The cost of winning: What the Cowboys stand to lose by finishing the season on a winning streak

75boyz

Reaction score
I want the best draft pick possible.
I know you can get good players anywhere in the first round but the odds go up at the top of each round.
The Eagles aren't beating the Commanders. Did you see the Eagles inactive list?

I wish the Eagles-Commanders played before our game.

Ill take the loss over a meaningless win.
You will be happier about it next draft when the Cowboys are on the clock.
Trust me. I know what I'm talking about.

I absolutely agree with all of this.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I want the best draft pick possible.
I know you can get good players anywhere in the first round but the odds go up at the top of each round.
The Eagles aren't beating the Commanders. Did you see the Eagles inactive list?

I wish the Eagles-Commanders played before our game.

Ill take the loss over a meaningless win.
You will be happier about it next draft when the Cowboys are on the clock.
Trust me. I know what I'm talking about.

NO...you want to WIN.

I get it...you think a phantom fairy dust draft spot will mean SUPER BOWL!

But it doesn't. You instill WINNING!

Of COURSE along with good draft picks no matter WHERE you pick.

Hardline

Reaction score
NO...you want to WIN.

Nothing you just said negates what I posted.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can see both sides. But if we weren't going to go tank-tastic starting with the Cincy game and end up with the No. 3 pick with everything else being equal then what does it matter now, really? The 3 pick was the best position for trading down to get more picks, possibly to a QB-desperate team who wanted one of the best of the rest QBs or one of the top 2 inexplicably falling. That's a real good opportunity to fill the multiple holes we have with good talent, and maybe picks next year too. At the same time, starting as bad as we did, trying hard does reveal team character and who is or is not giving their all when faced with adversity, which you are going to get with a team whether you're a high flyer or marginal a marginal team. Just hope the new coaches were paying attention to stuff like that or that too was for naught.

I also see both sides...but I default to teaching players how to WIN GAMES.

Teaching them how win draft picks is ...well...not what I agree with.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nothing you just said negates what I posted.

Okay...that's cool.

I did mostly reply to your first sentence. If we agree on teaching NOW to WIN games..... that is awesome!

EDIT: No wait...you said "take the loss over meaningless wins"...we do NOT agree and I =negate your opinion.

There are NO "meaningless wins". That is the prime directive in LIFE. And football.

zekecowboy

Reaction score
Okay...that's cool.

I did mostly reply to your first sentence. If we agree on teaching NOW to WIN games..... that is awesome!

EDIT: No wait...you said "take the loss over meaningless wins"...we do NOT agree and I =negate your opinion.

There are NO "meaningless wins". That is the prime directive in LIFE. And football.

You need to talk to the Eagles then, because there inactives suggest that the Eagles do not care if they win the game with WFT.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
It’s no guarantee we beat the Giants. It’s supposed to be raining and miserable Sunday and unlike the Eagles the Giants will play to win. If Big Blue loses coaches, general manager, and players will be fired. It’s gonna be a tough game for our boys.

I think the Cowboys win Sunday.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
While it feels good to enter the regular-season finale with a chance for bonus football, there is another side of that coin that weighs heavily on the mind of many Cowboys fans - botching up their draft position. For a while now, there has been a line drawn in the sand between “Team Tank” and “Team Just Win Baby.”

As you can see, the Cowboys currently hold the no. 11 overall spot in the upcoming 2021 NFL Draft. Of course, that’s likely to change after Sunday. There are three likely outcomes that will move the Cowboys draft pick around, and they are as follows:

• 7th-10th = if they lose against the Giants
  • 11th-15th = if they beat the Giants, but Washington wins and takes down the NFC East
  • 19th = if they win the NFC East
Now, this is helpful in preparing our minds for what’s coming. While most fans are pulling for a division crown and playoff football, a loss guarantees a the Cowboys a top 10 draft pick. There are silver linings in both of those scenarios.

As far as the playoffs go, this team is playing its best football at the right time. Nobody is expecting it to amount to anything special, but if Andy Dalton continues to play well and the defense keeps taking the ball away, this team can end the year with something to build off. They’re not likely going to go on some miraculous run and strike down all of games top quarterbacks as that’s nothing more than a pipe dream.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...e-by-finishing-the-season-on-a-winning-streak

You play to win anyway. I described this in a recent thread. You can use the streak at the end of the season as a way to propel your team the following year. McCarthy did this. He had a rough year his first year in Green Bay, and finished on a 4 game winning streak to finish 8-8 and finishing in 2nd place. The next year, they tied with us for the best record in the NFC and had the 2nd seed cuz we beat them giving us the tiebreaker. They went on to lose to the Giants in the NFCC in Favre's last game as a Packer. I don't know if we'll necessarily end up in that same spot next year. But it goes to show what finishing strong can mean for a franchise.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
NO...you want to WIN.

