The Chris Peterson Theory

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m not necessarily a big fan of former University of Washington and Boise State a HC Chris Petersen but I can’t help but wonder if he’s possibly the next HC of the Cowboys. He interestingly has strong connections to Kellen Moore.

Peterson surprised many a few weeks ago when he announced on Nov. 29th he was leaving his post as HC of Univ of Washington at the end of this season. He led the Huskies to 2 PAC 12 titles and in 2016 to a berth in the College Football Playoff. He previously had coached at Boise State where he won 5 conference titles and led Boise to a big upset of Oklahoma in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl with Kellen Moore starring as QB.

Below is an article published in March, 2019 on the Dallas Cowboys “flagship” radio station 105.3 The Fan’s website in which Chris Petersen praises Kellen Moore before this season started:
https://1053thefan.radio.com/blogs/...ris-petersen-praises-dallas-cowboys-offensive

If you believe Jerry still has a desire to keep Kellen Moore as his OC, Petersen would make some weird sense. Consider these possibilities:
  • I’m not at all sold yet that Moore is anything special but we all know Jerry has his fixations with hiring coordinators before his HCs. (Jason Garrett hired before Wade Phillips)
  • Petersen stepped down at season’s end at WU and as of this week after coaching the huskies to a Las Vegas bowl win against his former Boise State team, and is no longer contractually obligated.
  • Petersen is an offensive minded coach who would align more closely to Kellen Moore’s style and since they had an effective relationship at Boise.
  • Makes me wonder if Kellen Moore is the guy Jerry really wants as his next Jason Garrett but needs more time and Peterson becomes the stop gap.
  • Peterson is 55 which makes me wonder if Jerry would see him as a temporary guy until Moore is ready.
This is nothing more than a theory. Several satellite Cowboys web sites have picked up on this. I’m sure as hell not hoping this is “the plan”. But it unfortunately sounds like the way Jerry thinks.

Here are a couple of other links about the possible Petersen to Dallas idea:
https://insidethestar.com/washingto...tep-down-potential-jason-garrett-replacement/
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...oached-cowboys-oc-kellen-moore-at-boise-state

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
As much as I'd like the move...I just don't see it. For one....sounds like Coach Pete is tired of coaching. Dealing w/ the pressure of having to win every week. He doesn't like notoriety.....and being the head coach here...would be just the opposite of it.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
He would rather take a spear to the heart than come to this glorified clown show that fakes being a NFL football team.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As much as I'd like the move...I just don't see it. For one....sounds like Coach Pete is tired of coaching. Dealing w/ the pressure of having to win every week. He doesn't like notoriety.....and being the head coach here...would be just the opposite of it.
I’m not a fan of it. Just pointing out that this sounds exactly like the kind of scenario Jerry would go for.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I've thought that he was a prospect.

mathew1184

Reaction score
I highly doubt it. I'm in Boise and I've met Chris Peterson as well as followed his career up to beating BSU at the LV bowl.

From what I understand, a big reason Chris Peterson left Boise was he was too much of a celebrity here..He was Loved in Boise and could do no wrong, but he did so many things in the community, plus coaching..he wanted out of the spotlight.

Washington has The Seahawks and Mariners and I think he thought that would help him be more able to at least walk around without everyone asking for something.

In the end it didn't make much of a difference, after the Bowl game against BSU he said he couldn't wait to wake up not be a coach, no more pressure, more time with family, rest, etc.

He's said awhile ago that winning is just a relief and not enjoyable anymore, He also said he didn't enjoy coaching the Rose Bowl..

He's burnt out.

ArtClink

Reaction score
I’m not necessarily a big fan of former University of Washington and Boise State a HC Chris Petersen but I can’t help but wonder if he’s possibly the next HC of the Cowboys. He interestingly has strong connections to Kellen Moore.

Peterson surprised many a few weeks ago when he announced on Nov. 29th he was leaving his post as HC of Univ of Washington at the end of this season. He led the Huskies to 2 PAC 12 titles and in 2016 to a berth in the College Football Playoff. He previously had coached at Boise State where he won 5 conference titles and led Boise to a big upset of Oklahoma in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl with Kellen Moore starring as QB.

