The Cowboys have 1st Rd pick talent

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
This team has drafted nice for the last few or so years. Alot of these players have panned out. Unfortunately it's time to pay most of them.

Imo I wouldnt mind trading some of these guys for 1st rd picks, continue to build in the draft and stay cheap

I mean why not trade tank or byron, or maybe both for 1st and continue onward through the fog?

I dont think any of them are worth abusing our yearly improving cap. I remember cap hell and this team has worked so hard to get here.

This team cap wise have come an extremely long way. Something that I personally am strongly proud of with them.

I know some of you will not like that idea but it could really work out if our FO are smart about drafting with extra picks. So far there is nothing to make me believe they will screw up after the last few years.

Sydla

Reaction score
This team has drafted nice for the last few or so years. Alot of these players have panned out. Unfortunately it's time to pay most of them.

Imo I wouldnt mind trading some of these guys for 1st rd picks, continue to build in the draft and stay cheap

I mean why not trade tank or byron, or maybe both for 1st and continue onward through the fog?

I dont think any of them are worth abusing our yearly improving cap. I remember cap hell and this team has worked so hard to get here.

This team cap wise have come an extremely long way. Something that I personally am strongly proud of with them.

I know some of you will not like that idea but it could really work out if our FO are smart about drafting with extra picks. So far there is nothing to make me believe they will screw up after the last few years.

If you trade away some of our better players to get first round picks, you are not actually getting better. You are just treading water and not really moving the franchise further.

HanD

Reaction score
If you trade away some of our better players to get first round picks, you are not actually getting better. You are just treading water and not really moving the franchise further.

and that's assuming they all end up like lve. if they take 4 years to develop like dlaw or byron, you are actually moving backwards. that's if you are lucky and don't miss on a couple (hopefully taco turns it around)

SoupcanSam

Reaction score

I trust the FO in drafting high impact players at the positions.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

If you could actually get 1st round picks for either or both? Sign me up.

But you would have to have free agent replacements are in place or you're going backwards and then hoping the guys you draft are as good as what you lost, and taking your lumps while they catch up yo the NFL game.

Or you end up with another Taco Charlton and you're completely screwed.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Belichick has made a living at moving his marketable talent and keeps on winning. Why? Because he can find a guy that does the exact same things just as well but at the price he wants. Once a player outgrows what he wants to pay, then he finds another one.

He has been doing it for years, primarily because he knows what he wants and can evaluate talent.

We avoid getting veterans because we have a weak pro personnel group and really don't have a concrete plan on how to use the talent.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Doing that is betting that you'll continue to draft well. It could work. Or you could draft bust your way to a bad team.

Sydla

Reaction score

Trust them all you want. What has our stacked roster of talent that you think we have actually won? Nothing.

If you trade good experienced players for rookies, you aren't getting better. At best, you are treading water. Worst case, you get worse because you get unlucky and some of your picks actually bust.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Belichick has made a living at moving his marketable talent and keeps on winning. Why? Because he can find a guy that does the exact same things just as well but at the price he wants. Once a player outgrows what he wants to pay, then he finds another one.

He has been doing it for years, primarily because he knows what he wants and can evaluate talent.

We avoid getting veterans because we have a weak pro personnel group and really don't have a concrete plan on how to use the talent.

Yep, I believe it can be done. Will mcclay will also lead the charge. Not to mention Richard also has an eye for talent and could give his 2cents.

I'd rather risk it on the minds of the office personnel.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

https://www.linkedin.com/in/judd-garrett-a9051ba/

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Trust them all you want. What has our stacked roster of talent that you think we have actually won? Nothing.

If you trade good experienced players for rookies, you aren't getting better. At best, you are treading water. Worst case, you get worse because you get unlucky and some of your picks actually bust.

We are fairly stacked. Do you believe trading both would hurt the defense or team overall? We'd have to be really thin for that to happen, and if it were that bad, we wouldnt have even made the playoffs last year.

Sydla

Reaction score
We are fairly stacked. Do you believe trading both would hurt the defense or team overall? We'd have to be really thin for that to happen, and if it were that bad, we wouldnt have even made the playoffs last year.

Yes, this team will not be as good if you trade Jones and Lawrence and replace them with rookies. They likely would not make the playoffs. Remember, this team only finished a game ahead of Philly for the division last year so it's not like we blew the league away.

If you trade Lawrence and Jones and replace them with just rookie draft picks, yes, this team would likely not be better than the 2018 team.

Now if you trade those two and then use FA to add some very good veterans to fill their spots (or other spots to compensate), then you might have a better argument here.

Flamma

Reaction score

I see your point. Like a year before the player is ready to cash in, trade him for a first. I'm assuming you're talking about a few players now and then? This way you can still have good players, but good players mixed in with rookie contracts. So yeah, I would agree with that, but it isn't without risk. But I like the idea because you can't pay everyone.

GenoT

Reaction score
“High impact”...you mean like Randy Gregory, Taco Charlton and Dorrance Armstrong...those kinda high impact players?

Btw...who says Byron Jones would automatically bring a first-round pick?

Swanny

Reaction score
I wish it was that easy. Salary cap forces this not to happen. You can't always sign your best players because of the salary cap. Treading water is exactly what the NFL wants and what it had created with the salary cap

Silly

Reaction score

This is one of the reasons I don't like JG. He doesn't seem to evaluate talent and team needs very well. For example, I think they should have already traded Witten and Lee. You have to use your equity to your advantage or you end up with slow old players with no trade value.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Somebody might give us a first for Tank and a second for Byron. As long as we get a couple of vet fa’s it could work. I’d rather start Lewis anyways..

Replacing Tank is a tall order, we should make a play for Houston if we can’t keep Tank..

HanD

Reaction score

it can be done, but there are risks. belicheck is able to mitigate those risks by having brady and playing buff/mia/nyj twice each season.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can't keep trading talent for cap savings. Like Stephen can't stay cheap too much longer either.
The salary cap is not like a normal checking or savings account, where you try to hold on to your money to live on.

It is there so use it, but use it wisely. Which I think Stephen is trying to do. but he is doing a bit more conservative right now. Maybe because he knows he has a lot of players over the next few years to take care of as well.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Yes, this team will not be as good if you trade Jones and Lawrence and replace them with rookies. They likely would not make the playoffs. Remember, this team only finished a game ahead of Philly for the division last year so it's not like we blew the league away.

If you trade Lawrence and Jones and replace them with just rookie draft picks, yes, this team would likely not be better than the 2018 team.

Now if you trade those two and then use FA to add some very good veterans to fill their spots (or other spots to compensate), then you might have a better argument here.

I believe the argument is good either way because of the fact that we could hit big in drafting. There is definitely not a guarantee that doing such a task would completely bomb.

Youd also have to factor in the cost of the FA you want to sign to replace and if it's worth it. Cheaper FA most of the time means older, which could also mean less effective.

I'd rather have new young, cheap high motored talent in that position.