the biggest play of the game

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
the punt where battle kicked the damn ball.

that was the turning point of this damn game.

DTK

Reaction score
I disagree. It was Newman letting Holmes get past him on 3rd and forever. Totally changed the momentum of the game.

Reaction score
The Newman one was big, gave them the belief they could move the ball, but for me, the punt return at 13-3 was bigger. Basically gift wrapped them three points.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Battle didn't kick it. The ball bounced off of him. Horrendous luck on that one.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
DTK;2471564 said:
I disagree. It was Newman letting Holmes get past him on 3rd and forever. Totally changed the momentum of the game.

that was the second biggest.

we would have had the ball at the thirty or so on that punt.

newman played lights out other than that one play.

it did shift momentum..but that was well after the battle kick.

DTK

Reaction score
At the time of Newman's miscue, the Steelers offense was reeling. We had all the momentum. After that play, their offense had all the momentum.

The punt was simple bad luck. Just like the bounce that Holmes got on the punt he returned to the 25.

kmp77

Reaction score
lane;2471556 said:
the punt where battle kicked the damn ball.

that was the turning point of this damn game.

I agree. This is where it started going down. We stopped them and then we were about to get the ball near the 30. We'd have scored at least 3 there.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
kmp77;2471638 said:
I agree. This is where it started going down. We stopped them and then we were about to get the ball near the 30. We'd have scored at least 3 there.

very true..

our players don't seem to look at the damn ball.

just like when romo fumbled ...the o-line just stand there and look at it.

DTK

Reaction score
lane;2471709 said:
very true..

our players don't seem to look at the damn ball.

just like when romo fumbled ...the o-line just stand there and look at it.
I don't think you can blame guys that are trying to block for not knowing where the ball was. I thought it was curious that on the next punt, Crayton was the returner, not Jones. It was Jones that didn't get down field to let everyone know to get out of the way. And the lineman?? They were blocking with their back to the ball!

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
There were a few but Newman getting beat for that 40+ yard play on 3rd and 16 when we had all the momentum hurt. If they don't make that play there they go 3 and out right after we'd just scored on 3 straight possessions to make it 13-3. There would have been a chance for good field position and a chance to run more valuable clock.

That was a huge play.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
DTK;2471629 said:
At the time of Newman's miscue, the Steelers offense was reeling. We had all the momentum. After that play, their offense had all the momentum.

After that play, we stopped them on downs and got the ball back. The next time they had the ball, they gained 2 yards. That's not having momentum. If anything, our defense had taken momentum back.

The punt was simple bad luck. Just like the bounce that Holmes got on the punt he returned to the 25.

The punt was irrelevant, just like the 12-men call, Ellis' offside and a bunch of other plays that people are complaining about.

The biggest play of the game, obviously, was the interception returned for the winning touchdown.

The long punt return was huge because it allowed the Steelers to pull within one score without moving the ball.

And, of course, about six plays on their touchdown drive were costly, too. But none of them lost the game, like the interception return did.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
kmp77;2471638 said:

It started going down when we were losing 3-0?

How in the world did we manage to have a 10-point lead with less than eight minutes left after going downhill from a three-point deficit?

Everson24

Reaction score
DTK;2471564 said:

This was the play of the game to me. We were starting to dominate them with our big O ine and they were demoralized at the time. That play gave them life and changed the field position as well as the momentum.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2471814 said:
After that play, we stopped them on downs and got the ball back. The next time they had the ball, they gained 2 yards. That's not having momentum. If anything, our defense had taken momentum back.

The punt was irrelevant, just like the 12-men call, Ellis' offside and a bunch of other plays that people are complaining about.

The biggest play of the game, obviously, was the interception returned for the winning touchdown.

The long punt return was huge because it allowed the Steelers to pull within one score without moving the ball.

And, of course, about six plays on their touchdown drive were costly, too. But none of them lost the game, like the interception return did.

i guarantee we would have got at least a fg if battle had not kicked the damn ball.

mr. statistic guy

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
lane;2471862 said:
i guarantee we would have got at least a fg if battle had not kicked the **** ball.

You can't guarantee that. The very next time we had the ball, we turned it over on the first play. Who's to say that wouldn't have happened? And we had six drives when we didn't even gain a first down. Who's to say that wouldn't have been the seventh? If so, it would have been a difficult field-goal attempt, if we even attempted one.

And even if it did cost us a field goal, how was it the "turning point" of the game, considering that the game was scoreless at the time, and we ended up with a 13-3 lead.

mr. statistic guy

Ooh, good insult. I'm impressed.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2471948 said:
You can't guarantee that. The very next time we had the ball, we turned it over on the first play. Who's to say that wouldn't have happened? And we had six drives when we didn't even gain a first down. Who's to say that wouldn't have been the seventh? If so, it would have been a difficult field-goal attempt, if we even attempted one.

And even if it did cost us a field goal, how was it the "turning point" of the game, considering that the game was scoreless at the time, and we ended up with a 13-3 lead.

Ooh, good insult. I'm impressed.

this is my opinion..

our defense set us up shop countless times today and our offense let their effort go to waste time and time again.

that kicked ball on the punt was huge.

romo is the true villain though.

DTK

Reaction score
lane;2471999 said:
this is my opinion..

our defense set us up shop countless times today and our offense let their effort go to waste time and time again.

that kicked ball on the punt was huge.

romo is the true villain though.

Did he play bad? YES. But calling the guy a villain is a bit extreme, no?

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
My opinion, there was no one big play.

For a few years now, this team has had problems going for the kill. The end of the game was a total collapse, offense, special teams and defense. Nothing matters with regard to what happened prior to the score being 13-3. They had that lead with 7 minutes left and couldn't hold it. That's all that matters.

The offense went three and out at a crucial time, leaving over 5 minutes on the clock and gave up the INT for a TD...the special teams allowed a 35 yard punt return and gained zilch on the two kick offs after the Pitt TD's...and the defense, great as they were, melted when they needed to step up. The pass rush vanished.

The offense though, in my opinion, was the worst offender. Toward the end of the game they looked exactly like they did vs the Giants in the playoffs. Rushing snaps to beat the play clock...Witten and Romo on different pages...pass protection broke down...Choice dropped an easy pass that could have gained some serious yardage.

I think this team has a serious problem when it's time to step up for the kill. And I have no idea how that is remedied.

DTK

Reaction score
Juke99;2472105 said:
My opinion, there was no one big play.

For a few years now, this team has had problems going for the kill. The end of the game was a total collapse, offense, special teams and defense. Nothing matters with regard to what happened prior to the score being 13-3. They had that lead with 7 minutes left and couldn't hold it. That's all that matters.

The offense went three and out at a crucial time, leaving over 5 minutes on the clock and gave up the INT for a TD...the special teams allowed a 35 yard punt return and gained zilch on the two kick offs after the Pitt TD's...and the defense, great as they were, melted when they needed to step up. The pass rush vanished.

The offense though, in my opinion, was the worst offender. Toward the end of the game they looked exactly like they did vs the Giants in the playoffs. Rushing snaps to beat the play clock...Witten and Romo on different pages...pass protection broke down...Choice dropped an easy pass that could have gained some serious yardage.

I think this team has a serious problem when it's time to step up for the kill. And I have no idea how that is remedied.
Good post.