The Blocked Punt

aikemirv

Reaction score
The same “they should be rewarded” angle should not even be a consideration.

You could also make a similar claim on a typical punt play where the ball travels 45-50 yards down the field. If the ball hits one of the receiving team’s blockers in the back and the punting team recovers, it could be argued “that’s not fair…the punting team was stopped on 3rd down…they shouldn’t be rewarded the ball back.”

Where does it end?
It is fair, he has to be expecting that 45-50 yards down the field - apples and oranges.

aikemirv

Reaction score
The same "should not be rewarded" logic applies to fumbling the ball forward on 4th down or near the end of the game. No matter whether it is purposeful or not, you don't reward the offense for a fumble!

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
The same "should not be rewarded" logic applies to fumbling the ball forward on 4th down or near the end of the game. No matter whether it is purposeful or not, you don't reward the offense for a fumble!

You can’t advance a fumble unless it’s the same player so what are you referring to?

vicjagger

Reaction score
Don't like the rule. It was the correct call. Its a luck rule. Didn't make enough for the first down but was touched.
I am not sure why so many on here bring up the failure to make a1st down. Denver got the ball on a change of possession. Once they re-obtained possession, the 4th down play was over.

Sheepherder

Reaction score
I am not sure why so many on here bring up the failure to make a1st down. Denver got the ball on a change of possession. Once they re-obtained possession, the 4th down play was over.
Jerry Jones said it was an odd call because it rewards the team that made the bad play. To me , since Denver did not advance the ball to the 1st down marker, it should have been Dallas ball. Nobody will change my mind on that one.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Does the change of possession occur once the punt (whether tipped or not) crosses the LOS? Example, 4&4 and the receiving team commits a penalty while the punt is in the air. They don't give a first down to the kicking team.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
if it went the other way, they blocked our kick and we got a first out of it you guys would have no problem
sheesh

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
if it went the other way, they blocked our kick and we got a first out of it you guys would have no problem
sheesh

I wouldn't be so sure. If it had been the Cowboys' punt bocked, but we ended up with the ball, I would have been surprised. I would have admitted that we dodged a bullet via a strange rule. Then in the offseason if they debated changing the rule, I would be down with that.

I've said all along, I'm good with the way the refs handled it. They interpreted the rule correctly as the rule now stands. But if the league chooses to debate the current rule and consider a change in the offseason, I'm down with that.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
sheesh

Those calls have never seemed to go our way, See Leon Lett. lol The call by the refs were legit, it sucked but it is what it is.

kskboys

Reaction score
Jerry Jones said it was an odd call because it rewards the team that made the bad play. To me , since Denver did not advance the ball to the 1st down marker, it should have been Dallas ball. Nobody will change my mind on that one.
We muffed the punt return. We're the ones who made the bad play.

Gawd, guys, this is simple stuff. As soon as the ball traveled past the LOS, it was a punt. We tried to catch it and muffed it. So, it's now a fumble.

Jerry's being a moron here.

kskboys

Reaction score
I wouldn't be so sure. If it had been the Cowboys' punt bocked, but we ended up with the ball, I would have been surprised. I would have admitted that we dodged a bullet via a strange rule. Then in the offseason if they debated changing the rule, I would be down with that.

I've said all along, I'm good with the way the refs handled it. They interpreted the rule correctly as the rule now stands. But if the league chooses to debate the current rule and consider a change in the offseason, I'm down with that.
You want to change the rule that if the punt returner fumbles that he gets to keep the ball anyway? How does that make sense?

jrumann59

Reaction score
It should be similar to a QB fumble, if they recover they should still have to get the first down, because the possession never changed. It should NOT be treated like a muffed punt.
well except it was punt a regardless if it was partially blocked, either fully block it or know the rules. If they fully blocked it like the one 2 games ago it would not have been an issue.

jrumann59

Reaction score
The kicking team should have to get the beyond the first down marker to maintain possession. It was 4th down and possession had not changed. The rule in this instance should require advancement past the marker. If a punt is blocked and the punter (or any other member of the kicking team) picks up the ball and takes off, they have to pick up a first down to keep the ball. Same thing should logically apply here. We never had possession of the ball and it was 4th down. Common sense.
except for the fact nashon wright tried to possess the ball, if CeeDee or Wilson drops a punt and the other team recovers there should be no penalty.....

kskboys

Reaction score
I didn't say that. I was talking about changing the rule on a blocked punt, not any punt.
But the returner fumbled it. Sorry, not understanding what you want to do here.

Since the ball went past the LOS, it was a tipped punt. So, you're saying if a punt gets tipped, the return team can fumble it and still retain possession when the coverage team recovers?

kskboys

Reaction score
Do you want a blocked punt that's touched by the receiving team after the block to not be a live ball?
We're talking about changing the way the NFL is played here. I'm thinking most don't realize what they're asking for.

kskboys

Reaction score
the first down marker is irrelevant, once the ball passes the LOS it is a punt whether 1 yard or 50 yard, if the receiving team attempts to pick up the ball and fails it is a muff.
I mean, it really is this simple.