The Cowboys bias shows yet again!

J-DOG

Reaction score
I listen to a good deal of sports radio and today I heard some things that just confirm my belief in a Cowboys bias.
Now first off, I am the first to admit that Troy Aikman's numbers do not matchup to Elway's and Marino's numbers. But his talent was undeniable just the same. I know in Baseball that numbers or stats mean everything, even though they have been skewed forever because of steriods. But in the NFL I thought that "To the winner goes the spoils".
I seem to remember the 70 Steelers being touted as legends of the game when they went into the Hall.
But with the Cowboys of the 90's we are seeing another theme from the media.
Troy's numbers are being brought up to make a debate over whether or not he was great at all. It suddenly doesn't matter that he won 3 Super bowls or that he was MVP of one of those. All of the sudden that is not good enough anymore with Troy being inducted. Irvin not being in there was bad enough but now they are attacking our leader and our qb.
Does that bother anyone else?
It bothers the HELL out of ME!
I'm sick of it.
I'm sick of the media and how they pick apart everything.
Isn't Steve Young in the Hall???
Was Steve Young picked apart like this?
Cowboys fan ask yourself this...Why are Cowboys taking so long to get into the Hall and when a true leader and great qb like Aikman does get in,he get's picked apart?
No Cowboys bias?
Wake up everybody!

DBoys

Reaction score
J-DOG said:
I listen to a good deal of sports radio and today I heard some things that just confirm my belief in a Cowboys bias.
Now first off, I am the first to admit that Troy Aikman's numbers do not matchup to Elway's and Marino's numbers. But his talent was undeniable just the same. I know in Baseball that numbers or stats mean everything, even though they have been skewed forever because of steriods. But in the NFL I thought that "To the winner goes the spoils".
I seem to remember the 70 Steelers being touted as legends of the game when they went into the Hall.
But with the Cowboys of the 90's we are seeing another theme from the media.
Troy's numbers are being brought up to make a debate over whether or not he was great at all. It suddenly doesn't matter that he won 3 Super bowls or that he was MVP of one of those. All of the sudden that is not good enough anymore with Troy being inducted. Irvin not being in there was bad enough but now they are attacking our leader and our qb.
Does that bother anyone else?
It bothers the HELL out of ME!
I'm sick of it.
I'm sick of the media and how they pick apart everything.
Isn't Steve Young in the Hall???
Was Steve Young picked apart like this?
Cowboys fan ask yourself this...Why are Cowboys taking so long to get into the Hall and when a true leader and great qb like Aikman does get in,he get's picked apart?
No Cowboys bias?
Wake up everybody!

I agree man...

Then when you have a player such as Emmitt get in because his numbers are undeniable they will come up with another excuse. In the end they lose because they are in the HOF and there is not **** they can do about it MUHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

GTaylor

Gif Dude
Reaction score
DBoys said:
I agree man...

Then when you have a player such as Emmitt get in because his numbers are undeniable they will come up with another excuse. In the end they lose because they are in the HOF and there is not **** they can do about it MUHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
You almost have to wonder if this is how their mindset works:

Troy is only good because of Emmitt, Irvin and his line.
The line is only good because of the talent they had at WR, RB and QB
Emmitt is only good because of his line, behind an average line he would never be great.
Irvin is only good because he had a QB like Troy throwing to him and Emmitt forcing teams to single-cover him

Therefore, neither deserves to be in the HOF!

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
This mindset is perpetuated by the east coast sports network which is nearly impossible to bear if you follow a team farther west than Pennsylvania.

DBoys

Reaction score
GTaylor said:

Emmitt is only good because of his line, behind an average line he would never be great.
Irvin is only good because he had a QB like Troy throwing to him and Emmitt forcing teams to single-cover him

No kidding...

It's the logic one would come to stoned off his *** debating the mysteries of :lombardi: while his team sucks.

DBoys

Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO said:
This mindset is perpetuated by the east coast sports network which is nearly impossible to bear if you follow a team farther west than Pennsylvania.

Very true..

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I don't have the time to look it up, but Troy's QB rating for his career matches up very favorably to Moon's and Favre's. Young's is far better.

