The Cowboys have a DL problem

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
THere isn't "plenty" of DL talent available. Numbers don't necessarily mean talent. For example, other than Clowney, there aren't many impact DEs at all in FA.

Last off-season the Saints signed DT Malcom for 5M per (3 years, 15M).

A Malcom Brown type DL would be a huge upgrade over Christian Covington and Kerry Hyder playing snaps at DT.

Not all free agents need to be Clowney or Aaron Donald type talent.

Sydla

Reaction score
Last off-season the Saints signed DT Malcom for 5M per (3 years, 15M).

A Malcom Brown type DL would be a huge upgrade over Christian Covington and Kerry Hyder playing snaps at DT.

Not all free agents need to be Clowney or Aaron Donald type talent.

Absolutely but we don't seem to even shop in that bin the Saints found Brown for DL.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Jerry is probably too busy worrying about losing $$ in oil/gas.

Our DL is terrible. The big boys Hargrave and Reader gone now. I didn't really expect to sign them, would have been nice, but that means the next tier is going to be combed over starting now.

You can usually get a decent value, but with the cap increasing even more every year with a new CBA, we need to get a move on.

I think we have about $30mill, ~$38mill if you count a possible Crawford release. I can see why we tagged Dak, but that did wipe off about $10mill in additional cap space.

We're also currently about $70-80mill under 2021 cap

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
It's kind of strange it's not talked about more but the Cowboys have a real problem at DL right now.

They have one upper echelon player. Lawrence. That's it. DE depth after him is now Armstrong, Gregory, Jelks and Jackson. That's it.

DT isn't much better as Collins is a FA. Woods is OK. Hill? Ehhh?

Of course there is also Crawford, who is serviceable but not great at either DE or DT.

It's going to be interesting to see where this front office goes along the DL. Certainly they could be looking at the draft but there are other needs that they may need to look at in the draft.

We'll be fine at DE if Randy makes it back.

The big problem is at DT, particularly RDT. Collins and Bennett gone. Hill definitely not looking promising. Crawford is a year older after a year he couldn't come back in because of chronic hip issues.

We need a starting quality RDT, and a backup LDT. And another for depth/rotation. It's grim.

Sydla

Reaction score
We'll be fine at DE if Randy makes it back.

The big problem is at DT, particularly RDT. Collins and Bennett gone. Hill definitely not looking promising. Crawford is a year older after a year he couldn't come back in because of chronic hip issues.

We need a starting quality RDT, and a backup LDT. And another for depth/rotation. It's grim.

We won't be fine even if Gregory comes back and that's a huge if................ I am generally curious how they are approaching the DL this offseason.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
It's kind of strange it's not talked about more but the Cowboys have a real problem at DL right now.

They have one upper echelon player. Lawrence. That's it. DE depth after him is now Armstrong, Gregory, Jelks and Jackson. That's it.

DT isn't much better as Collins is a FA. Woods is OK. Hill? Ehhh?

Of course there is also Crawford, who is serviceable but not great at either DE or DT.

It's going to be interesting to see where this front office goes along the DL. Certainly they could be looking at the draft but there are other needs that they may need to look at in the draft.

What you have a problem with:

DEs (starters) Randy Gregory, DeMarcus Lawrence, (backups), Dorance Armstrong, Jalen Jelks, Joe Jackson

DTs (starters) Tyrone Crawford, Antwuan Woods, (backups) Trysten Hill, Daniel Wise

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
We won't be fine even if Gregory comes back and that's a huge if................ I am generally curious how they are approaching the DL this offseason.

Fine *at DE* with Gregory back, and I think that's more likely than not, though not guaranteed.

I wonder some of the new coaches have downroster players from other teams they plan on bringing over.

garyv

Reaction score
we had one BEFORE losing Quinn to chicago.
i think they double dip at both DE and DT in the draft...depending how the board looks.

The only thing we are doing is forcing ourselves to hit on our first five draft picks. We need seven players:

2 CB
2 DT
1 DE
1 Safety
1 Slot WR

Sydla

Reaction score
What you have a problem with:

DEs (starters) Randy Gregory, DeMarcus Lawrence, (backups), Dorance Armstrong, Jalen Jelks, Joe Jackson

DTs (starters) Tyrone Crawford, Antwuan Woods, (backups) Trysten Hill, Daniel Wise

You think that's a good DL?

I am not sure where to begin.

- Gregory hasn't played football for a long time. Its unclear if he can even still play. Assuming he is a starter is a big reach. Armstrong has shown himself to be a serviceable backup, at best. Jelks and Jackson? Two practice squad guys that more than likely are just JAGs.

- Crawford? LOL. He's an average player at best. Woods is serviceable at best. Hill? And Wise is a practice squad guy (who FWIW, I actually thought was a good UDFA signing).

This is not a very good DL depth chart.

Gaede

Reaction score
Dl was a huge problem year and now it's even worse. What the hell was their plan here?

Are we seriously relying on Gregory, who hasn't played in two years, and Hill, who basically hasn't played in one year? And Crawford, who hasn't played in a year, and...

gimmesix

Reaction score
You think that's a good DL?

I am not sure where to begin.

- Gregory hasn't played football for a long time. Its unclear if he can even still play. Assuming he is a starter is a big reach. Armstrong has shown himself to be a serviceable backup, at best. Jelks and Jackson? Two practice squad guys that more than likely are just JAGs.

- Crawford? LOL. He's an average player at best. Woods is serviceable at best. Hill? And Wise is a practice squad guy (who FWIW, I actually thought was a good UDFA signing).

This is not a very good DL depth chart.

Didn't say I thought it was good.

I do think some of those players have promise, but promise doesn't mean much.

gimmesix

Reaction score
The only thing we are doing is forcing ourselves to hit on our first five draft picks. We need seven players:

2 CB
2 DT
1 DE
1 Safety
1 Slot WR

I think we should give it a bit before deciding what we need in the draft. Some of those needs could still be filled by FA since it just started.

cowboyec

Reaction score

2 CB
2 DT
1 DE
1 Safety
1 Slot WR
depending on how f/a plays out.
im just saying regardless of what happened with Quinn....our DL was a MAJOR priority.

DRella

Reaction score
The D-Line will be improved from next year even with losses of Collins and Quinn. This is what we have now:

DE-Lawrence,Gregory, Armstrong, Jelks, Jackson
DT-McCoy, Woods, Crawford, Wise, Hill

If somehow we bring Irving back as well that further strengthens DT and the need isn't required there anymore with the McCoy signing and the hope that Hill improves. If Irving is brought back we can also rotate Crawford at end where I think he is better. McCoy is a huge signing. Think of the added pressure he and Irving can have up the middle. What does that do, tougher to double team Lawrence and Gregory on the ends.

Silver bullet in all of this is bringing back Irving.