The blueprint

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
There's no blueprint. The plan has ALWAYS been to stop the run and make Dak beat em with the pass. It didn't work yesterday. The offense was horrible.

Defense didn't help either, Course, being on the field for the majority of the game doesn't help either.

A real bad loss. Moving on.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Listened to all the postgame interviews with players and coaches. This may be the blueprint teams try:

Against our offense:
- Focus on stopping the run by getting men in the box. Make the passing game work very hard.
- Play aggressive, match-up man against our WR and TE and hit them at the LOS - make it hard for them to get open. Don't play soft.
- Don't blitz - rush 3 or 4

Against our defense
- Run between the tackles and don't stop doing it
- Run crossing routes with the WR
- Don't be afraid to throw at Diggs - but throw it over the top and on crossing patterns

We shall see if we can beat this blueprint.
Yea, there were a lot of blueprints produced in the NFL yesterday. The Cowboys were not mentally prepared to play a good team with a hunger to win and got their butts kicked. Now, on to the Falcons.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Listened to all the postgame interviews with players and coaches. This may be the blueprint teams try:

Against our offense:
- Focus on stopping the run by getting men in the box. Make the passing game work very hard.
- Play aggressive, match-up man against our WR and TE and hit them at the LOS - make it hard for them to get open. Don't play soft.

Against our defense
- Don't be afraid to throw at Diggs - but throw it over the top and on crossing patterns

no it wasnt, was a bad game, typically we make a team pay for daring Dak and this passing offense to throw..i hope they try that,

i doubt dak misses 3 big throws to w/o receivers, doubt ac and lamb drop and easy catches, and doubt Diggs gets lit up like that..

I truly doubt all those bounces go the way of the other team..was an oddball game..nothing went right.,,blueprint is not what happened bad execution did.i saw wide open Wrs and underestimating denver and not playing or those first 2 FGs etc.The coaches felt they could easily make that up but couldn't because of all those mistakes..Dak had one of his worst games ive ever seen..wont happen every week my friend..

Cowboys
packers
Rams
raiders
bengals
eagles

Bucs/WFT off

all lost as well.. we lost no grounds really..we could have gained ground but the payoff picture is still exactly how it was going into the game..

a loss is loss..

lets let it go 24 hr rule

Creeper

Reaction score
I am not surprised this is the blue print. I have been saying since the season began I would run right at Dallas DL. The formula is to run between the ends and DTs. It seems to me when the opposing offense does this, someone should be filling those gaps. I think this is where DLaw will help. He is not as easy to block.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Even he knows that this Cowboys offense could get right back to scoring 30+ points a game and that the Cowboys are good enough to win a solid 12+ games this season, which is why he is already setting up the excuses to say that the division is weak or to call the Cowboys opponents "weak" or "not" good teams. And if the Cowboys end up with only about 3 or 4 losses on together on the season, then the narrative will be that only the teams that Cowboys lost to should be considered good or tough teams.

100% correct.

But TB, GB, LAR etc… they are “good” teams who only beat great teams and their losses were never a reflection on their QBs bc — after all— their QBs are “elite” while Dak must remain “non elite” and forever propped up by his supporting cast.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
no it wasnt, was a bad game, typically we make a team pay for daring Dak and this passing offense to throw..i hope they try that,

i doubt dak misses 3 big throws to w/o receivers, doubt ac and lamb drop and easy catches, and doubt Diggs gets lit up like that..

I truly doubt all those bounces go the way of the other team..was an oddball game..nothing went right.,,blueprint is not what happened bad execution did.i saw wide open Wrs and underestimating denver and not playing or those first 2 FGs etc.The coaches felt they could easily make that up but couldn't because of all those mistakes..Dak had one of his worst games ive ever seen..wont happen every week my friend..

Cowboys
packers
Rams
raiders
bengals
eagles

Bucs/WFT off

all lost as well.. we lost no grounds really..we could have gained ground but the payoff picture is still exactly how it was going into the game..

a loss is loss..

lets let it go 24 hr rule

I said yesterday that McCarthy made some bad decisions, that the team has usually been able to overcome with a high scoring offense and defense that has been getting turnovers. That didn't happen yesterday and the team got dominated as a result, in the worst game they have had in seasons. But, as you said, other Cowboys opponents can't hope for Dak to be so off or for this Cowboys team as a whole to play as badly as they did yesterday.

