The Cowboys Should Draft a Quarterback in the Top Three Rounds

plasticman

Reaction score
If the Cowboys had drafted Lamar Jackson instead of LVE in 2018, do you think Dak Prescott would have been given a 40 million a year contract?

Granted, I cherry picked but my point is that having a viable alternative is the best leverage in contract negotiations. They don't necessarily have to select another quarterback in the 1st round but a top three pick would most likely have the tools to be the backup quarterback in his rookie season.

There are several other benefits to drafting a quarterback in the top three rounds every three years:

It's just as important to have competition at the quarterback position as it is at any position in the NFL. Competition brings out the best in both quarterbacks and the starter has the realization that he must continue to play well in order to keep starting.

If the starter goes down for a period of time, you have a backup with the potential skills to be a future starter and so now he receives valuable experience that the team can benefit from in the future depending on his level of success.

You don't have to shell out millions for a veteran backup with no upside or future growth.

The team receives a valuable trading commodity. A young quarterback with starting potential that has demonstrated some level of success can be worth much in trade value.

Considering the effect of losing a starting quarterback, it would be prudent for the Cowboys to adopt a "two quarterbacks" mentality. A now 17 game regular season implies that a larger percentage of games will be quarterbacked by a backup. Two quarterbacks that are not "projects" but legitimate starters would insure that the season is not in the trash can because your starter was hurt and missed significant time.

I don't know if the Cowboys can find a compatible QB for their offense in the 2nd or 3rd rounds this next drat but they should at least evaluate the possibility every season and make the move when they find one.