CFZ The Cowboys Need to Refocus on Sacking the QB

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I would like to see a mix of LB and DE for Parsons.

It was difficult for offenses when they did not know where he would be from snap to snap. He did play a small number of snaps at LB; although on at least 1 of those Parsons rushed and a DE dropped in coverage.

True.

I get it. I'm exaggerating a bit. They play him as a traditional LBer for a handful of plays.

But they should do that more. We have guys who can play DE while he plays LB.. It would help us get our best 11 on the field on defense, if he were to play LBer some.

Or scratch "some," LBer on the majority of plays.

Not sure if this is Parsons' ego, or what. But wearing him out there isn't going to help this team as much as moving him around like a chess piece would help.

If you're not going to play Parsons there, use Sam Williams. He has the skillset to play any of the LBer spots as well.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Our pass rush has completely disappeared. You’re not going to get far in the playoffs with no pass rush along with giving up 30+ points per game. This defense is a shell of what it was earlier in the season.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I would like to see a mix of LB and DE for Parsons.

It was difficult for offenses when they did not know where he would be from snap to snap. He did play a small number of snaps at LB; although on at least 1 of those Parsons rushed and a DE dropped in coverage.

Right.

You're saying what I'm saying. I want to see him playing the run some. Playing in coverage some. Then rushing him.

He'll be more effective when you don't rush him every play, especially every play from the same spot.

What makes him so great is that he can fulfill other rolls on the defense, and stay pretty fresh because of his size, speed, athleticism. Then entire defense is more effective because it's more of a chess game that way. And Parsons is better when you don't know he's coming.

Not sure why the Cowboys have done this, especially with LVE out. It likely cost us the JAGs game. And didn't really work all that well against the Uglies.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Granted, some teams have figured us out, and they are designing plays to counter the pass rush. Sometimes, teams are using it against us. (I argue, because we're more predictable with Parsons at DE full-time.)

And I know the defensive line is a little banged up, along with the LB crew, and the secondary is missing Brown.

So we've got a lot more things going on out there than some would consider when saying we need more sacks. But I'm going to say just that. We need more sacks. As much as they stepped up to make key plays today, with Kearse and Bland both making game-changing plays, this defense needs to find its identity again.

But, sadly, we have 1 sack over the past 3 games.

In any event, this is what we all wanted. We all wanted to beat the Eagles today.

Well, we beat them.

And I'd argue their backup today was far better than our backup when we played them the first time.

Over at the Eagles message board, all the fans there are hoping to avoid us in the playoffs.

Why do you think that is?

Because we suck so bad?

Get back to sacking the QB, and we have the potential to be unstoppable.

To all those saying this isn't playoff contender, I say we are just as much of a contender as any other team in the league.

And if we aren't, then who has so much better a chance than the Cowboys?
They need to rest Parsons before he is too worn out and nicked to play anymore this season.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Cowboys won the game by 6 pts. Against a backup quarterback.

Hurts plays, Dallas loses by 17.

Still 2 more weeks left in the regular season, Cowboys need to get better, but they aren't getting Brown or Lewis back, maybe not Hankins, and who knows about LVE.

Going to be tough....

Pass2Run

Reaction score
We did this game, but then again Hurts wasn't in, he's 1/3 of their rushing attack most games. And Minshew missed the wide-open throw for a td that Hurts would have been very unlikely to miss. That td would have put us in too big a hole, Imo.

But the playoffs are a different level, teams have to elevate their game, and Dallas got 4 turnovers this game, going to be difficult to up that, though they've done it in the past, albeit a long time ago (Dallas-Denver SB). Point is a team can get more than 4 turnovers in a playoff game, not like it's unheard of.

We'll see...

Look at it this way.

The Super Bowl last year was decided by 3 points in a game where two teams got some lucky breaks along the way to get there.

This is the NFL in the cap era.

It's not the NCAA football league the fans try to make it out to be, where blowouts determine where you are on the spectrum.

It's wins and losses only. And then an elimination series. Again, in the cap era.

As far as your backup analogy. Doesn't hold water with me. I've watched Jalen Hurt play all year. He's usually not as good as Minshew was today.....

My gut feeling is they started him because they felt he gave them a better chance.

yep…. Teams have been quick passing us to death cause they are in 3rd and manageable all game

To me, that's been because of the lack of LVE, as well as Parsons not being present in the LB game to stop the run.

There really is a lot going on out there. And DQ hasn't been completely stupid. But he could be tougher to play against if he had Parsons back there with Barr and Clark and the safeties. You still have a pass rush that a way, is my take.

Last edited:

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
As far as your backup analogy. Doesn't hold water with me. I've watched Jalen Hurt play all year. He's usually not as good as Minshew was today..

Minshew threw 2 ints. In one game. Hurts has 5 in 13 games. Minshew had 2 fumbles in one game, Hurts 9 in 13 games. Minshew's rating was 84.9, Hurts is 104.9. Minshew had a 1.2 ypa rushing, Hurts 4.8.

Lastly, Minshew played 1 game, and he lost it. Hurts played 13 and lost only 1 of those.

Hurts is not to the level of a Mahomes, but no way Minshew played better than Hurts has all year.