The case for trading down

nathanlt

Reaction score
I was very impressed with the way Dallas' scouting department made every pick count, from the 2 first rounders, all the way down to the seventh round.

If the scouting department has even a shade of the success they had in last years' draft, they should truly consider trading down, and multiplying the number of picks they can get. If Dallas were to trade away thier first rounder and acquire a second and fourth round pick, they could add quality in the range of Kevin Burnett/Julius Jones and Jason Witten/Chris Canty type of quality guys. That would be truly amazing, I think our FS/OLB/WR/OT troubles could all be adressed, or just some quality backups for the future would be added. Character guys, underrated guys, they can truly add to our team.

I usually like trading down, and with last years performance, I think it's even more promising.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
nathanlt said:
I was very impressed with the way Dallas' scouting department made every pick count, from the 2 first rounders, all the way down to the seventh round.

If the scouting department has even a shade of the success they had in last years' draft, they should truly consider trading down, and multiplying the number of picks they can get. If Dallas were to trade away thier first rounder and acquire a second and fourth round pick, they could add quality in the range of Kevin Burnett/Julius Jones and Jason Witten/Chris Canty type of quality guys. That would be truly amazing, I think our FS/OLB/WR/OT troubles could all be adressed, or just some quality backups for the future would be added. Character guys, underrated guys, they can truly add to our team.

I usually like trading down, and with last years performance, I think it's even more promising.
Yeah, this is the year for the trade for Dallas. From players like Ellis/Glover, to where we are seated on the draft board.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
I agree with you on trading down and the value that could be acquired in return, especially if we pick as well as we did last year...
but in order to trade down, someone has be willing to trade up.
Is the talent at 18 good enough to entice someone to trade up with us?

ghst187

Reaction score
I'm totally on board for trading down. I'd still like to end up with a Lawson or Carpenter but if we could add another 1st or 2nd next year, it'd give us a lot of ammo to go after Brady Quinn, the next great Cowboy QB.
anyway, even if we didn't do that, we could add a ton of good players and I think our neediest positions is where the market/draft is the strongest....LB, S, OL...so let's not fight the market. We could really build an amazing LB corps, which is something I think BP understands we need to run the 3-4, with this draft and a few extra day one and early day 2 picks.