The culture and effects

glimmerman

Reaction score
JJ bought this team and wanted to do it himself his way and wanted all the credit and had the money to do it.

Smart enough to put a HC in place and share power of players with him. And Jimmy picked his staff and if he wanted to bench a player then ok. Was all new to JJ and he wanted to win.

After an open check book and huge trade for all the players we needed and poaching a few big pieces, and again with the right people in place they achieved it. JJ did not feel like he was getting enough credit. He has said it’s his toy.. He got to know the inter workings of how it’s ran. Argued with Jimmy and told him he could get anyone to win with this team… Jimmy said bye probably before he was fired or put up with anything else..

JJ had a dynasty and had started being friends with the players. Treating them like family and letting them know who the boss was.. Who signs the checks. He hires someone who likely did everything he said but had no clue and lost. Got a switzer the next year and the last of his paid talent got him a SB. Switzer apparently was a good motivator and got the team prepared for games. That was all he needed to believe he could do it his way. Things changed with the cap.

All the things he had around him took up to much of his credit. So he starts or continues to pay HC’s to let him run the team low key. But they do whatever JJ wants. The yes man.

It’s got so bad that if he wants a player he will pay them what they want and brings them in like family for Christmas at his house. I remember we got pacman and I think it was D-Law or some star player that told him don’t worry about JG, he don’t run anything. It got out in the media and after that I think JJ put the clamps on what players were saying and what his media around him prints..

He will pay for talent. Dez gonna hold out. He gets paid. D-Law refused a shoulder surgery till he got paid. Elliot held out 2 years early in Cabo (lol) for a new contract that JJ paid. As long as at the end JJ gets to talk about how he landed the splash player and they know he is in control.

All this has added up to is a culture that has little or no respect for the staff because players quickly learn who is in charge and writing the checks. They are entitled. No toughness installed.

When they are winning they play with swagger but when they get punched in the mouth they either do not have the will to or do not feel they need to punch back. They lack the nasty dog leadership needed. These players know that the staff will be the scapegoat instead of the player. JJ wants to be a players owner that’s in charge.

MMs 12 win seasons will keep this JJ train going for a long while. A good yes man that can get you to the playoffs and a bunch of players that are buddies with the owner.

And a cheap owners son. When he takes over we will see him hire a cheap GM and we will see change. He knows this team will make money every year. But if he gets to the SB he will make more and I don’t think he wants to be buddies with the players and don’t want to call the plays. Will take him a few years to get the right GM. Is MCclay the man. Not sure but since he has taken over the scout team and tells JJ who to draft it’s gotten better. Somewhat.

Just pull down your pants and slide on the ice guys and girls. Maybe we will get lucky and the players and staff win us a SB despite the problem. I don’t care if he gets the credit.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
b31awnU.gif

CowboysRule

Reaction score
This post is full of assumptions. Everyone wants to blame Jerry. At some point, players need to play. It has nothing to do with being buddies with the owner or whoever.

glimmerman

Reaction score
This post is full of assumptions. Everyone wants to blame Jerry. At some point, players need to play. It has nothing to do with being buddies with the owner or whoever.
It’s the culture he has made for these players. He goes and talks to the team before some games. He used to go down on the sidelines during the game. He has players invited to his house to celebrate holidays.. How many other owners do this stuff.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
It’s the culture he has made for these players. He goes and talks to the team before some games. He used to go down on the sidelines during the game. He has players invited to his house to celebrate holidays.. How many other owners do this stuff.
I'm sure there are quite a few owners who invite players to their house for celebrations. I can't give you an actual number because I don't follow other teams close enough to go about their internal going-ons, I just watch the games. I think that's an issue a lot of people have. You see our organization that you follow closely, you see all that happens, you hate what you don't agree with. You don't hear that stuff about other teams because you don't follow them so closely and you label our team as a "circus" or whatever disparaging adjective of your choosing. We aren't very different from most other teams. Do any of you really believe that Jerry is the only thing keeping this team from a deep playoff run? How did Jerry cause our defense to get gashed against GB? How did Jerry cause our offense to fall apart? The coaches need to coach and the players need to play. Jerry just sits in a suite and watches.

Gambit

Reaction score
JJ bought this team and wanted to do it himself his way and wanted all the credit and had the money to do it.

Smart enough to put a HC in place and share power of players with him. And Jimmy picked his staff and if he wanted to bench a player then ok. Was all new to JJ and he wanted to win.

After an open check book and huge trade for all the players we needed and poaching a few big pieces, and again with the right people in place they achieved it. JJ did not feel like he was getting enough credit. He has said it’s his toy.. He got to know the inter workings of how it’s ran. Argued with Jimmy and told him he could get anyone to win with this team… Jimmy said bye probably before he was fired or put up with anything else..

JJ had a dynasty and had started being friends with the players. Treating them like family and letting them know who the boss was.. Who signs the checks. He hires someone who likely did everything he said but had no clue and lost. Got a switzer the next year and the last of his paid talent got him a SB. Switzer apparently was a good motivator and got the team prepared for games. That was all he needed to believe he could do it his way. Things changed with the cap.

All the things he had around him took up to much of his credit. So he starts or continues to pay HC’s to let him run the team low key. But they do whatever JJ wants. The yes man.

It’s got so bad that if he wants a player he will pay them what they want and brings them in like family for Christmas at his house. I remember we got pacman and I think it was D-Law or some star player that told him don’t worry about JG, he don’t run anything. It got out in the media and after that I think JJ put the clamps on what players were saying and what his media around him prints..

