News: The Case For The Cowboys Drafting Ezekiel Elliott At Four

CCBoy

Reaction score
The Case For The Cowboys Drafting Ezekiel Elliott At Four

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2016...afting-ezekiel-elliott-at-four-2016-nfl-draft

...I hear a lot of fans and media saying that basically any back can run behind this o-line and it is waste of resources to invest in an elite back when you can get 1,100 yards from the likes of DMC. Last year, both here and in Philly, went a long ways to settling the question of whether 2014 success was due more to the RB or the o-line. So I can understand this argument.

But the other way of looking at it is that since we have invested so much in an elite o-line, the best way to make the most of that investment is to have an elite RB behind them. The combination of an elite o-line and RB together maximizes the value of both. This offense is complete in every other position (except backup QB!). It makes sense to me to draft o-line in the first round 3 out of 4 years, and then draft a complete and dynamic back to take advantage of it.

The value of quarterback is so high because, as they say, "he touches the ball on every play." But the way we used Murray, he touched the ball just about every other play. RB is devalued because there is a much greater supply of decent backs compared to QBs, but in terms of one player other than the QB who can have the most impact on any given game, especially with the offensive identity that this team has, as Sig talked about, it is the RB.

And the committee approach to RB can work, but this team has shown that they like a complete, every down back who is the primary weapon of the offense.

What is so special about Zeke is not just how he runs, which is exceptional, but also how complete he is, blocking and catching.

Cowboys place a high value on blitz pickup for RB, and we can't overstate how important that is: he protects our most valuable asset in Romo. Most college backs are very much a work in progress at best, while Zeke is already a skilled and enthusiastic blocker. The better our RB can pick up the blitz, the less chance we're worrying about our backup QB.

Then think about how effectively they used Murray catching out of the backfield. Romo loves to be able to check down to the RB when his reads are not open. RB in space with decent gain, an extension of the run, with big play potential. This is a big part of our attack, and Zeke is exceptional in this role.

I can understand questions about RB positional value, etc. But to me the argument that because we have an elite o-line we don't need an elite RB is backwards. Because we have an elite o-line, it makes an elite, complete RB even more valuable, and worth more than it would to other teams. I think this may outweigh the deficit in positional value.

I would love a trade back with SF to 7 and then get Zeke, and another pick! But if we picked him at 4, I would be delighted, too.

I also would be happy with Ramsey or Jack and fine with Bosa or Buckner or Wentz. Or even Tunsil, OMG this o-line! It seems there ~7 players that are in play at the top, we're going to end up with one of them, and any will help our team. But the fact that Zeke is up there in the top 5 on big boards means he for sure has to be in play. And I think that the investment we have put into this o-line, and this philosophy of this offense, and the otherwise complete staffing of it, and the window of Romo/Witten, all makes Zeke make sense for the pick...

CCBoy

Reaction score
Put in perspective, does anyone think that McFadden will lead the Cowboys to a Super Bowl...this season or next?

btcutter

Reaction score
Question for me is that if Dallas willing to pay a RB $5-6 million per year? If they are willing then why didn't they try to sign Miller who is PROVEN. Yes, I know Elliott is the next coming....whoever but until he proves it in the NFL it's only potential. Why not pay for a known product AND still have the 4th pick at our disposal.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Question for me is that if Dallas willing to pay a RB $5-6 million per year? If they are willing then why didn't they try to sign Miller who is PROVEN. Yes, I know Elliott is the next coming....whoever but until he proves it in the NFL it's only potential. Why not pay for a known product AND still have the 4th pick at our disposal.

Bigger question. Does Elliott see a end contract with Dallas at 9 million per season at least?