The Blocked Punt

MarcusRock

Reaction score
In case anyone cares about what the actual rule says on the matter here it is. Applicable highlight in red.

SECTION 3 CATCH OR RECOVERY OF A SCRIMMAGE KICK
ARTICLE 1. KICKERS CATCH OR RECOVER BEHIND LINE. When a scrimmage kick is caught or recovered by the kicking
team behind the line of scrimmage, the kicking team may advance, even if the ball has crossed the line and returned behind the
line. (3-25-4)

Item 1. Same Series of Downs. If the ball has returned behind the line untouched by the receiving team beyond the line, and the
kicking team catches or recovers the ball, the existing series of downs continues unless the kicking team advances the ball to the
line to gain, in which case there is a new series of downs.

Item 2. New Series of Downs. If the ball has returned behind the line after being touched by the receiving team beyond the line,
and the kicking team catches or recovers the ball, by rule there has been a change of possession, and the kicking team will be
awarded a new series of downs.

Proof

Reaction score
I don’t think it’s a dumb rule. The rule makes sense. It’s just a weird circumstance, as many have said here, this rarely happens. That being said the application of the rule by the officials was correct. The result just sucked. Personally I think that eschewing two very makeable field goal attempts and 6 probable points was worse. Because of that the offense was chasing those points all day. I really feel that set the tone.

that’s fine and i agree with your logic, i, me personally think it is. likely due to the specific circumstances, and only arguing how i understand why folks are confused or also think it’s silly

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
In case anyone cares about what the actual rule says on the matter here it is. Applicable highlight in red.

SECTION 3 CATCH OR RECOVERY OF A SCRIMMAGE KICK
ARTICLE 1. KICKERS CATCH OR RECOVER BEHIND LINE. When a scrimmage kick is caught or recovered by the kicking
team behind the line of scrimmage, the kicking team may advance, even if the ball has crossed the line and returned behind the
line. (3-25-4)

Item 1. Same Series of Downs. If the ball has returned behind the line untouched by the receiving team beyond the line, and the
kicking team catches or recovers the ball, the existing series of downs continues unless the kicking team advances the ball to the
line to gain, in which case there is a new series of downs.

Item 2. New Series of Downs. If the ball has returned behind the line after being touched by the receiving team beyond the line,
and the kicking team catches or recovers the ball, by rule there has been a change of possession, and the kicking team will be
awarded a new series of downs.

No way man!

Doesn't feel right!

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
lol. man go somewhere else with that condescending nonsense. i’m very clearly talking about possession in the traditional sense. i’ve already agreed that it was the correct call.

"it’s not, because we never had possession, which is more my point. fourth down, possession never changed and they didn’t advance past the marker. just doesn’t compute to first down (to me)"

Yeah, precisely, which is why you don't understand the difference when you talk about "because we never had possession." A punted football is an automatic change in possession, smh.

Last edited:

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
not even remotely. i don’t have a face on this board, it’s just words in the ether. i know you like to keep score (like when fuzzy constantly eats your lunch) but i don’t have those insecurities

No, you're literally pivoting. You can't run from your own quotes little one ("but we didn't have full possession?!?!?!" luuulz

Proof

Reaction score
No, you're literally pivoting. You can't run from your own quotes little one ("but we didn't have full possession?!?!?!" luuulz

right right. not sure how to be any more clear. i've absolutely lost interest in this back and forth though. especially considering the play was ultimately pretty inconsequential overall. feel however you like.

"little one" is cute though. i'm flattered

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
right right. not sure how to be any more clear. i've absolutely lost interest in this back and forth though. especially considering the play was ultimately pretty inconsequential overall. feel however you like.

"little one" is cute though. i'm flattered

Cool man. Hey it's not all negative. You learned something about football today.

Canada180

bannedontherun88
Reaction score
Lol, why is it a dumb rule? Because it happened to the Cowboys?

The ball went past the LOS scrimmage like a punt. The Cowboys player (N. Wright) touched the ball but failed to maintain possession, so it's a live ball.

End of story. It sucks because it seems like it would have been a momentum changer but it doesn't make it a dumb rule because it's consistently applied to all punts.

The 1st down marker has ZERO to do with it. You can keep referencing it but it aine to the subject. You dont choose what is talked about

Youre absolutely fan
Why do I hate this rule?

I think a lot of other posters have chimed in about being rewarded posession without getting the first down.

Here is another prime example of why I think it is not a valid representation of the fairness of the game.

Say you have a Broncos RB get the ball punched out, a Cowboys defencder tries to corral the ball, and touches it, and a Broncos player jumps on the ball shrot of the first down marker. The Broncos don't get a first down.

In the above scenario the Dallas player did not establish possession, he just touches it, but if the Broncos recover it short of the first down marker they don't get (4) new fresh downs.

How is this situation different? Both a live balls. Just one came off a foot and the other out of a ball carriers arms.

You shouldn't be rewarded for not making the first down marker. Period. That is the point of the game process. YOu get first downs to consistently move down the field.

But but but Cal Poly doesnt want us to mention the first down marker

Gaede

Reaction score
That rule needs to be changed. It makes no sense.

Canada180

bannedontherun88
Reaction score
Lol, why is it a dumb rule? Because it happened to the Cowboys?

The ball went past the LOS scrimmage like a punt. The Cowboys player (N. Wright) touched the ball but failed to maintain possession, so it's a live ball.

End of story. It sucks because it seems like it would have been a momentum changer but it doesn't make it a dumb rule because it's consistently applied to all punts.

The 1st down marker has ZERO to do with it. You can keep referencing it but it doesn't matter.

Not once did I infer that it was because it happened to the cowboys.
Assume much?
The ball never made it to the first down marker. It just seems weird to be awarded a first down under those pretenses.

No need to be condescending CalPoly.

I said the rule was followed. Its humorous that you cant understand why Cowboys fans might be disappointed in that outcome.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Not once did I infer that it was because it happened to the cowboys.
Assume much?
The ball never made it to the first down marker. It just seems weird to be awarded a first down under those pretenses.

No need to be condescending CalPoly.

I said the rule was followed. Its humorous that you cant understand why Cowboys fans might be disappointed in that outcome.

Lol, okay man, it didn't make it past the first down marker that's completely irrelevant once the ball is punted.....but okay.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I heard a lot of confusion (and crying) about the blocked punt that somehow turned into a first down for the Broncos.

The refs made the right call.

Think of the blocked punt no different than a muffed kick. In fact, if it makes it easier to understand imagine if the Cowboys player only got a piece of the ball and the punt still traveled 25-30 yards down the field and then Cedric Wilson or Lamb tried to return it but bobbled the ball and the Broncos recovered. That's first down Denver.

There's no conspiracy.

The fact the Broncos recovered it behind the 1st down marker has ZERO relevance to the play.
Yep. Just a bad break.

BIGDen

Dr. Freakasaurus
Reaction score
I heard a lot of confusion (and crying) about the blocked punt that somehow turned into a first down for the Broncos.

The refs made the right call.

Think of the blocked punt no different than a muffed kick. In fact, if it makes it easier to understand imagine if the Cowboys player only got a piece of the ball and the punt still traveled 25-30 yards down the field and then Cedric Wilson or Lamb tried to return it but bobbled the ball and the Broncos recovered. That's first down Denver.

There's no conspiracy.

The fact the Broncos recovered it behind the 1st down marker has ZERO relevance to the play.

It’s a dumb rule. If a kick is blocked and it’s redirected off of another player’s helmet, and the kicking team recovers it, they get rewarded for that? The Cowboys were essentially punished for making a good play.