The Blocked Punt

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I heard a lot of confusion (and crying) about the blocked punt that somehow turned into a first down for the Broncos.

The refs made the right call.

Think of the blocked punt no different than a muffed kick. In fact, if it makes it easier to understand imagine if the Cowboys player only got a piece of the ball and the punt still traveled 25-30 yards down the field and then Cedric Wilson or Lamb tried to return it but bobbled the ball and the Broncos recovered. That's first down Denver.

There's no conspiracy.

The fact the Broncos recovered it behind the 1st down marker has ZERO relevance to the play.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I heard a lot of confusion (and crying) about the blocked punt that somehow turned into a first down for the Broncos.

Think of the blocked punt no different than a muffed kick. In fact, if it makes it easier to understand imagine if the Cowboys player only got a piece of the ball and the punt still traveled 25-30 yards down the field and then Cedric Wilson or Lamb tried to return it but bobbled the ball and the Broncos recovered. That's first down Denver.

There's no conspiracy.

The fact the Broncos recovered it behind the 1st down marker has ZERO relevance to the play.
It’s a bad rule though.

Canada180

bannedontherun88
Reaction score
The right call was made as far as the rule goes.
But thats a downright dumb rule.
Dallas makes a great play in blocking the kick. That doesnt happen often in any game.
Dallas never had possession of the ball.
Denver never made it to the first down line. How do they get rewarded for friggin up a punt and then not advancing to the first down line?
Thats a crazy azz rule

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

There's no conspiracy.

Just a strange play. So obscure I dont necessarily blame the players for not having situational awareness. I mean when has that ever happened.

But if it happened to Giants, you know Roger's buddy Mara would get the call!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pansophy

Reaction score
It was the right call, but an idiotic rule that needs to be changed. They should at least have to get beyond the 1st down marker.
If they blocked the punt and it didn't make it past the line of scrimmage then they would have had to make a first down. If we tipped the punt and it still went 50 yards, and our player muffed it and Denver got it no one would be complaining.

So what do you think the rule should be if not the line of scrimmage that the punt has to get past for it to be considered a punt? It's the most sensible rule, we were just unfortunate the ball only went a few yards past the line of scrimmage and our guy thought he could grab it. If you want to be mad, be mad at the player who lept in the air to try to field the punt. He should have left it alone and it would have been our ball.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score

There's no conspiracy.

It’s a blatantly stupid rule that penalizes the team that made a great play. There’s simply no excuse for a rule that dumb.

Alweezy

Reaction score

There's no conspiracy.

The fact that you don't have to get a 1st down needs to be adjusted. What if someone blocks the punt, and it hits off of someone's leg? Now all of a sudden it's an automatic first down for the punting team?

I'm not sure what the football move the rule is protecting in that instance.