The Cowboys in January

plasticman

Reaction score
Generally speaking, if a team was very successful in December then they could build momentum going into the playoffs. When you look at the history of Super Bowl teams, they were extremely successful in December.

However, these days, the season ends around the 2nd week of January, due in part to the 17 game schedule adopted in 2021.

Over the past ten seasons, the Cowboys are one of the top teams as far as winning in December. However, they truly struggle after New Year. I'm not just talking about the playoffs and perhaps this will give us some insight into why they do struggle in the playoffs.

Over the past ten seasons the Cowboys are one of the worse teams when it comes to winning in January during the regular season.

I will admit, the sample size is small. The Cowboys have played a total of 6 regular season games in January over the past ten seasons. Four of them were during the New Years weekend and two of them were game #17 in the second week of January.

The results are radically different from their December results. The Cowboys are 1-5 in regular season games played in January and rank around the bottom of the league in that category.

Interestingly, five of the six regular season games played in January was against division foes.

When you combine their playoff record over the past ten seasons with their regular season January games, the Cowboys are a combined 4-9. over the last three seasons, the Cowboys have developed a habit of fizzling out just before the playoffs.

Finding a way to build momentum rather than staggering over the finish line is the key to a Cowboys Super Bowl.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Generally speaking, if a team was very successful in December then they could build momentum going into the playoffs. When you look at the history of Super Bowl teams, they were extremely successful in December.

However, these days, the season ends around the 2nd week of January, due in part to the 17 game schedule adopted in 2021.

Over the past ten seasons, the Cowboys are one of the top teams as far as winning in December. However, they truly struggle after New Year. I'm not just talking about the playoffs and perhaps this will give us some insight into why they do struggle in the playoffs.

Over the past ten seasons the Cowboys are one of the worse teams when it comes to winning in January during the regular season.

I will admit, the sample size is small. The Cowboys have played a total of 6 regular season games in January over the past ten seasons. Four of them were during the New Years weekend and two of them were game #17 in the second week of January.

The results are radically different from their December results. The Cowboys are 1-5 in regular season games played in January and rank around the bottom of the league in that category.

Interestingly, five of the six regular season games played in January was against division foes.

When you combine their playoff record over the past ten seasons with their regular season January games, the Cowboys are a combined 4-9. over the last three seasons, the Cowboys have developed a habit of fizzling out just before the playoffs.

Finding a way to build momentum rather than staggering over the finish line is the key to a Cowboys Super Bowl.
All true, and good points….

But I’m more concerned with winning the division rather than momentum.

This team will need at least one playoff game at home if they are going anywhere.

Of course, being able to do that probably goes hand in hand with overcoming that brutal schedule at the end.

Philly, Buffalo, Miami, Detroit in consecutive weeks. That ain’t even fair.

Momentum, luck, and a decent seed so every playoff game isn’t on the road…..gonna need em all.

Creeper

Reaction score
Of course we want out team to win every game, but it is true, starting fast and finishing slow is not as good as starting slow and finishing fast. It is hard for any team to play strong every game for 17 games. Building momentum heading into the playoffs is one of the keys to winning it all. Injuries is another.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
December is a long way off. Many teams will be playing different by then.
That home game with Philly could be the game for the NFCE title, or a big step in taking control.

Buffalo does not look as strong as many believe they are. And the Dolphins look strong, but they too shown some vulnerability. They had a cupcake schedule so far other than Buffalo.
Detroit is the game to be more concerned about as of they way they are playing now.
Even at Washington could be a tough game.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Have the Cowboys played a week 17/18 game that mattered in January? The January regular season record means pretty much nothing.

2022: Washington - L
2021: ARZ - L, PHI - W
2020: NYG - L
2019 -
2018 -
2017 -
2016 - PHI - W
2015 - WAS - L
2014 -
2013 -

The only games that were even close to being games that mattered were in 2021. There's really nothing to learn from this.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think the December record is overblown. What you are really for is improvement not record. The NFC East has had some lean years where Washington and NY were just jockeying for draft position rather than trying to win games.

I don’t see the Cowboys improving during the course of most seasons. I see us accumulating injuries and not being able to put enough quality on the field at the end. We limp to a lot of finish lines.

CCBoy

Reaction score
All true, and good points….

But I’m more concerned with winning the division rather than momentum.

This team will need at least one playoff game at home if they are going anywhere.

Of course, being able to do that probably goes hand in hand with overcoming that brutal schedule at the end.

Philly, Buffalo, Miami, Detroit in consecutive weeks. That ain’t even fair.

Momentum, luck, and a decent seed so every playoff game isn’t on the road…..gonna need em all.
Forged in fire creates steel!

plasticman

Reaction score
December is a long way off. Many teams will be playing different by then.
That home game with Philly could be the game for the NFCE title, or a big step in taking control.

Buffalo does not look as strong as many believe they are. And the Dolphins look strong, but they too shown some vulnerability. They had a cupcake schedule so far other than Buffalo.
Detroit is the game to be more concerned about as of they way they are playing now.
Even at Washington could be a tough game.
Miami shows vulnerability on the road, good for the Eagles.

They have averaged 48 points a game at home with a 4 TD's margin of victory.....bad for the Cowboys.

plasticman

Reaction score
I think the December record is overblown. What you are really for is improvement not record. The NFC East has had some lean years where Washington and NY were just jockeying for draft position rather than trying to win games.

I don’t see the Cowboys improving during the course of most seasons. I see us accumulating injuries and not being able to put enough quality on the field at the end. We limp to a lot of finish lines.
We limp to a lot of finish lines.

And that's my point. Although the Cowboys are ranked 4th over the past ten seasons in December victories, they are tied 2nd to last in January victories. The change to 17 game schedules has pushed more of the regular season into January so December results may not be as significant in measuring momentum.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We limp to a lot of finish lines.

And that's my point. Although the Cowboys are ranked 4th over the past ten seasons in December victories, they are tied 2nd to last in January victories. The change to 17 game schedules has pushed more of the regular season into January so December results may not be as significant in measuring momentum.
Well, apparently the December record wasn’t predictive of much even before the 17 game schedule.

CCBoy

Reaction score
It also creates burned steaks...which is what has happened to the Cowboys.
Only for people who can't work through and approach challenge constructively. Ever taken it to battle and fail? No second place finisher receives an award. Team requires dignity of competition. Ever tried it, smart guy. I'm a fan and support team.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Miami shows vulnerability on the road, good for the Eagles.

They have averaged 48 points a game at home with a 4 TD's margin of victory.....bad for the Cowboys.
This fan says bring them on!