But, Troy played in a system that makes it very difficult to get a high QB rating. OTOH, Moon and Favre played in short, horizontal route systems that loved to throw the ball in the red zone....thus making it easier for them to have a high QB rating. Despite that disadvantage for Troy, he was right there with them neck and neck in the QB rating department. Plus, he was far better in the postseason than either guy.

What kills me is that Dallas was the best franchise of the 90's, winning 3 Super Bowls and going to another NFC Championship game. Despite that, it seems that according to everybody else they weren't really that good. Emmitt was carried, Troy was carried, and Irvin wasn't all that great either. You'd think there would've been a few great players on that squad.

Rich...........

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
I don't have the time to look it up, but Troy's QB rating for his career matches up very favorably to Moon's and Favre's. Young's is far better.

But, Troy played in a system that makes it very difficult to get a high QB rating. OTOH, Moon and Favre played in short, horizontal route systems that loved to throw the ball in the red zone....thus making it easier for them to have a high QB rating. Despite that disadvantage for Troy, he was right there with them neck and neck in the QB rating department. Plus, he was far better in the postseason than either guy.

What kills me is that Dallas was the best franchise of the 90's, winning 3 Super Bowls and going to another NFC Championship game. Despite that, it seems that according to everybody else they weren't really that good. Emmitt was carried, Troy was carried, and Irvin wasn't all that great either. You'd think there would've been a few great players on that squad.

Rich...........

Dont even mention the future all time INT leader in the same sentence as Troy.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
oh, the famous Cowboy bias. What's next? A Bigfoot spotting?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
you think there is bias and every time you hear something negative bells go off - however, you probably ignore all the positives -- or that sports talk radio is mostly negative toward every topic

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's not about one player, or three...or eleven...or fifty two (maybe 3 or 4 more)..

That TEAM was a team! :cool: It don't really matter who did this or that! That cannot be answered! That's what a team does...that's why it's a team, and to try and pick out who was the best on that team? :cool:

Forget it! All those players were great!

:star:

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Like I said in a previous thread, their actions are called "doublethink."

Just ignore them. Aikman's in the Hall. What does it matter what a bunch of fools think?

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
abersonc said:
oh, the famous Cowboy bias. What's next? A Bigfoot spotting?

Are you being sarcastic or are you really blind to the obvious disdain that the media has for the Dallas Cowboys? That 92-95 squad was one of the deepest, most-talented ever, but all we hear are excuses why they were not so great. The one that really gets me is the one about Emmitt not being that great a "pure runner". Puhleeeez. Since when does running without blocking and catching make you better than guys who can do all three? A lesser RB would not have achieved the things that he did throughout his career. That O-line was awesome, but don't tell me that Emmitt didn't help them look even better. The guy broke tackles and had guys bouncing off of him way past the line of scrimmage. How does the O-line get credit for that?

Another testament to the media's anti-Cowboy bias is that they despised Jimmy Johnson when he was the Dallas coach, but as soon as he left, all of a sudden he was a media darling. I remember CBS did a piece on him when he was still the Dallas coach. They tried to make him look like a profanity-laden brute by beeping almost every word he said, even the clean ones. It was so obvious that they were doing a hatchet job on him. Then he cut ties with the Dallas Cowboys and suddenly they all loved him. The media types were hoping he would have the same succes with Miami. To be honest, I'm glad he didn't.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Boyzmamacita said:
Are you being sarcastic or are you really blind to the obvious disdain that the media has for the Dallas Cowboys?

Blind? You mean like how you are being blind to our natural tendencies to focus on comment that confirm our beliefs and ignore those that go against our beliefs?

Duane

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:

Rich...........

Great blog read.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
abersonc said:
Blind? You mean like how you are being blind to our natural tendencies to focus on comment that confirm our beliefs and ignore those that go against our beliefs?

3 + 3 = 7

:star:

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
abersonc said:

Did you read a thing I just wrote? I respect your opinion, but I don't believe what you're stating is your opinion. You're disagreeing just for the sake of argument. You know exactly what people mean when they say "anti-Cowboys bias." You have heard it yourself. Surely you agree that it is ludicrous for anyone to imply that Aikman was anything but a great QB, maybe the most accurate ever. If he had played for any other team, the topic wouldn't even come up.

vicjagger

Reaction score
GTaylor said:

Either that, or the whole line deserves to be in there!!