Even Denver coach knows this, which is why he said he wouldn't be surprised if the Cowboys scored 35 points in the rest of their games or that he couldn't envision the Cowboys losing many more games this season.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Denver was able to get pressure without blitzing. They could drop more in coverage as a result. They also used disguised coverage more than Dak had seen this year.

Other teams will try to copy, but I'm confident Moore and Dak will work in the lab and adjust.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
You thought the Broncos were tough on Dak.
The Titan's defense would destroy Prescott.....literally!
No doubt that they are one of, if not the, best team in football. Fortunately we don't have to worry about them. A lot can happen in the second half of the season

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Titans are 7-2.

And yeah, it’s called physical defense making the game sloppy and ugly. That’s always been the blueprint against high-flying offenses.

It demonstrates how much physicality has been taken away from defenses by the league that all these offenses and especially mediocre QBs, of which Stafford isn’t as far as today’s generation of QBs is, can get away with a bunch of mis-direction and gimmicky plays, which they couldn’t back in the old days.
The Jets beat the Titans. The J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets. Just saying.

khiladi

Reaction score
Yeah, the Patriots tried this and gave us the most passing yards the whole season and most under Bellicheck. If Dak is right and gets the protection, he and the receivers will have a field day against man coverage.

Patriots are a bend don’t break scheme with Bellichek. He doesn’t care about yards, it’s the red zone defense where they excel. We got a pick 6.

And that’s pretty much and QB in the NFL…

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I agree with both sides. Goshan is on to something. By now, teams are starting to know our strengths/weaknesses. McCarthy even said in one of his PCs, about week 6 or 7 the rest of the league knows you well.

And I also agree with the other side that we were a self fulfilling prophecy by just playing like crap. Every opposing coach looks like a genius when we can't block, throw or catch.

Probably not a coincidence either that some of this started after the Pats game. Chargers/Broncos, same coaching school, tough games. Pats, tough game. Buccs tough but maybe too early in the season. If I'm the opponent, I'm watching game tape of those 3 games to expose us - Pats, Broncos, Chargers.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The blueprint to beating the Cowboys is shoving Dak's head up his butt and then allowing him to play or just being the better team. TB was the better team, Denver was the other way. ;)

glimmerman

Reaction score
Same blueprint. We didn’t practice hard enough and team wasn’t prepared. The flash plays that usually result in scores didn’t happen. Dropped passes and bad ones. Left your Defense on the field to long. Coaching is as much to blame as the players.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Against our offense:

Against our defense

Hitting our WR's at the line could be a good recipe for giving up a 30+ yard play. Our WR's are very good at getting behind CB's even without jams.

Lets hope they do this

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
The blueprint his definitely in place. Now let's see how the Cowboys can adjust and which teams can exploit them like the Broncos did. Now we are about to see how GREAT Kellen Moore actually is.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/lists/broncos-cowboys-dak-prescott-vic-fangio-caden-sterns/

Head coach Mike McCarthy was asked about the high rate of man and match coverage, and if it was similar to what the Cowboys faced against the Chargers and head coach Brandon Staley in a 20-17 Week 2 win for the Cowboys.

“They [the Chargers] were softer. They were a little more ‘read,’ not as aggressive. This is a plan that I’m sure we’ll see more of, so we need to make sure we take the time to address everything and learn from this experience today.”

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
What "blueprint"? Did the Bucs, Chargers, Eagles, Panthers, Giants, Patriots, and Vikings' coaching staffs spend their week of preparation for the Cowboys watching Netflix instead of game film? And it took the genius Vic Fangio to crack the code?

Overreaction is easy after a game like this. Let's just accept the fact the entire team was hot garbage yesterday and move on. If teams want to copy Denver from now on the Cowboys will be in excellent shape because they'll be ready for it this time too.

quickccc

Reaction score

Against our offense:

Against our defense

- Dak was beating these loaded box and blitzers with his quick read- release (before this game) ..and he wasn't missing targets the way he was this Denver game.
He was taking care of secondaries who were left exposed by the extra blitizing safety

- Teams were already loading up extra men in the box, because they wanted to stop the Zeke-pollard run game and make the Cowboys one-dimensional
what did Denver do differently with their load up front that was different than what Belicheck, Bucs and others did ?

Another problem was the OT protection (to start) ...
- do we remember Pat Mahomes being hurried and harassed all night in the SB without his starting OTs' ?