The Calm Before the Storm

ringmaster

Reaction score
Everybody knows that the first preseason game is this Saturday, so if we lose this game which it won't really matter watch how many fans "throw in the towel" saying how the Cowboys, going to suck this year.

Fans, who are expecting to see an explosion from the Boys, won't see it because they won't show much of anything during the preseason as some fans know.

If the O-line give up three sacks to the Seahawks, then we're doomed if the D-line can't get a good pass rush then we're doomed if the defense give up a big run or two then we're doomed just watch how these type of fans react to these preseason games.

The countdown starts Saturday, win, or lose.

shnagy

Reaction score
When this happens, just remind everyone about the first preseason game against the Cardinals last year.

ringmaster

Reaction score
shnagy said:
When this happens, just remind everyone about the first preseason game against the Cardinals last year.
Good thinking we all know how they reacted to that one when the Cards, beat us only to hand them a good arse whooping in the reg. season.

Good point.

I remember the 1992 Cowboys, went 0-4 in the preseason, if I'm correct if not please correct me.

I bet most fans was saying how bad they were going to suck then but we all know how that season turned out.

Not only fans, but the media as well.

When they're 0-4 in the preseason, the media will say they're going to suck but if the go 4-0, then they will be successful.

I also remember the Colts, went 0-4 in the preseason last season and nearly challenged that 70s Dolphin team undefeated season in the reg.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ringmaster said:
Everybody knows that the first preseason game is this Saturday, so if we lose this game which it won't really matter watch how many fans "throw in the towel" saying how the Cowboys, going to suck this year.

Fans, who are expecting to see an explosion from the Boys, won't see it because they won't show much of anything during the preseason as some fans know.

If the O-line give up three sacks to the Seahawks, then we're doomed if the D-line can't get a good pass rush then we're doomed if the defense give up a big run or two then we're doomed just watch how these type of fans react to these preseason games.

The countdown starts Saturday, win, or lose.

I'm not overly concerned about winning or losing any pre-season game. I do hope to see the 1st unit play well and see some individuals standouts. I understand that your not going to see teams show much and teams to do not make adjustments within a pre-season game. However your right we will have some who will go over board win or lose

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
This has already started, some people arent waiting for the first preseason game

ravidubey

Reaction score
shnagy said:

3rd and 50, anyone?

SA_Gunslinger

Official CZ Ea-girls hater
Reaction score
anybody who puts a lot of weight on anything that happens in pre-season football, just doesn't know football.

vanilla defense.

vanilla offense.

no gameplanning....yadda yadda.
it's about player observations.

joseephuss

Reaction score
phillycowboyslover said:
anybody who puts a lot of weight on anything that happens in pre-season football, just doesn't know football.

vanilla defense.

vanilla offense.

Parcells runs a vanilla offense and vanilla defense in the regular season as well. :)

Kittymama

Benched
Reaction score
I know we lost last year's first preseason game. Haven't we, in most preseasons? Preseason games mean little. Enjoy them as a chance to see the lower round guys & the ones who are likely to get cut.

Now, the 3rd preseason game will be more indicative, since it's really a final tune-up.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
phillycowboyslover said:

vanilla defense.

vanilla offense.

Exactly. Now where that starts to change is with the 3rd pre-season games when teams will use it more as a dress rehearsal for the season opener. We will see teams playing the 1st string for about half the game and you really want to see them do well in that game. Last pre-season is a lot like the 1st where starters see a little action and you get them out of their to avoid injuries leading into week 1

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I'll almost guarantee that we won't score an offensive TD in this game. Hey, we haven't in the first preseason game in the Parcells era.

If there's one thing Parcells has shown me, it's that he goes extremely vanilla in the first 2 games, to the point where he doesn't blitz, doesn't show his blitz protection schemes, etc. He goes very, very basic until the 3rd game where he shows a little more, but not much.

People forget the Cowboys were awful in preseason in the Landry era. Like Landry, Parcells wants his players to work on the fundamentals and focus on executing instead of scheming.

I generally like this matchup though. Gives them a chance to play the defending NFC champs, who utilize a West Coast offense. Unlike last year against the Cardinals, they don't have to worry about the opposing team blitzing almost every down and using 3 WR sets on offense all of the time.

Rich...............

ringmaster

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
Parcells runs a vanilla offense and vanilla defense in the regular season as well. :)
No kidding.

If we all know Parcells, we know that he play to the weakness of the other team.

Does the first Philly game ring a bell don't you think that maybe they knew that TG, would be a problem for Litto Shepard, that game.

What I'm saying is that Parcells, can be aggressive when he wants to be.

It just depends on the other team's weakness be it offense, or defense.

braw

Reaction score
joseephuss said:

BP plays to the strength of his team, trying not to expose the teams weakness. Just like when Ware was beating everyone last TC, BP said that once someone knows his weakness he would be handled by Adams.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
phillycowboyslover said:

vanilla defense.

vanilla offense.

The only things I look out for are blown assignments, poor technique, penalties, and tackling. Even still, that doesn't mean a whole lot...but if you can excel at those in preseason it's a decent sign that the team is well coached and learning well.

Rich.........

1fisher

Reaction score
you can bet the chicken little's will be out in full force

ringmaster

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I'm not overly concerned about winning or losing any pre-season game. I do hope to see the 1st unit play well and see some individuals standouts. I understand that your not going to see teams show much and teams to do not make adjustments within a pre-season game. However your right we will have some who will go over board win or lose
No doubt they will it just in most fans nature to go overboard.

But I must give credit where credit is due you guys are much better than those on the FWST forum some them will want to smack in the face for their over rationalizing of a meaningless preseason game.

ringmaster

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
The only things I look out for are blown assignments, poor technique, penalties, and tackling. Even still, that doesn't mean a whole lot...but if you can excel at those in preseason it's a decent sign that the team is well coached and learning well.

Rich.........
That is very true but most teams are very sloppy in the first preseason game anyway no matter whose coaching them.

shnagy

Reaction score
Honestly, I used to look at every Cowboys game as life or death, no matter preseason or not. Just recently have I learned to have patience with a team. So, I'm going to watch the game vs. Seattle, sit back with an ice cold brewskie, and enjoy it, because it is football. Win, lose, or draw, football season is back.