The biggest story is still Dak's contract situation

Blitzen

Reaction score
Let’s not speculate if it will or will not happen in this thread please.

For most Cowboys’ fans, everything still hinges on whether the front office extends Dak’s contract (new contract) or allows him to enter free agency. I still think that the key date is the official start of regular season games. If no new contract is in place at that time, then my guess is that he gets to free agency and leaves the team.

This Trey Lance situation is strange because he almost certainly gets no starts unless the team is abysmal or extraordinarily great. If he gets no meaningful playing time, he will get a very small contract offer for low end backup QB money. Too many QB’s hitting the open market next year, with too few starting roles open. Russell Wilson, Justin Fields, and Dak, Daniel Jones, Jimmy G, Tua (maybe), Geno Smith (maybe).

Now, we all just get to wait to see what happens.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
At least 66 quarterbacks made starts in each of the last two seasons. Since 2020 Dak has played every game in a season just once. I would say there is a very good chance that Trey Lance hits the field at some point this year as long as he wins the backup role. If he shows anything when he is on the field I have to believe he gets an incentive based contract from someone that will let him compete for a starting role.

Jipper

Reaction score

For most Cowboys’ fans, everything still hinges on whether the front office extends Dak’s contract (new contract) or allows him to enter free agency. I still think that the key date is the official start of regular season games. If no new contract is in place at that time, then my guess is that he gets to free agency and leaves the team.

This Trey Lance situation is strange because he almost certainly gets no starts unless the team is abysmal or extraordinarily great. If he gets no meaningful playing time, he will get a very small contract offer for low end backup QB money. Too many QB’s hitting the open market next year, with too few starting roles open. Russell Wilson, Justin Fields, and Dak, Daniel Jones, Jimmy G, Tua (maybe), Geno Smith (maybe).

not sure what the goal of this thread is if you don't want people to speculate on what's going to happen....is this just a statement or did you want to discuss something?

Blitzen

Reaction score
not sure what the goal of this thread is if you don't want people to speculate on what's going to happen....is this just a statement or did you want to discuss something?

You could discuss what you think would happen if it does or does not happen, next coaching staff that might take over and the direction they would go with. Next year’s potential starting QB and offensive approach. Which current starters might also be in their last season, and what that might mean. Whether the team extends any younger starters and which ones and for how long. Lots of topics without getting into the whole-“they will extend him.” “No they won’t…”

Swagger

Reaction score
Whichever side people are on and regardless of what the front office state, if Patrick Mahomes or someone like Josh Allen was the QB then do you think they wouldn't have a new contract already signed and sealed during their supposed peak years before entering the last year of their current contract?

Exactly. That in itself tells you a lot.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
QB is always the biggest story. They affect the team in the biggest way.

Flamma

Reaction score

What situation? They don't want to give him a 55-60 million dollar multi year extension plus 100M on top of that. It's a no brainer, he's not worth anywhere near that. They're taking the big hit this year and will reevaluate next year.

Dak isn't going to care. It's up to the front office to care. Dak couldn't care less if the entire team were UFAs as long as he got 80 Mil a year. That's today's NFL.

fivetwos

Reaction score

I’m not seeing any big mystery.

There’s no reason for Dak to accept some sort of discount this close to free agency. I’m sure they have tried and were rebuffed.

From the teams’ point of view, if you’re going to give him top, top dollar, they may as well see if he gets through this year healthy before making the investment.

Maybe Dak misses most of the year and Lance tears it up, and they prefer that direction. That’s not likely, but the team may as well let that play out.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
You could discuss what you think would happen if it does or does not happen, next coaching staff that might take over and the direction they would go with. Next year’s potential starting QB and offensive approach. Which current starters might also be in their last season, and what that might mean. Whether the team extends any younger starters and which ones and for how long. Lots of topics without getting into the whole-“they will extend him.” “No they won’t…”
Whatever the decision on Dak it will come after the decision on McCarthy.