The case for drafting an OT in round 1

cnuball21

Reaction score
He's already being labeled as a holder. Connor Williams Part Dos.

I’m just stating the facts. Again I think he’ll develop and can be a better player but I think he could go to multiple pro bowls as a G…not as an OT.

It’s a pretty good OT class. Maybe not a blue chipper but a handful of dudes that are 1st round talents that could slip to the bottom of the 1st.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I’m just stating the facts. Again I think he’ll develop and can be a better player but I think he could go to multiple pro bowls as a G…not as an OT.

It’s a pretty good OT class. Maybe not a blue chipper but a handful of dudes that are 1st round talents that could slip to the bottom of the 1st.
Agree about an OT being available when the Cowboys pick and a lot of these guys are very good in pass pro. If it comes down to BPA an OT should be on the radar.

If the Cowboys want Tyler to stay at LT, there's only 1 first round type OG, and I like him but I question his fit in a zone run scheme.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
With the exception of Skoronski and and Paris Johnson there are no guys remotely with the upside of Smith. And both of those guys will be long gone. Jones and Harrison are probably the next 2 guys. Year 2 Tyler Smith is far better than anyone that will be available in the late 1st. This front office is very predictable. They know they don’t have a legitimate starting CB opposite Diggs. And they damn sure won’t spend money for one in FA. The CB class is deep. Gonzalez and Porter would be a dream but I don’t see either dropping. Smith and Witherspoon awould also be nice fits herre.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Agree about an OT being available when the Cowboys pick and a lot of these guys are very good in pass pro. If it comes down to BPA an OT should be on the radar.

If the Cowboys want Tyler to stay at LT, there's only 1 first round type OG, and I like him but I question his fit in a zone run scheme.

Hey and if there’s an OG available in round one that’s a stud and clear cut upgrade over Connor let’s ride. If the team feels good about Tyler at LT I’ll get on board…just think he’d be best at LG.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Where do you get that Tyler Smith was drafted to be a guard. If he was drafted to be a guard he would certainly be playing guard not left tackle
LOL - the ONLY reason he’s playing LT is because Tyron got injured. We didn’t draft him to play LT this season. It just worked out that way.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Hey and if there’s an OG available in round one that’s a stud and clear cut upgrade over Connor let’s ride. If the team feels good about Tyler at LT I’ll get on board…just think he’d be best at LG.
I hear ya, thing is there's only 1 OG with a first round grade. O'Cyrus Torrance he plays RG.

speedkilz88

Reaction score

You really shouldn't try to draft 1st round OGs anyway. Unless you have runs at other positions and are forced to like with Martin. Good OGs are just too easy to find in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Shoot last year their was quality OGs falling to the later rounds.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It may seem like that position is locked up, but consider:

1. Football is taking its toll on Tyron. Tyler Smith was drafted to play guard, so we need to think about the future.
2. Steele will be coming back from a torn ACL and MCL. How he will play coming off of rehab is a big question mark. I know he’s the RKG, but do we want to give him a big extension coming off of a blown out knee?

McGovern and Steele can both be gone next season. This position has to be addressed
Tyler was NOT drafted to play OG.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I’ll add that I just read Tyler was 62nd in pass block win rate this year…I believed he was above average in run blocking and below average in pass pro but that’s pretty alarming even if it is exaggerated.

Surely he’ll improve but I think LG would mask some of his pass pro technique issues due to playing in a box.

Creeper

Reaction score
From what I have seen of Smith at LG, I prefer him at LT.

Steele is not going anywhere in 2023. He is a restricted free agent and the Cowboys will definitely tender him at 2nd or even 1st round level. They should consider offering him an extension depending on how his rehab is going. From what we have heard of Steele is he is a hard worker so I think he will do what he has to to come back as strong or stronger than what he was.

McGovern will mostly like sign elsewhere. But I think they can replace him with someone else. I like him, but he is not a critical piece of the puzzle. Maybe they can find a free agent OG to replace him.

The Cowboys have a big decision to make with Tyron next year. 2023 is the last year of his contract (2024 is voided). If they plan on leaving Tyler Smith at LT then they won't need Tyron in 2023. But how to you cut a guy wo has been a stud for you for so many years. Maybe he decides to retire on his own.

I don't think OL is urgent. Expect Waletzko and Ball to come back better (remember, McGovern was pretty awful his first two years too) next year. They have some guys on the practice squad they can promote to fill backup roles.

Not that I wouldn't draft OL, but if I had a choice between DT, CB, and OL, I would go for the DT.

garyv

Reaction score

1. Football is taking its toll on Tyron. Tyler Smith was drafted to play guard, so we need to think about the future.
2. Steele will be coming back from a torn ACL and MCL. How he will play coming off of rehab is a big question mark. I know he’s the RKG, but do we want to give him a big extension coming off of a blown out knee?

McGovern and Steele can both be gone next season. This position has to be addressed
OL in the first round and nothing else

Cowboyny

Reaction score

Tyler wasn't drafted to play Guard, he was going to play Guard until Tyron retired. Tyler is our future LT.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Smith has performed admirably as we’ve needed him too but I wouldn’t ignore drafting an OT if it’s BPA.

Smith leads the NFL in penalties, has given up 6 sacks and has had a few games giving up 7 pressures. I’m sure he’ll continue to develop and maybe he can turn into an above average LT but I still think his ceiling is higher at LG.
Tyler was excellent all season long at LT, yes, has to clean up his penalties, but has come a long way. Think they see him as the future at the position.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Tyler was excellent all season long at LT, yes, has to clean up his penalties, but has come a long way. Think they see him as the future at the position.
I think excellent is an extreeeeme exaggeration.

He played admirably filling in when Tyron got hurt but he was below average this year. Close to leading the NFL in penalties, lots of sacks / pressures given up and last time I looked he was 32nd amongst OTs in pass pro win rate.

OT should be on the draft radar.

sbark

Reaction score
Agreed! Go get a OT or OG. McGovern is gone and Peters too. Farniok will be back, but Waletzko n Ball at OT is concerning.
Ball is a known now....not nfl caliber

Waletzko....can we develop him, beef him up is the question. Other teams seem to be able to....

rags747

Reaction score

Smith was drafted to be an OT and play guard short term.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
I think excellent is an extreeeeme exaggeration.

He played admirably filling in when Tyron got hurt but he was below average this year. Close to leading the NFL in penalties, lots of sacks / pressures given up and last time I looked he was 32nd amongst OTs in pass pro win rate.

OT should be on the draft radar.
The chances of getting a rookie tackle at 26 as good or better than Smith are slim to none. Especially if you think the guy will be a day 1 starter.

cnuball21

Reaction score
The chances of getting a rookie tackle at 26 as good or better than Smith are slim to none. Especially if you think the guy will be a day 1 starter.

Not easy, but the Bears and Hawks hit on Tackles after the 1st round.

I'll add this class is loaded at OT. Not a bunch of blue chippers but a handful of fringe 1st rounders / 2nd rounders which is what most analysts had Smith as last year,