He will pay for talent. Dez gonna hold out. He gets paid. D-Law refused a shoulder surgery till he got paid. Elliot held out 2 years early in Cabo (lol) for a new contract that JJ paid. As long as at the end JJ gets to talk about how he landed the splash player and they know he is in control.

All this has added up to is a culture that has little or no respect for the staff because players quickly learn who is in charge and writing the checks. They are entitled. No toughness installed.

When they are winning they play with swagger but when they get punched in the mouth they either do not have the will to or do not feel they need to punch back. They lack the nasty dog leadership needed. These players know that the staff will be the scapegoat instead of the player. JJ wants to be a players owner that’s in charge.

MMs 12 win seasons will keep this JJ train going for a long while. A good yes man that can get you to the playoffs and a bunch of players that are buddies with the owner.

And a cheap owners son. When he takes over we will see him hire a cheap GM and we will see change. He knows this team will make money every year. But if he gets to the SB he will make more and I don’t think he wants to be buddies with the players and don’t want to call the plays. Will take him a few years to get the right GM. Is MCclay the man. Not sure but since he has taken over the scout team and tells JJ who to draft it’s gotten better. Somewhat.

Just pull down your pants and slide on the ice guys and girls. Maybe we will get lucky and the players and staff win us a SB despite the problem. I don’t care if he gets the credit.
Out of curiosity hoping you can explain something.

If JJ is as inept as many say he is and hires yes men including MM, and MM has coached the team to 3 straight 12-5 finishes, first coach to do that and 3 straight playoff appearances first coach since the 90s, and is a yes man...

How does that make JJ inept since he's directing all of as you claim??

CowboyinMD

Reaction score

I was thinking about this earlier today. There are certain aspect that GM Jerry and Stephen are doing well with at times, largely because of McClay and other player personnel folks within the org. They've had good rosters. Hell, they were the #1 seed in 2007 and 2016, and we're in the divisional round in '09 and '14, along with last year and vs. the Rams a few years back.

So the talent and results were there getting into the postseason. Must be doing something right, no? Can't be 'soft' when you get that far. But obviously, especially with the #1 seed duds on 2007 and 2016, something was missing. I think that has more to do with the beta type HCs in Wade, Garrett, and now McCarthy. BUT, who hires those coaches? Who enables the Country Club environment? It comes back to Jerry and Stephen.

Like the OP mentioned, maybe they can pull a Raiders in the early 2000s and get to the championship game DESPITE the culture. Who knows, maybe the players and coaches will finally take it into their own hands to change the narrative..

Or not.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

There is a huge difference between building a team from scratch, which is what Jimmy and Jerry did, and trying to maintain one as a playoff contender every year which is what Jerry and Stephen have tasked McCarthy to do.

Building from scratch with a god-awful team, Jerry and Jimmy got the benefit of a great draft position for a couple of years. And Jerry made some great trades. Nowadays, we don't get that benefit with draft positions, and the front office rarely ever makes great trades.

This explains the difference between then and now. Jerry, without Jimmy, is not a SB-caliber football GM. Nepotism and a GM immune from accountability have prevented this FO from putting together a SB quality team. McCarthy is set to fail. Expect a new HC in 2025. More of the same.

glimmerman

Reaction score
There is a huge difference between building a team from scratch, which is what Jimmy and Jerry did, and trying to maintain one as a playoff contender every year which is what Jerry and Stephen have tasked McCarthy to do.

Building from scratch with a god-awful team, Jerry and Jimmy got the benefit of a great draft position for a couple of years. And Jerry made some great trades. Nowadays, we don't get that benefit with draft positions, and the front office rarely ever makes great trades.

This explains the difference between then and now. Jerry, without Jimmy, is not a SB-caliber football GM. Nepotism and a GM immune from accountability have prevented this FO from putting together a SB quality team. McCarthy is set to fail. Expect a new HC in 2025. More of the same.
Nice post.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I was thinking about this earlier today. There are certain aspect that GM Jerry and Stephen are doing well with at times, largely because of McClay and other player personnel folks within the org. They've had good rosters. Hell, they were the #1 seed in 2007 and 2016, and we're in the divisional round in '09 and '14, along with last year and vs. the Rams a few years back.

So the talent and results were there getting into the postseason. Must be doing something right, no? Can't be 'soft' when you get that far. But obviously, especially with the #1 seed duds on 2007 and 2016, something was missing. I think that has more to do with the beta type HCs in Wade, Garrett, and now McCarthy. BUT, who hires those coaches? Who enables the Country Club environment? It comes back to Jerry and Stephen.

Like the OP mentioned, maybe they can pull a Raiders in the early 2000s and get to the championship game DESPITE the culture. Who knows, maybe the players and coaches will finally take it into their own hands to change the narrative..

Or not.
Looks to be the only way I see.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Why should they? These players aren't being paid on just on field performance. Jerry pays players as much on marketing as anything else and he's slow to move on from underperforming guys.

CowboysRule

Reaction score

Or not.
Country Club environment? You think it's different anywhere else? The CBA is the reason for that atmosphere. You can only practice every so often, only sometimes in pads. That's what the players bargained for. How do you expect Jerry to change that?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
If you are not drafting QBs high in the draft, your chances diminish quite a bit. Jerry still hasn't learned this lesson since 1989.

plymkr

Reaction score
None of that stuff bothers me as much as the general idea that Jerry uses the Cowboys as a catalyst for his own fame/celebrity. That mindset trickles down to the team and the players use the Cowboys to get famous and be celebrities. IMO that is the malignant disease of culture that causes the Cowboys not to win. IMO, that's what I observe from watching.