Exactly! And if you instil win at all costs, it can benefit the team in the future. It tells the team that no matter the circumstances, you must play to win. The team is seeing the confidence that winning can give. Even if we don't make the playoffs, the confidence will carry over into next season. That confidence, along with a good draft, makes all the difference in the world. Winning like we are lately despite the awful year that was 2020 with everything that happened shows true character from the team. That character can be used. The team can teach the rookies we bring in what we need to do to win no matter what.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
You need to talk to the Eagles then, because there inactives suggest that the Eagles do not care if they win the game with WFT.

I don't care what the Eagles do. I obviously want them to win so we cAn get into the playoffs. But if they want to instil a culture of giving up, great! Makes it easier to beat them when we start hammering them. We will have the stronger character.

khiladi

Reaction score
If we make the play-offs and go on a run, consider Dak gone anyways. Dalton has essentially proved you don’t need to pay even 30 million for a QB with this roster. Just draft one to develop, with him as veteran and build the roster.

Motorola

Reaction score
While it feels good to enter the regular-season finale with a chance for bonus football, there is another side of that coin that weighs heavily on the mind of many Cowboys fans - botching up their draft position. For a while now, there has been a line drawn in the sand between “Team Tank” and “Team Just Win Baby.”

As you can see, the Cowboys currently hold the no. 11 overall spot in the upcoming 2021 NFL Draft. Of course, that’s likely to change after Sunday. There are three likely outcomes that will move the Cowboys draft pick around, and they are as follows:

• 11th-15th = if they beat the Giants, but Washington wins and takes down the NFC East
Now, this is helpful in preparing our minds for what’s coming. While most fans are pulling for a division crown and playoff football, a loss guarantees a the Cowboys a top 10 draft pick. There are silver linings in both of those scenarios.

As far as the playoffs go, this team is playing its best football at the right time. Nobody is expecting it to amount to anything special, but if Andy Dalton continues to play well and the defense keeps taking the ball away, this team can end the year with something to build off. They’re not likely going to go on some miraculous run and strike down all of games top quarterbacks as that’s nothing more than a pipe dream.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...e-by-finishing-the-season-on-a-winning-streak

Way too many fans looked at the Cowboys' horrible first half start at 2-7 and immediately thought a top 3 pick was a lock---not realizing nearly half the league was playing just as bad.
Where ever the Cowboys wind up in the draft position - - Will McClay & Co. should have already done enough preliminary research to have a general idea what 3-4 players could be there re BPA= fill a need for Dallas.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Very nice post !
I will look at the positive either way it goes.
I hope we either win the division or lose.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Should not even be a topic of conversation at this point. They have a chance to make the playoffs and host their first game with a win. Do I need to repeat that? Anyone thinking that losing is better is just a loser. Now if they were eliminated from the playoffs, I’d let it slide but while you still have a chance, you play to win. As a fan, you root for a win. Period!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

I wouldnt say most fans are rooting for a win.

Personally, I am rooting for a loss. Its really the ONLY way to salvage the season. And if they win, fine, great job and will pull for them to win a playoff game.

Build off? This team was better last year, they dont need to learn to build anything. Half of the guys starting will either be gone or back to the bench next season. They would have gotten the experience either way whether we won or lost games.

Its not like a young QB is learning how to play in the league. We have old man Dalton in there.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Playoffs or not I’m rooting for a W. I’d rather see guys like diggs, gallimore, lamb, etc continue to develop and make plays. Winning teams win because they develop the talent on their roster, not because they worry about positioning themselves for a higher pick. That’s why you see so many of the same teams at the top of the draft year after year.

GroundZero1970

Reaction score
I say do whatever needs to be done to go get Fields. Keep Dalton and let Dak and his 40 million go. Use that 40 million to try and shore up the Defense. I like Dak but I dont think he is worth 40 mil.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I wouldnt say most fans are rooting for a win.

Personally, I am rooting for a loss. Its really the ONLY way to salvage the season. And if they win, fine, great job and will pull for them to win a playoff game.

Build off? This team was better last year, they dont need to learn to build anything. Half of the guys starting will either be gone or back to the bench next season. They would have gotten the experience either way whether we won or lost games.

Its not like a young QB is learning how to play in the league. We have old man Dalton in there.
Dont know CR.

This draft is quite weak. The player we get at 10 may be about what we get at 19.

There doesnt seem to be many defensive studs at all, and players with similar grades will likely be chosen ranging from 8-20.

Agreed that usually 10 spots is a big deal, but not this year.

kskboys

Reaction score
Unless taking a QB, does picking in the top ten make all that much of a difference? Heck, even if taking a QB does it really matter? There is plenty of talent in college to go around.
Chase Young says absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sad part is, I respect both sides of the coin. I cannot comprehend why so many get their panties twisted just because someone else believes differently.