The Dallas Cowboys: Not America’s Team. Just one man’s team

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Jerry has said in the past he treats owning the Cowboys less like ownership and more like stewardship of the fan's team. I wish he meant that because if that were true we the fans would be able to fire the GM because the Owner is listening. The Cowboys were "America's Team" before Jerry Jones got his filthy rich paws on them.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Responding to a thread about how the Bears could offer so much for Russell Wilson, a QB who has more football behind him than ahead, (spoiler: it’s because of the potential for $$$), got me thinking about how this organization is run.

There is a mainstream, tried and tested method to achieving success for an NFL franchise, and it involves a separation of powers. The owner’s main business goal is to achieve maximal profitability for the franchise. It’s pretty much universally agreed to that the way to do this is by fielding a consistently competitive and successful team. This increases ticket sales, which increases concession sales, merchandising, media contracts, etc. All revenue is driven by butts in seats. The management of money is the owner’s job.

To achieve the goal of fielding consistently good teams, the owner hires a GM. The GM’s doesn’t really care about profitability. He cares about setting up a system that allows them to obtain the best players and the best coaches to develop and utilize those players. Win and he keeps his job. Win and more money flows in to the franchise. Both owner and GM achieve their goals.

Since Jerry Jones is both owner and GM of the Dallas Cowboys, he can’t just focus on one side of this formula. When acquiring players or hiring coaches, financial considerations get intertwined with team building considerations. This muddles direction and clouds focus, and oftentimes bad decisions are made when it comes to improving the team.

So, Jerry has chosen a different path to achieving success for the franchise (to maximize profits from the owner’s perspective). His method of putting butts in seats does not necessarily rely on fielding a consistently competitive team, but creating a consistent fan experience and emotional attachment for Cowboys fan. It’s about building a brand and brand loyalty. They want the name Dallas Cowboys to be synonymous with success, fame, wealth, etc.

That gets us to America’s Team. America’s team is now nothing more than a slogan. A tag line for an advertisement. If you asked JJ 25 years ago why we’re America’s Team, he would have pointed to 3 Super Bowls in 4 years. Well, we can’t do that now. So, now it’s about highest merchandising sales, building the most expensive stadium, and, ironically, name recognition around the world. And if you ask a Cowboys fan, they will defiantly proclaim that we are still America’s team. That’s because we’re loyal to the team...and the brand. Which is just what Jerry wants. Which is why we’re not really America’s team. Just one man’s team.

Your little rant here is full of extorted truths. You are right that a GM's job is to build a team but because Jones is both owner and GM and being both has nothing to do with what he spends on players. that's dictated by the same thing EVERY other GM is and that is a thing called the salary cap. Now the Cowboys or Jones has taken the path of building mostly through the draft just like for the most part teams like the packers who have gone to the playoffs 9 out of the 11 years McCarthy was there. You're probably upset that the Cowboys didn't spend what cap space they had on some big name free agent that in most cases never live up to the huge salaries they get. Has Jones made some mistakes as the GM - you bet ya, but so has EVERY GM . Has Jones made some mistakes on drafts - you bet ya, but so has EVERY GM. Lastly it was NFL films that started the name of America's Team not Jones and some guy who had a factory job made the decision right off the bat to copy write that name using his life's savings to do it and only give the Cowboys permission to use it. He has since made a fortune on different medias and one city for using that name. After the packers won Super Bowl XXXI the city of Green Bay put up banners on street corners downtown proclaiming the packer were America's Team. He was told about that and his attorney contacted the city and ordered them to remove those banners for violating copy write laws and the city was charged 25K per banner per day. The banners were up 3 days and all came down the next day. The city tried to fight it in fed court and lost and was order to pay the 25K per banner per day. Oh I went to a Cowboys game in Green Bay one time back in the early 2000 and except for the two brothers who game me the ticket, most of the people around us were Cowboys fans. One of them, he and his wife were from New Jersey and he told us that he goes to EVERY Cowboys game and has done it for the last 11 years.

Last edited:

12+88=7

Reaction score
The Cowboys have lost millions of fans over the last 25 years. Winning does matter. America's team over the span has been, appropriately, the Patriots. They attracted millions more fans by becoming the greatest franchise in NFL history. Winning matters.

This is not factually true.

By every metric, tv ratings, social media followers, road attendance, it shows Dallas is the number one franchise in the NFL, and it's not close. Pittsburgh is number two. This is in spite of not winning a championship in 25 years. Let New England not win in 25 years and see where they would stand.

