The Cowboys bias shows yet again!

kmd24

Reaction score
I agree that there is a media backlash against the Cowboys, but it's only because of the accolades that have been heaped on the team throughout the years. The same thing (though perhaps to a smaller degree) happened with the great teams of each decade, like the Packers, Steelers, and 49ers. Funny thing is, the Cowboys were contenders at one time or another in every one of those decades, while the other teams have peaked and then virtually disappeared.

Bottom line, if there weren't so many good things said about the Cowboys for so many years, you wouldn't hear all the bad stuff. People who aren't Cowboys fans (a greater number of readers than Cowboys fans) are simply tired of hearing about the Cowboys. I think the national sportsmedia plays to this, most of them aren't Cowboys fans (representative of the general population), and those that are forced to act almost apologetic about it.

One thing's for sure - very few people are ambivalent towards the Cowboys. Seems like one must either love them or hate them. How many other teams in all of sports can you say that about? Yankees and Lakers?

I hate to think that some of the great Cowboys players have been or will be slighted, but playing for the most decorated team in football comes with a price.

jimmy40

Reaction score
J-DOG said:
I listen to a good deal of sports radio and today I heard some things that just confirm my belief in a Cowboys bias.
Now first off, I am the first to admit that Troy Aikman's numbers do not matchup to Elway's and Marino's numbers. But his talent was undeniable just the same. I know in Baseball that numbers or stats mean everything, even though they have been skewed forever because of steriods. But in the NFL I thought that "To the winner goes the spoils".
I seem to remember the 70 Steelers being touted as legends of the game when they went into the Hall.
But with the Cowboys of the 90's we are seeing another theme from the media.
Troy's numbers are being brought up to make a debate over whether or not he was great at all. It suddenly doesn't matter that he won 3 Super bowls or that he was MVP of one of those. All of the sudden that is not good enough anymore with Troy being inducted. Irvin not being in there was bad enough but now they are attacking our leader and our qb.
Does that bother anyone else?
It bothers the HELL out of ME!
I'm sick of it.
I'm sick of the media and how they pick apart everything.
Isn't Steve Young in the Hall???
Was Steve Young picked apart like this?
Cowboys fan ask yourself this...Why are Cowboys taking so long to get into the Hall and when a true leader and great qb like Aikman does get in,he get's picked apart?
No Cowboys bias?
Wake up everybody!
If you want to be called America's team then you better be able to deal with the backlash from that.

MC KAos

Reaction score
correct me if im wrong but dont the vikings of the 70s have more hall of famers than the cowboys of that same era? how the hell is that possible? we made it to FIVE superbowls that decade!!!! No doubt in my mind there is biased against the cowboys as far as the hall is concerned.

TheKey

Faster than Felix
Reaction score
Troy is already in the hall of fame as far as im concerned, right next to emmitt and michael. its called the ring of honor

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
TheKey said:
Troy is already in the hall of fame as far as im concerned, right next to emmitt and michael. its called the ring of honor

I agree. If anything, JJ should open a Dallas Cowboys Hall Of Fame with the new stadium, include the players that have been recognized by the HOF, the players that deserve to be recognized by the HOF, but havent, and include players that have put incredible service into the Dallas Cowboys without being cared about by most anyone in the mainstream public like Moose and Bill Bates including people like long serving trainers and the like. It would be a smash hit. We dont need the Pro Football HOF, we are the best franchise in the history of the NFL, being in our HOF is just as prestigious.

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
Whenever I read a thread like this I'm always reminded by the fact that the Cowboys and the Cardinals have the same number of HOF'ers, five (until Troy and Rayfield go in).

Cowboys have played in 7 superbowls, the Cardinals haven't even been in a conference championship game!

Another problem is Troy's performance. He is definitely a HOF'er, but clearly he is not one of the greatest talents at the position compared to other HOF'ers. He had the greatest offensive line in history. He had one of the greatest minds to work with in Jimmy. He had one of the greatest motivators in Michael Irvin. And don't forget, Emmitt!

What Troy had was a great mind for the game, and an incredibly accurate arm. Not too sexy, but they were the tools of a winner!

tyke1doe

Reaction score
abersonc said:
oh, the famous Cowboy bias. What's next? A Bigfoot spotting?

LOL!

And

:clap:

Whether there is or isn't Cowboys bias is irrelevant, IMO.

So what if the national media puts down Troy Aikman's accomplishments.

Let's see:

Won three Super Bowls. Check.

Entering the Hall of Fame. Check.

Contributes to the Positive Image of the Cowboys by being in the national spotlight as a NFL game commentator. Check.

Who cares if people don't give him his due?

The checks are real. The bias is imaginary.

Time to get over it.

burmafrd

Reaction score
ANyone claiming that there is no Anti-Cowboy bias needs to only look at the HOF. How long did it take the tackle on the team of the 70's to get in- years after every other member of that team was in? Oh, wait a minute- there is one member, I recall. that isn't in. AND HE IS A COWBOY as well.
The Vikings have more players in- the FOUR TIME SB LOSERS. Now about the cards its not so bad since they have been a long time NFL team. BUT the VIKINGS? And then there is the over rated and over praised Steelers. I just ask those that claim there is no bias to just look there and compare. They BARELY beat us in two SB's, and those were so very close- yet they have far more players in. If there is no bias explain that. You can't, can you?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I believe that there is bias with respect to the Hall of Fame.

