The Broncos may be forced to release stalwart DE Trevor Pryce

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
The Broncos may be forced to release stalwart DE Trevor Pryce.

"I don't know which way we'll go with it," GM Ted Sundquist said. "But we can't carry him at the current number." Pryce currently counts for more than $10 million against the cap. Cutting Pryce would save the team $8.53 million. He's still the team's best defensive lineman so look for an effort to be made at restructuring.

Feb. 23 - 9:58 am et
Source: Rocky Mountain News

TobiasEagle77

Reaction score
I hope their is some validity to this but I can't find anything about it on the Rocky Mountain News website.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Broncos GM looking for signs
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]By LEE RASIZER
Scripps-McClatchy Western Service
23-FEB-06
[/FONT]

INDIANAPOLIS -- The NFL draft combine is all about prospects.
And for Denver Broncos general manager Ted Sundquist this week, that doesn't necessarily just mean judging this year's crop of pro-eligible players.
He also will devote time to attempting to sign the Broncos' two highest-profile pending free agents, defensive tackle Gerard Warren and left tackle Matt Lepsis, in between watching 40-yard dash times and cone drills.
Sundquist plans to meet with representatives for both players in the next few days.
And in gauging the Broncos' chances of retaining the two, prospects are good both will be back.
A best-case scenario is to have both contracts wrapped up before returning home early next week.
"I'd like to have that done," Sundquist said Wednesday.
Asked if that was realistic, he said, "I don't see why not. It's not like we're miles apart."
Indications are talks with Warren are further along than with Lepsis, though Sundquist maintained he was "confident" the team will keep the latter off the free-agent market March 3. The Houston Texans, with new coach Gary Kubiak, could be a potential suitor for Lepsis.
The lack of a collective-bargaining agreement as it pertains to potential contract structure appears to be holding up Warren's deal more than anything, along with some other fine details.
"There's been a lot of work already done," Sundquist said.
And while the GM said Denver is on schedule or perhaps ahead of the curve in getting its salary cap in order for the start of the new league year, there still is plenty to address.
The re-signing or restructuring of players such as defensive ends Ebenezer Ekuban and John Engelberger, safeties Sam Brandon and John Lynch, and center Tom Nalen has got the Broncos moving toward the projected salary cap of $92 million to $95 million.
But one obvious situation that has yet to be addressed, and will be soon, is the future of defensive end Trevor Pryce. His salary-cap hit for 2006 is currently scheduled to be just less than $10.3 million, and he won't be retained without significantly adjusting that figure. Pryce also is due a $1 million roster bonus March 8.
"I don't know which way we'll go with it," Sundquist said. "But we can't carry him at the current number."
Cutting Pryce would save the team $8.53 million. Or the Broncos could restructure the deal and pack it with incentives. It took a meeting of the minds, and an agreement to take a pay cut after an earlier trade request, to bring the defensive end back to Denver last off-season. He might be less likely to accept a reduction this year in a market expected to be weak at his position.
It's likely a sit-down will occur soon to clarify each side's feelings.
"It all depends on Trevor, not anyone else," Sundquist said.
Denver also must address finances with defensive end Courtney Brown, who was scheduled to earn up to an $8 million option bonus based on playing time and sacks in 2005. All Sundquist would say about Brown is he hopes the player will return. But Brown, who started 13 games in his only season with Denver, made it clear last season he thoroughly enjoyed his Broncos experience.
What's clear is the Broncos will be only minor players in the free-agent market, instead concentrating on retaining players from a team that finished 13-3 and was one win away from reaching Super Bowl XL, and also finding values wherever possible.
"One of the things I can't do is get caught up in the glitz and glamour of an individual player, because that'll kill you quicker than anything," Sundquist said.
That thought process more than likely takes the acquisition of controversial wide receiver Terrell Owens off the table, despite his meeting with Broncos coach Mike Shanahan in Denver earlier this month.
Owens' contract almost certainly wouldn't fit into the team's budgetary plans without having to pare other players off the roster, and that's before even considering how his acquisition would affect team chemistry.
Denver's use of cap space for some of the players it recently has signed is another sign the team has moved on from its initial flirtation with Owens.
"The priority is getting our own guys done," Sundquist said.
Also on that to-do list is running back Ron Dayne, who played sparingly but effectively last season, his first in Denver. Dayne has expressed a desire to return but can't sign until March 3 at the earliest. He'll likely be given an opportunity to compete for the starting tailback job, should that occur.
Linebacker Keith Burns and tight end Mike Leach, both unrestricted free agents and special-teams stalwarts, also should be back. Other veterans soon could restructure, with cornerback Champ Bailey, quarterback Jake Plummer and wide receiver Rod Smith all potential targets. "Without mentioning names, we're trying to spread the burden," Sundquist said.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wish we could have got him a year or two ago. Interesting to see what happens.

Hiero

Reaction score
what does this have to do with the cowboys? there is no way we sign this guy, i mean negative chance.

Hiero

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy said:
I would like to see this guy on the Cowboys.....for sure!
really? why? I mean seriously why? he's the same age as Ellis, but had a bad injury in 04. Not as good as Ellis imo either. and he doesnt fit the 3-4, in addition we have two young studs at DE, why overpay for someone who we have zero need for?

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Pryce could play in a 3-4, I think.

I just don't think he is a good fit right now though. The young guys are established and I doubt Pryce wants to be a depth guy when he could probably go start somewhere.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Hiero said:
really? why? I mean seriously why? he's the same age as Ellis, but had a bad injury in 04. Not as good as Ellis imo either. and he doesnt fit the 3-4, in addition we have two young studs at DE, why overpay for someone who we have zero need for?

On second thought, I agree with you. I just remember watching him play hard over his career. But, I am very excited about our young lineman and we do not have a spot for him......Canty....Ware......Ratliff.....Ellis.....Spears......Fergy......Glover.....we are kinda loaded in that area.

Can Price play OL?

kartr

Reaction score
austintodallas said:
We don't need any more 4-3 defensive ends. Especially overpaid ones.

Right. We need a young pass rushing DT like Brod Bunkley to be Glover's heir apparent.

austintodallas

Consider Yourself Sucked
Reaction score
kartr said:
Right. We need a young pass rushing DT like Brod Bunkley to be Glover's heir apparent.
Bunkley is also a poor fit for the 3-4. Not saying he's a bad player just a little smallish for the system.

Better off going after big run-stuffing tackles i.e. Ngata, Watson.