The Cowboys True Nature?

rwalters31

Reaction score
I have been reading the many post this week in the COWBOYSZONE and almost all have indicated that the team defense was doing better and looking like the San Diego defense when Wade was with them.

My question is that I do not remember the San Diego defense doing the zone defense with a bend but don’t break philosophy. San Diego back then seemed to attack a lot more than we do. So, are we the second coming of the Wade San Diego defense or are we a different animal?:confused:

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
Hobbling Newman, Rusty Pac, Backup SS. Wait until week 14 and you'll see, way too early to tell.

This Sunday would be a great coming out party though.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
GoinForSix;2284987 said:
Hobbling Newman, Rusty Pac, Backup SS. Wait until week 14 and you'll see, way too early to tell.

This Sunday would be a great coming out party though.

Oh come on... you know thats not why. Wade wont be aggressive. I dont know why.

Prossman

Reaction score
Last year with Newman and henry hurt for most of the year, with Reaves starting, if we attacked to much teams burnt reaves for a td. This year Newman was out and pacman was still knocking the rust off plus we have two rookies ( scandrick and Jenkins) getting allot of plaing time. Both guys are very talented but are rookies, facing teams for the first time. Everything is a first time look for them. To their credit the both have played very well. As the season goes on, the better our dbs are going to get. We can already take henry and either blitz him or put him over the tight end. All because of our talent in the backfield. More pressure will come, or we can use our dbs to shut down wrs . The defense is getting better every week. How good will the cowboys be when the defense is clicking as good as the offense is right now?!!! Scary........its going to be brutal! Prossman

KLJ

Reaction score
i think wade is opening it up more and more. we saw henry blitzing last game and i think you will see more and more of those things as the season rolls on..

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
rwalters31;2284979 said:
I have been reading the many post this week in the COWBOYSZONE and almost all have indicated that the team defense was doing better and looking like the San Diego defense when Wade was with them.

My question is that I do not remember the San Diego defense doing the zone defense with a bend but don’t break philosophy. San Diego back then seemed to attack a lot more than we do. So, are we the second coming of the Wade San Diego defense or are we a different animal?:confused:
Attacking, as in blitzing? If so, he didn't blitz there more than here.

KLJ;2285026 said:
i think wade is opening it up more and more. we saw henry blitzing last game and i think you will see more and more of those things as the season rolls on..
Actually, this season he's blitzing less and less each game. Probably just a coincidence more than anything, though.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Prossman;2285015 said:
Last year with Newman and henry hurt for most of the year, with Reaves starting, if we attacked to much teams burnt reaves for a td. This year Newman was out and pacman was still knocking the rust off plus we have two rookies ( scandrick and Jenkins) getting allot of plaing time. Both guys are very talented but are rookies, facing teams for the first time. Everything is a first time look for them. To their credit the both have played very well. As the season goes on, the better our dbs are going to get. We can already take henry and either blitz him or put him over the tight end. All because of our talent in the backfield. More pressure will come, or we can use our dbs to shut down wrs . The defense is getting better every week. How good will the cowboys be when the defense is clicking as good as the offense is right now?!!! Scary........its going to be brutal! Prossman

This post makes the most sense. Good job. Everybody seemed to fault Brian Stewart and Wade for most of the defensive issues last year, but the fact of the matter is Reeves was out there a lot due to Newman's and Henry's injuries.

With that said, you can't just throw the kitchen sink at opposing offenses with a Jacquez Reeve's on an island, or even in the slot. Reeve's was adequate, but that was about it.

The rookies, Jenkins and Scandrick are coming along nicely. Alan Ball in his second year is already in my humble opinion as good as a seasoned Jacquez Reeves who is now with Houston. But with a healthy Newman and Henry in the secondary, the Cowboys can become so much more aggresive with their schemes and will undoubtedly get better with each game.

sago1

Reaction score
I think we also have to add in the play of DT Ratliff. He's really getting the job done by bringing inside pressure on opposing QBs. I may be wrong but I don't think Campbell has been sacked this year. So I'd love to see Ware, Ellis & Spencer along with Ratliff & any others Wade choses to use sack Campbell. I think we sacked Rogers 5 times last week; I hope we sack Campbell at least 8 times & get consistent pressure on him to force at least 3 INTs.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Spencer was inactive last week, right? Is he ready to go this week against the Skins? I hope so. Just means more talent on the field and more depth. I'm still looking for big things from Anthony this season.

I know it's only his second season, but he is Ellis's replacement later on.

rwalters31

Reaction score
theogt;2285041 said:
Attacking, as in blitzing? If so, he didn't blitz there more than here.

Actually, this season he's blitzing less and less each game. Probably just a coincidence more than anything, though.

I remember that San Diego led the league in sacks that year and no one was even close. Their secondary had a large number of picks but the real benefit was the coverage sacks by the defense. This I believe was due to close coverage of receivers. This brings me back to the original post of this tread, are we going toward that type of defense of Wade or a hybrid of that defense? Are sacks the indicator of where we want to go or yards allowed?

I see in the other post in this thread that many see the evolution of some players as a key to the defense. Does this mean that the scheme is dependant on the players or the player’s dependant on the scheme? Your thoughts.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
rwalters31;2285147 said:
I remember that San Diego led the league in sacks that year and no one was even close. Their secondary had a large number of picks but the real benefit was the coverage sacks by the defense. This I believe was due to close coverage of receivers. This brings me back to the original post of this tread, are we going toward that type of defense of Wade or a hybrid of that defense? Are sacks the indicator of where we want to go or yards allowed?

I see in the other post in this thread that many see the evolution of some players as a key to the defense. Does this mean that the scheme is dependant on the players or the player’s dependant on the scheme? Your thoughts.
San Diego had 61 sacks that season. We're on pace for 53. Eight sacks over the course of 16 games isn't much of a difference. And we've played the best O-lines we're going to play all season so far.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
rwalters31;2284979 said:

Well,not that I am overly impressed with the numbers but currently we are ranked 9th in the league defensively giving up an average of 292 yards a game and are 16 giving up an average of 21 points a game. Our offense is ranked # 1 for yardage averaging 440 yards a game and 3rd in scoring averaging 32 points a game. Our offensive totals could be much better believe it or not but 2 of the games we played the 4th quarter was pretty much garbage time and we did give points and yardage away with turnovers and playing soft deep defense being up. To boot, teams are forced to throw to catch up when we are playing soft/safe deep coverage while trying to keep everything in front and in the middle of our D when we are ahead in the middle of the 4th.

We are not at our peak defensively and yes we need to shape some things up which we will. There is more reason to believe the D will reach top 5 status not facing these top notch offenses every week now either. I'm not overly concerned. Our offense is only going to get better believe it or not once we execute better and become less error prone in the red zone.