I guess my point is, so what?

What are you going to do about it?

How can you stop it?

Everyone has bias.

But the imaginary fact that people don't think Aikman is worthy of the Hall doesn't detract from the undeniable FACT that he has three Super Bowl rings and WILL BE inducted into the Hall.

Whether people think Moon was a better QB than Aikman is irrelevant IMO.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
they are just big hypocrits

"oh terry bradshaw was a "god" with the steelers....Troy...uh..troy...troy...Oh Troy Aikman...yeah he was ok, he played for Dallas they "bought" those 3 super bowls.."

:bang2: :banghead: :ralph:

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
J-DOG said:
I listen to a good deal of sports radio and today I heard some things that just confirm my belief in a Cowboys bias.
Now first off, I am the first to admit that Troy Aikman's numbers do not matchup to Elway's and Marino's numbers. But his talent was undeniable just the same. I know in Baseball that numbers or stats mean everything, even though they have been skewed forever because of steriods. But in the NFL I thought that "To the winner goes the spoils".
I seem to remember the 70 Steelers being touted as legends of the game when they went into the Hall.
But with the Cowboys of the 90's we are seeing another theme from the media.
Troy's numbers are being brought up to make a debate over whether or not he was great at all. It suddenly doesn't matter that he won 3 Super bowls or that he was MVP of one of those. All of the sudden that is not good enough anymore with Troy being inducted. Irvin not being in there was bad enough but now they are attacking our leader and our qb.
Does that bother anyone else?
It bothers the HELL out of ME!
I'm sick of it.
I'm sick of the media and how they pick apart everything.
Isn't Steve Young in the Hall???
Was Steve Young picked apart like this?
Cowboys fan ask yourself this...Why are Cowboys taking so long to get into the Hall and when a true leader and great qb like Aikman does get in,he get's picked apart?
No Cowboys bias?
Wake up everybody!

I thiknk theres a bias but not because of this. I think Aikmans greatness relative to being a first ballot hall of famer is a legitimate debate. I certainly wouldnt call it an attack. I dont know if you listen to Mike & Mike on ESPN radio but Greenberg, a Jets fan, is going on for weeks now how underrated and great Aikman is. And if winning super bowls was enough dont forget Plunkett won two and he has never been mentioned for hall consideration.

J-DOG

Reaction score
fiveandcounting said:
I thiknk theres a bias but not because of this. I think Aikmans greatness relative to being a first ballot hall of famer is a legitimate debate. I certainly wouldnt call it an attack. I dont know if you listen to Mike & Mike on ESPN radio but Greenberg, a Jets fan, is going on for weeks now how underrated and great Aikman is. And if winning super bowls was enough dont forget Plunkett won two and he has never been mentioned for hall consideration.
And Steve Young is beyond reproach?
Why?
All I am saying is that Steve Young went in without debate.
Shouldn't Aikman who has 2 more Super Bowl rings have the same treatment?
Is it because Young has the all-time qb rating?
Young played in a qb friendly west coast offense which ballooned up his stats.
Much like having Emmitt did not do the same for Aikman.
However I would ask George Siefiert or Mike Holmgren and see what they think of Aikman and his induction into the Hall.
Coaches or people who actually know something about football know that Aikman was a GREAT quarterback.
There is no debate.
There never should have been.
I don't care if it's his first ballot or whatever.
Aikman is a Hall of Famer without question.
What's next???
Emmitt was great but he wasn't all that great because he played with a great offensive line!
I'm sick of that kind of crap!
I know it won't change, but man it's amazing how this team gets treated!

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
the kid 05 said:
they are just big hypocrits

"oh terry bradshaw was a "god" with the steelers....Troy...uh..troy...troy...Oh Troy Aikman...yeah he was ok, he played for Dallas they "bought" those 3 super bowls.."

:bang2: :banghead: :ralph:

Yep.:lmao:

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel. New York & Washington, D.C. are the media capitals of the world. They are also where the Giants & Deadskins play, so there is always going to be ridiculous jealosy against the Cowboys.
The same goes whether in print or commentators. In the one video on Emmitt Smith made during the middle of his career, several former players & media sorts were interviewed on whether Big E. would break Payton's record. One of the biggest pessimists was Joe Theissman. The Deadskin's biggest homer & Cowboy hater obviously stated with some certainty that no way was Smith going to overtake "Sweetness". Another doubter was John Madden.
That takes us to the Left Coast-the third largest media mob in the U.S. Of course, the Raiders' Al Davis & other fans of Oakland are still living in the 70s, and are still trying to convince the world that the Raiders were the team of that decade. They still hate us for receiving the "America's Team" monicur given to our '76 or '77 team by NFL Films. Listening to Davis today at the HOF, you would think that they have actually had a winning record the past straight 25 yrs. & counting...haha.

So, there you have it. We're caught in the middle of the largest media outlets in the country. The only way we can fight them & win is to win titles. Championships are hard to argue. Also, players like Michael Irvin need to stop giving them ammo to us against them.