Below is an article published in March, 2019 on the Dallas Cowboys “flagship” radio station 105.3 The Fan’s website in which Chris Petersen praises Kellen Moore before this season started:
https://1053thefan.radio.com/blogs/...ris-petersen-praises-dallas-cowboys-offensive

If you believe Jerry still has a desire to keep Kellen Moore as his OC, Petersen would make some weird sense. Consider these possibilities:
  • I’m not at all sold yet that Moore is anything special but we all know Jerry has his fixations with hiring coordinators before his HCs. (Jason Garrett hired before Wade Phillips)
  • Petersen stepped down at season’s end at WU and as of this week after coaching the huskies to a Las Vegas bowl win against his former Boise State team, and is no longer contractually obligated.
  • Petersen is an offensive minded coach who would align more closely to Kellen Moore’s style and since they had an effective relationship at Boise.
  • Makes me wonder if Kellen Moore is the guy Jerry really wants as his next Jason Garrett but needs more time and Peterson becomes the stop gap.
  • Peterson is 55 which makes me wonder if Jerry would see him as a temporary guy until Moore is ready.
This is nothing more than a theory. Several satellite Cowboys web sites have picked up on this. I’m sure as hell not hoping this is “the plan”. But it unfortunately sounds like the way Jerry thinks.

https://insidethestar.com/washingto...tep-down-potential-jason-garrett-replacement/
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...oached-cowboys-oc-kellen-moore-at-boise-state

Oh my god, a Kellen "The Hammer" Moore connection. Jerry will move heaven and earth to ensure his new boy KMoore remains in a key coaching position. What a stellar year Moore had.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s much more likely a No Name like this could be a prospect. Definitely someone who won’t be taken back with Jerry’s meddling with asst coaches, etc.

Toomany10pins

Reaction score
I highly doubt it. I'm in Boise and I've met Chris Peterson as well as followed his career up to beating BSU at the LV bowl.

From what I understand, a big reason Chris Peterson left Boise was he was too much of a celebrity here..He was Loved in Boise and could do no wrong, but he did so many things in the community, plus coaching..he wanted out of the spotlight.

Washington has The Seahawks and Mariners and I think he thought that would help him be more able to at least walk around without everyone asking for something.

In the end it didn't make much of a difference, after the Bowl game against BSU he said he couldn't wait to wake up not be a coach, no more pressure, more time with family, rest, etc.

He's said awhile ago that winning is just a relief and not enjoyable anymore, He also said he didn't enjoy coaching the Rose Bowl..

He's burnt out.
Your last sentence is exactly it. Been a huge UW fan since birth, my grandparents old house was in the shadow of Husky Stadium.

CP is just burned out from coaching.

Heard from people that are close to the program, saying he loved his players, coaches, co-workers, administrators and the school, his desire to coach just isn’t there anymore. Like the poster whom I quoted here said, he doesn’t like the spotlight.

Coaching the Dallas Cowboys is having one of the biggest spotlights on you in all of professional sports.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score

He's burnt out.

That's a good write up about him and he definitely does not want to come here then, because if he doesn't drink he would be an alcoholic for sure here.

Aven8

Reaction score
I’ve thought this too as well. We could do a lot worse. Wouldn’t hate it, nor love it. But it’s a huge upgrade over JG.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score

Petersen said he needs time away to recharge and seems to be a moral guy. I can’t see him resigning just to take another job. He doesn’t seems like he’d want to burn bridges.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think so. They're tying his abrupt retirement to a vacancy that wasn't even there and we don't know if it's there now. The most commitment we'll get out of Booger is "things to think about".

I do think Booger would like to keep Moore because of the ranking of the offense is bragging rights for him. I am sure right after he asks the interviewees "how do ya like my QB", "how do ya like my OC" will follow.

I think Peterson is just tired. He isn't going to get a boost of energy coming to Dallas. However, he does have the kind of personality, not a spotlight seeker, that the Joneses would love to have around.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score

Very well thought out theory and could be right. Jones must be careful what he says about anyone now because of the Rooney Rule. He needs to be careful about appearing to have made up his mind.