The cap is probably going to drop. now what?

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
instead of dropping the cap, they'll probably only lower the floor, so teams can get below the current minimum if they need, but stay at the top if they are bound.

Sydla

Reaction score
The cap likely won't change this year and they'll spread out the lost dollars over the life of the new CBA. Meaning, in 2021 and beyond, the cap won't be as high as it would have been prior to the pandemic causing lost revenues.

It's implausible for them to roll back the cap now in 2020. Over 2/3rds the league would have to just start cutting and restructuring guys now.

dogberry

Reaction score
Forbes estimates that stadium revenue for the Cowboys is $621 million out of $950 total revenue.

I could see a large tv ratings jump but advertising revenue dropping due to adverse business conditions.

Well at least the Jones’ pizza earnings has probably increased.

Forbes calculates stadium revenue is 38 percent of total revenue for the average nfl team.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
There are different levels of drama. I'm sorry about you losing your job, and clearly that is a concern overrides anything on here. But there is a tendency of posters on sites like this to assume situations will result in the worst case scenario or at least bad scenarios even though when there are alternatives that are reasonable and believable.
I am like everybody right now.

There are no blank checks for 80% of us.

These issues I have never seen before.

These overnight rewrites of our society and way of life are going to take us where none of us dare go in our right minds.

Football is a great diversion. But that is all it is.

Priorities.

Priorities.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I have concluded the Op in this thread is actually the brother Floaty always talked about who was missing a chromosome. I don't even find his comments entertaining anymore. Much less think they are within a solar system of being accurate.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Forbes estimates that stadium revenue for the Cowboys is $621 million out of $950 total revenue.

I could see a large tv ratings jump but advertising revenue dropping due to adverse business conditions.

Forbes calculates stadium revenue is 38 percent of total revenue for the average nfl team.
I guess this is why such a big swing in revenue with building stadiums and team offices like the Star.

Write offs and amortization of costs vs losses. Yada yada.

erod

Reaction score

And this is a huge issue for the Cowboys. I haven't paid for my season tickets yet, and I won't until there is clarity. I'm not about to go through the hassle of trying to recollect my own money if this ends up being 25% capacity or whatever nonsense is in the works. No matter their threats, it's not right to force us to pay until we know what the plan is. Fortunately, I think they understand because I haven't receive a single email about payment since the usual May 1st deadline.

Right now, I suspect we very well may not have a season. Too much liability.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
instead of dropping the cap, they'll probably only lower the floor, so teams can get below the current minimum if they need, but stay at the top if they are bound.
Sorry..

Run that last part back.?

An economist I ain't.

conner01

Reaction score
Every team is in the same boat so the league will do something to address it for the one year. They can simply decide to freeze the cap in place for one year. They are not going to go through the complete crapfest it would be to reduce the cap by 30-40% for one year. It simply wouldn't work for all 32 teams and the players union wont want that to happen either. It will be addressed. This issue is down there on my list of thing to worry about right below Dwayne Haskins becoming the best QB in the NFC East.
The cap is the cap
It’s based on a percentage of revenue
They can’t reduce it but if revenue goes down it go down
Just like when revenue goes up they don’t increase it
The percentage stays the same
If revenue is up or down that determines the cap

Cowboys22

Reaction score
The cap is the cap
It’s based on a percentage of revenue
They can’t reduce it but if revenue goes down it go down
Just like when revenue goes up they don’t increase it
The percentage stays the same
If revenue is up or down that determines the cap

Everyone knows all of that but the league office and PA can get together and do anything they want. Neither the teams or the PA are going to just sit back and have these unusual circumstances screw up the entire league. Teams don’t want to have to cut their highest paid players and the PA doesn’t want that either or to see salaries decrease substantially. They will get together and negotiate a solution. I don’t know what else to say to someone that thinks they are just going to accept all the lost revenue and the decrease in the cap that would follow creating mass chaos for all 32 teams. It ain’t happening.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I dont really see owners wanting to cut a handful of productive players just so they can save money.

Well, maybe the Bengals...

But something will be worked out...if it even needs to be.

I'm getting a little sick of the overreaction. Never mind me.

conner01

Reaction score
Everyone knows all of that but the league office and PA can get together and do anything they want. Neither the teams or the PA are going to just sit back and have these unusual circumstances screw up the entire league. Teams don’t want to have to cut their highest paid players and the PA doesn’t want that either or to see salaries decrease substantially. They will get together and negotiate a solution. I don’t know what else to say to someone that thinks they are just going to accept all the lost revenue and the decrease in the cap that would follow creating mass chaos for all 32 teams. It ain’t happening.
If revenue goes down the cap goes down
The league can throwing in extra money
Maybe freeze it at last years thru the next couple years
Lots of options but it wouldn’t actually matter till next year since it’s based on the prior years revenue

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
We are the mob and we need our gladiatorial games ******!
Come Hell, or high water.
Joaquin Phoenix was right in Gladiator.

We just need Goodell to give the Thumb's Up, or Down at the end of games.
Maybe remotely via vid...

Seriously, this is a game and I know we crave normalcy, but come on.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
We are the mob and we need our gladiatorial games ******!
Come Hell, or high water.
Joaquin Phoenix was right in Gladiator.

We just need Goodell to give the Thumb's Up, or Down at the end of games.
Maybe remotely via vid...

Seriously, this is a game and I know we crave normalcy, but come on.

Well....Nuff said.

But dont count me in.

Corso

Reaction score
Well....Nuff said.

But dont count me in.
Well respected. I know what I posted won't be liked. It's okay and I respect that.

I just think this is a game. A high stakes, money making game, but a game nonetheless.
What happens will happen and we will all go on.
With smiles, or grimaces, but going on will go on.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Well respected. I know what I posted won't be liked. It's okay and I respect that.

I just think this is a game. A high stakes, money making game, but a game nonetheless.
What happens will happen and we will all go on.
With smiles, or grimaces, but going on will go on.

Your post was on point and i did understand it.

You made me smile the way you worded it. I do share your view. Sorry if i came thru wrong.

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
Sorry..

Run that last part back.?

An economist I ain't.

me either man.

currently, the salary floor is 89% of the cap, so teams have to pay that much (apparently) each year.

So, if a team is in financial difficulty in paying players, then the premise is this: instead of lowering the cap (which could mean player salaries would have to be reduced, which is a sticky mess), a reduction of the floor could be done instead, in order to allow teams to pay only say 70% of the cap instead of 89.

Those teams that already are bound to amounts higher due to existing contracts in place could stay at those contracted amounts so existing contracts with players are not affected, but those teams that haven't yet committed that minimum would no longer have to put out contracts to get to the 89%, only to the 70% figure.

Corso

Reaction score
Your post was on point and i did understand it.

You made me smile the way you worded it. I do share your view. Sorry if i came thru wrong.
No need for any apologies my friend. You're good people in my book.