The Cowboys are smart with Free Agency

Common Sense

Reaction score
Rod took over and we had the worst defense in the league. Every year people have cried about dt and safety, and every year they get better by huge strides. How are dt and safety a position of need by the reality of this defense.

I just don't get it. I am not against quality there, but why waste money in free agency.

Wait, what? Do you actually think this is a good DL now? Do you actually think Earl Thomas wouldn’t have been a massive upgrade over Heath and Woods?

Cannibal_Cowboy

Reaction score
Yes and no. Smart they don't overpay some FAs, but not so smart when a big upgrade could be signed, overpay or not. I would've much rather overpay for SS or a really good DT because those are positions of need. I wouldn't overpay for a FS, TE or RB because the upgrade wouldn't be significant enough.
So if they're not overpaying for outside free agents and they say they're using that money to sign their own.....then why in the hell aren't Tank, Dak, Zeke, Cooper,etc. signed yet?????
JJ and his bunch are morons.
The longer he tries to lowball Tank, the longer Tank waits to get his shoulder repaired. That means he's not going to be 100% for the season and all because JJ thinks he's cute. The idiot is going to have to pay Tank regardless, so why doesn't he pay now instead of in 3 months?

This isn't the first time Jerruh thought he was a great and frugal business man. Don't forget he once lowballed Emmitt too.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I think the Dallas FO is very smart about FA, but not at all clever/creative.

Like in general, being frugal and using incentive deals and not getting into bidding wars, that's pretty smart and safe.

The problem in my mind is that they never get creative because they are so risk averse and dedicated to playing it smart/safe. Some team like Philly or LA or NE would have already resolved the DLaw situation one way or another.

Seems like a paralysis by analysis to me, being too smart for their own good.
Im all about being frugal,, means eating less dead cap, but there is a point when a franchise feels that they are kind of close, and you pull the trigger on a key FA that can dramatically improve your chances.
A Duke Johnson for example.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Wait, what? Do you actually think this is a good DL now? Do you actually think Earl Thomas wouldn’t have been a massive upgrade over Heath and Woods?

I think earl Thomas is too old and beat up to pay. Because I don't think he gaurentees us a super bowl.

lukin2006

Reaction score
They have a bunch of their own rising stars to sign. What if it comes down to bringing in a high priced Free agent, and you can't sign jaylon.

There is plenty of money. They do not need to sign Dak. They are 28-30 million for an average QB...like I've said before, we rate our player way 2 high...

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Maybe, but he was a game changer last year when healthy. There just aren’t many safeties in the league who can do what he does.

What he used to do. There is no gaurentee that he will perform like he was. He is coming off an injury, time off, and a new team. It might take him 2 years to get back to where he was.

I would put my money on him doing really good next year, but i still don't want him.

It is safety. Teams win the super bowl without them all the time. What are you guys smoking. Draft a young cheap one that can cover. Let him beat out heath, and put your money in better positions.

Seattle has had one of the most dominant defenses for awhile. It is funny how they didn't want to resign him. He is rare, but he is a safety

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I believe we should be more aggressive than we are in FA, but that primarily goes to being more aggressive after the first three days once the feeding frenzy subsides.

That said, I’d have made an exception this seasongiven that we need to improve and given that we have no first round pick. Not an Earl Thomas splurge, because he got too much money. But something like the Adrian Amos deal. Preston Smith is another player I’d have considered for what he got.
Yes& I wholeheartedly agree idgit (seriously, as my funny ha-ha play posts are over for awhile) with the obvious weakening of the D.L. thru suspension & the not as yet set for sure return of the #90 ,,,er,,,along with the same as well could be said for the #72 ,which most have seemingly filed away as an granted gimme' already, but, I've not heard,read nor seen anything to verify that,,,yeppers, if ever, this was the year to conduct early offensive operations out in the jungles of free agency,being of an aggressively determined nature.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Yes& I wholeheartedly agree idgit (seriously, as my funny ha-ha play posts are over for awhile) with the obvious weakening of the D.L. thru suspension & the not as yet set for sure return of the #90 ,,,er,,,along with the same as well could be said for the #72 ,which most have seemingly filed away as an granted gimme' already, but, I've not heard,read nor seen anything to verify that,,,yeppers, if ever, this was the year to conduct early offensive operations out in the jungles of free agency,being of an aggressively determined nature.

If Collins is healthy, Covington adds something, and taco steps up, they could be better than last year.

Melonfeud

Reaction score
If Collins is healthy, Covington adds something, and taco steps up, they could be better than last year.
Right-0n, my Friend & I COPY!,,,er,,,yet, their were a couple of pivotal key casing-liners you freely provided me that struck me like a 3 day dead 5 lb. River carp " IF& COULD",,, ya know?o_O

:starspin::thumbup::starspin:

:muttley:

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Right-0n, my Friend & I COPY!,,,er,,,yet, their were a couple of pivotal key casing-liners you freely provided me that struck me like a 3 day dead 5 lb. River carp " IF& COULD",,, ya know?o_O

:starspin::thumbup::starspin:

:muttley:

I left out tapper stepping up too. I am pretty sure there are plenty of ifs going on for big splashes in fa. If we bring in this player

Melonfeud

Reaction score
I left out tapper stepping up too. I am pretty sure there are plenty of ifs going on for big splashes in fa. If we bring in this player
Is Charles Tapper still on the roster?,,,as pardon my ignorance, but I was thinking he was gone last year.

Melonfeud

Reaction score
You are right, I meant armstrong
,,,er,,,Copy!
I recall our forum fellows being halfway unhappy with that pick as pertaining to his physical size/ position to be played, I believe.

cern

Reaction score
everyone has their own perspective on events. we just signed tank to a 20 million dollar deal by tagging him. this year or next, we need to sign dak, cooper, jones, zeke. etc. not sure when Freddy's deal comes up. which of those are we willing to lose in order to sign a big name free agent? seems we use free agency to fill holes, sometimes successfully (last year), sometimes not so much. for the rest we've been relying on the draft.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
everyone has their own perspective on events. we just signed tank to a 20 million dollar deal by tagging him. this year or next, we need to sign dak, cooper, jones, zeke. etc. not sure when Freddy's deal comes up. which of those are we willing to lose in order to sign a big name free agent? seems we use free agency to fill holes, sometimes successfully (last year), sometimes not so much. for the rest we've been relying on the draft.

Do not forget jaylon. He might end up being the best MLB in football or paid like it. No fifth year option on him

Melonfeud

Reaction score
The definition of "trolling" and it's still on the front page???
Front-n-Center directly delivered from the very floors of the Minn-Kota D.C. current electric powered water borne propulsion units manufacturer itself,bye-golly& stiffenin' nips Too!
o_O

Melonfeud

Reaction score
This isn't the first time Jerruh thought he was a great and frugal business man. Don't forget he once lowballed Emmitt too.

Ya know what's ironically humorous about that particular event, between our FOOTBALL DaD & the #22? And ,this is straight from Emmett's very own mouth(as it's in that Separated shoulder game against the Giants,YouTube video, where He'd manned out in BEAST MODE fashion),he sez' his phone didn't ring a single solitary time during that "negotiating" time frame with him holding out,& he kinda' comes across in that interview as if he'd of jumped to a greener lilly pad were it offered to him shaded green enough,,, you could tell it was a certain EGO deflator to him& his sense of in demand
self-importance.

Last edited: