The Cowboys could screw over Parsons if they wanted to (but they won't)

mcc2121

Reaction score
When it comes to Micah Parsons' next deal he'll likely be the highest paid player outside of QBs. This should, at it's peak, be between $25-30m. However, because he's listed as a LB, his franchise number as of now would only be $18m. Yes, this would be monumentally stupid to annoy a generational player, but we're talking about Stephen Jones.

Do you think the Joneses would be dumb enough to use him being a LB as leverage?

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Of course they will. They would be stupid if they didn't. But they still pay him as much as any 3-4 outside linebacker would get.

RS12

Reaction score
I just checked NFL shop website and it just so happens Micah had the number 2 top selling jersey in September 2022. I would be you anything Jerry is well aware of that. Never mind his tremendous play on the field, Jerry isnt letting that golden goose walk out the door, or making him want to.

zekecowboy

Reaction score
When it comes to Micah Parsons' next deal he'll likely be the highest paid player outside of QBs. This should, at it's peak, be between $25-30m. However, because he's listed as a LB, his franchise number as of now would only be $18m. Yes, this would be monumentally stupid to annoy a generational player, but we're talking about Stephen Jones.

Do you think the Joneses would be dumb enough to use him being a LB as leverage?

You don't franchise tag a generational player.

Flamma

Reaction score

The Cowboys would be screwing themselves over, not Parsons. Although I'm sure Parsons would be annoyed.

Remember, any contract extension he gets starts on his 6th season. Regardless of when he signed the extension. And the first year in most extensions are usually on the low end. Probably less than the FT, which would also take place in the 6th season if he's not given an extension prior to that.

Unless they want to part ways with Parsons after 6 years, they need to extend him after his 3rd season. This way you still have his 4th rookie season to allocate signing bonus money to.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
I hope he gets 100% healthy off the bye. I’d hate to see him play the rest of the year out with some nagging injury that impacts his utilization as it did yesterday. Any player, generational or not, can get bitten by the injury bug.

That’s not what the OP is about, though. I think they’ll pay him as an edge rusher. Not sure what the stat is with players other than QBs, but QBs that are tagged almost never sign a deal with the team that tagged them. Dak was one of the exceptions. If they were to tag him as a LBer, I think he’d bolt, and I wouldn’t blame him.