Twitter: The Cowboys Top 10 Cap Hits For 2022

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Here's a list of 10 players who would save the most money off the books if released or traded before June 1st.
  • Amari Cooper – $16 million
  • DeMarcus Lawrence – $8 million
  • Tyron Smith – $5.4 million
  • Anthony Brown – $5 million
  • Blake Jarwin – $ 3.8 million
  • Zack Martin – $3.14 million
  • Connor McGovern – $2.54 million
  • Greg Zuerlein – $2.4 million
  • Jourdan Lewis – $2.3 million
  • Tarell Basham – $1.7 million
Here are the top-10 player-savings for post June 1 cuts:
  • Amari Cooper – $20 million
  • DeMarcus Lawrence – $19 million
  • Tyron Smith – $13.5 million
  • Zack Martin – $11.8 million
  • La'el Collins – $10 million
  • Blake Jarwin – $ 4.8 million
  • Jourdan Lewis – $3.4 million
The big differences here on this list are Lawrence, whose savings jumps from $8 million to $19 million. And there's La'el Collins, who wasn't even on the previous list, since his savings before June 1 would only be around $1.7 million. But if they did it after June 1, it'd be $10 million.

And with Terence Steele proving to be a capable starter on the right side, it would be something to consider, especially if they don't do anything with Tyron Smith's contract.

Sydla

Reaction score
Here's a list of 10 players who would save the most money off the books if released or traded before June 1st.
The big differences here on this list are Lawrence, whose savings jumps from $8 million to $19 million. And there's La'el Collins, who wasn't even on the previous list, since his savings before June 1 would only be around $1.7 million. But if they did it after June 1, it'd be $10 million.

And with Terence Steele proving to be a capable starter on the right side, it would be something to consider, especially if they don't do anything with Tyron Smith's contract.

Getting rid of Collins would be pretty dumb. We have OL issues as it stands now, so cutting a good one just to save $10 million in cap space that technically doesn't even become available until AFTER June 1 seems foolish.

Flamma

Reaction score

Teams are only allowed 2 post June 1st cuts.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The Zeke hit is the absolute worst. RBs are never paid this way on teams winning championships in this current era. I know a ton of fans are mad about the Dak $ but that’s just what the NFL market pays for STARTING QBs. You don’t have to be a star to get that kind of money.

I think Coop, DLaw and Zeke should be released. I know because of the absolute insane way JJ allowed the structure of Zeke’s contract they won’t cut him. But the other two need to be released IMO.

Cooper is an excellent receiver but having him here has only made a major difference in 2018. In the 3.5 seasons he’s been here, we’ve made the playoffs twice, winning 1 WC game. He’s not been a difference maker and mysteriously disappears in some of our biggest games. We won 9 games in 2021 without DLaw.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
The Zeke hit is the absolute worst. RBs are never paid this way on teams winning championships in this current era. I know a ton of fans are mad about the Dak $ but that’s just what the NFL market pays for STARTING QBs. You don’t have to be a star to get that kind of money.

I think Coop, DLaw and Zeke should be released. I know because of the absolute insane way JJ allowed the structure of Zeke’s contract they won’t cut him. But the other two need to be released IMO.

Cooper is an excellent receiver but having him here has only made a major difference in 2018. In the 3.5 seasons he’s been here, we’ve made the playoffs twice, winning 1 WC game. He’s not been a difference maker and mysteriously disappears in some of our biggest games. We won 9 games in 2021 without DLaw.
Could not agree more on Zeke, Cooper and DLaw. “Stars” that NEVER shine in big moments.

John813

Reaction score
3 of those are inexplicable. Then there is Anthony Brown. That one is whatever is worse than inexplicable. I think he is a good 3/4 CB. 6.5 million though. Yikes!
I doubt Brown is here at a 6.5mil cap hit one way or another.

Last year of his extension, backloaded deal of course.

JonesBoys

Reaction score

Couldn’t agree more. Cooper is a luxury they can’t afford at that cap hit. Lawrence again I would like to see stay but not at that price tag. If he isn’t willing to restructure than they have to cut him after June 1st.
Zeke needs to be cut whenever his horrible contract allows it.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Mind you all that the OP is not a list of what we COULD do if we choose.....we MUST do some of them just to get under the cap.

Personally I'd rather lose a few players before continuing to push large, large dead money into the future with Prescott.

This group as is has proven it can't get close to winning, so now we can't even keep status quo because of past mistakes with dead money and big dollars.

So suddenly it gets better with a worse team and same coaches?

And we at the SAME time have to steal all these cap dollars from future seasons in order to still not win??

I mean, I guess the owner wants to tell himself and anyone who will listen that he has a SB team...but he doesn't.....and doesnt seem to have a solid plan for the right now or the not too distant future.

Have one or the other. This is a plan that will leave us in eternal mediocrity. Although I'm not sure the kid cares all that much, as long as the dollars roll in.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
"Traded" is the only word to use when discussing players under contract. Most of these players have value & if you decide you need to move on you need to recover as much value as you can.

fivetwos

Reaction score

Bob I can't stand the guy with a passion, and cannot wait until he is off my team...

I dont need to list the reasons....

But there's just no possible way to get out of Elliotts deal and having it make sense.

They can't go clearing 30 million in restructures just to be able to cut him. Better off keeping him.

A trade helps but since the salary is guaranteed, the acquiring team would need to pay him 12.5 million.

So you're either gotta push more dead money into the future to cut him, or probably offer pick 24 plus to another team to trade for him.

I just CANT believe Jerry gave him top of the position money, AND a guaranteed salary 18 months in advance when the upcoming season is already guaranteed (i.e. uncuttable) for FOUR straight years.

The signing bonus was only 7.5m, quite light on a 90m total, so that was probably the tradeoff and why we are in this mess cap wise.

But hey.....you NEED those triplets right? Along with any 50 other players and any one of 500 coaches.

That's the secret sauce I guess.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Then there is Anthony Brown. That one is whatever is worse than inexplicable. I think he is a good 3/4 CB. 6.5 million though. Yikes!

I don't know that I agree with this. He is not without warts but I would totally take his performance \ pay combination for this past season. I mean he was your starter and played starter reps. He also did play pretty well & make some plays. When I look at the cornerback contract list, I think he's better than most if not all of the veterans that make in that same neighborhood. I mean you got guys making $10MM + that I wouldn't take over him. If I knew how to get the chart posted I would. Bottom line though, whoever the top cornerbacks are, they aren't 3x better than Brown. (3 CB's avg more than $19MM\year).

NEODOG

44cowboys22
Reaction score

Winner winner chicken dinner