He was a lot better the rest of the game. 1st drive of the season, I think he will be OK.

Brooksey

Reaction score

It's on Crawford, he has to set the edge and he blew it. He got sucked/blocked inside, no way that was a solo stunt inside for him with Vander Esch covering the flat.

He's a Marinelli favorite, Nick Hayden part 2 except making 10 mil. Hopefully one more week and we never see him at right defensive end again.

He should be backing up Maliek Collins week 3

Knotamus

Reaction score
It was 1 play and not typical of their more common run defense where Crawford as the RDE would normally have outside contain.

Great job OP

In no way is this Heath’s fault. And I don’t see where this is LVE’s fault either, although I can see why people would may believe it is. Funny how some are just giving Crawford a pass on this one though.

Crawford should have maintained his gap, period. Exp against a RB as good as Saquon. So let me get this straight...Crawford crashed to the inside and left the outside contain/gap responsibilities to two CBs? Why on earth would this be a good idea against the caliber of RB that Saquon is?

Better idea.. Crawford maintain outside gap and funnel Saquon right to the charging LVE. I believe LVE ended up exactly where he was supposed to be to make a play on Saquon had Crawford did was he should have done. At the very least.. Saquon avoids LVE and has to bounce to the outside where Woods or Brown could have made a play or force out of bounds. Fact: This is a direct cause of Crawford not playing during the preseason.

Last edited:

GenoT

Reaction score
Nice job, xw! I enjoyed reading that and then rewatching the play on YouTube.

It really underlines how just a couple of split-second missteps can allow a ballcarrier to get out into space for a big gain. And when you consider it was Saquon Barkley, we were lucky he didn’t go house on that play.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
2ND & 1 AT NYG 18(11:25)
(11:25) S.Barkley up the middle pushed ob at DAL 23 for 59 yards (C.Awuzie).

Breakdown
  • Crawford RDE squeezes down to close the inside gap.
  • FS Woods was up on this play and played outside contain.
  • He initially had inside position on the blocker but moved outside.
  • CB Brown was already on the outside.
  • Woods should know that Brown has the outside because the outside WR is blocking Woods.
  • Brown and Woods both end up covering the outside.
  • Crawford had squeezed down the inside gap that Barkley was initially going to run through.
  • Vander Esch also covered the same gap that Crawford had closed down.
  • That meant no defenders except Heath who was 15 yards back at the point Barkley crosses the line.
  • The gap is technically outside of the LT who had moved inside blocking Crawford.
  • Giants #88 did block Crawford in the back but that was not the cause of the big gain.
  • Vander Esch appears to have been the primary cause.
  • X.Woods was likely the next in line for blame.
    • Only 1 of Woods or Brown should have stayed outside.
  • There was no chance that Heath could make that tackle.
    • It is possible that Heath was expected to cut off Barkley's outside path.
    • If Heath had cut off the outside then there are defenders to the inside.
Anybody heaping blame on Heath for this play has an agenda.
If Heath could make that open field tackle on Barkley, then Barkley is not very good.

2ND & 1 AT NYG 18(11:25)
(11:25) S.Barkley up the middle pushed ob at DAL 23 for 59 yards (C.Awuzie).

Breakdown
  • Crawford RDE squeezes down to close the inside gap.
  • FS Woods was up on this play and played outside contain.
  • He initially had inside position on the blocker but moved outside.
  • CB Brown was already on the outside.
  • Woods should know that Brown has the outside because the outside WR is blocking Woods.
  • Brown and Woods both end up covering the outside.
  • Crawford had squeezed down the inside gap that Barkley was initially going to run through.
  • Vander Esch also covered the same gap that Crawford had closed down.
  • That meant no defenders except Heath who was 15 yards back at the point Barkley crosses the line.
  • The gap is technically outside of the LT who had moved inside blocking Crawford.
  • Giants #88 did block Crawford in the back but that was not the cause of the big gain.
  • Vander Esch appears to have been the primary cause.
  • X.Woods was likely the next in line for blame.
    • Only 1 of Woods or Brown should have stayed outside.
  • There was no chance that Heath could make that tackle.
    • It is possible that Heath was expected to cut off Barkley's outside path.
    • If Heath had cut off the outside then there are defenders to the inside.
Anybody heaping blame on Heath for this play has an agenda.
If Heath could make that open field tackle on Barkley, then Barkley is not very good.

I've seen others insist it was Crawford's fault. Like you, I put it on LVE.

But you let Heath off too easily. I think he should have, as you say, cut off the outside to push Barkley in toward the rest of the team. Letting him have the edge was a big problem.

And Heath did have a chance to make the tackle. Not a good chance, but a chance. He could have charged and tried to take Barkley's legs out. Instead he played passive and played to his worst trait, his lateral agility. When Barkley just ran by him, Heath then discovered that Barkley was faster than him too, so he couldn't cut Barkley off with the sidelines either.

The GOAT made all the wrong decisions. The Wolf Hunter screwed up too. Saquon was a tough draw for the first carry of the season. If you're rusty, you're in trouble. We were. Oh well.

For the rest of the game, Barkley had about a 5 yard average. Nothing to get worked up about. I'll give them a Mulligan on the first carry of the season.

They picked a good game to screw up.