My wife hates football. She says it's my mistress. But we have a running joke on when we are out how many people we see wearing Dallas merchandise. We took a trip to Europe and it was amazing how many foreigners(non Americans) that were wearing Dallas merchandise. The only franchise that I saw at the same level was the New York Yankees.

The Dallas brand is iconic and transcends winning.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is not factually true.

By every metric, tv ratings, social media followers, road attendance, it shows Dallas is the number one franchise in the NFL, and it's not close. Pittsburgh is number two. This is in spite of not winning a championship in 25 years. Let New England not win in 25 years and see where they would stand.

My wife hates football. She says it's my mistress. But we have a running joke on when we are out how many people we see wearing Dallas merchandise. We took a trip to Europe and it was amazing how many foreigners(non Americans) that were wearing Dallas merchandise. The only franchise that I saw at the same level was the New York Yankees.

The Dallas brand is iconic and transcends winning.
Well put.

Valkyr

Reaction score
They need to be demoted to American Territory's Team. Like Guam's team or Northern Mariana Island's Team.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Responding to a thread about how the Bears could offer so much for Russell Wilson, a QB who has more football behind him than ahead, (spoiler: it’s because of the potential for $$$), got me thinking about how this organization is run.

There is a mainstream, tried and tested method to achieving success for an NFL franchise, and it involves a separation of powers. The owner’s main business goal is to achieve maximal profitability for the franchise. It’s pretty much universally agreed to that the way to do this is by fielding a consistently competitive and successful team. This increases ticket sales, which increases concession sales, merchandising, media contracts, etc. All revenue is driven by butts in seats. The management of money is the owner’s job.

To achieve the goal of fielding consistently good teams, the owner hires a GM. The GM’s doesn’t really care about profitability. He cares about setting up a system that allows them to obtain the best players and the best coaches to develop and utilize those players. Win and he keeps his job. Win and more money flows in to the franchise. Both owner and GM achieve their goals.

Since Jerry Jones is both owner and GM of the Dallas Cowboys, he can’t just focus on one side of this formula. When acquiring players or hiring coaches, financial considerations get intertwined with team building considerations. This muddles direction and clouds focus, and oftentimes bad decisions are made when it comes to improving the team.

So, Jerry has chosen a different path to achieving success for the franchise (to maximize profits from the owner’s perspective). His method of putting butts in seats does not necessarily rely on fielding a consistently competitive team, but creating a consistent fan experience and emotional attachment for Cowboys fan. It’s about building a brand and brand loyalty. They want the name Dallas Cowboys to be synonymous with success, fame, wealth, etc.

That gets us to America’s Team. America’s team is now nothing more than a slogan. A tag line for an advertisement. If you asked JJ 25 years ago why we’re America’s Team, he would have pointed to 3 Super Bowls in 4 years. Well, we can’t do that now. So, now it’s about highest merchandising sales, building the most expensive stadium, and, ironically, name recognition around the world. And if you ask a Cowboys fan, they will defiantly proclaim that we are still America’s team. That’s because we’re loyal to the team...and the brand. Which is just what Jerry wants. Which is why we’re not really America’s team. Just one man’s team.
we dont need to make ridiculous offers to get an aging QB because we chose romo and Dak B2B and well making good decsions led to being set at the most important position on the team something that 14 coaches and 27 Gms couldn't get done in Chi. i mean UDFA Romo, 4th Round Dak... all that draft stock they gave to move up to get Mitch and now still desperate LMAO right great comparisons..

anything else?

i dont even need to respond further.. heck quincy carter was as good as McMahon their best QB ever lol Jerry has had Aikman, Romo, and dak..enough said..

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
We don't need the "America's Team" moniker and we never did. That was a titled dreamed up by NFL films when it needed one for the 1978 team summary video. Neither Landry nor Staubach liked it. I don't care about that title. I care about the titles NFC East Champion, NFC Champion, and Super Bowl Champion. If the America's Team thing goes away, I'm fine with it.

blueblood70

Reaction score
25 of 32 teams havent done jack consistently. Teams fortunes come and go with who they have behind center. Look how quickly the model franchise went to crap as soon as their qb left.
i guess he missed that dallas is still number one overall in NFL History in winning percentage.. i think fans see losing in the playoffs and no SBS as losing and hang that Jerry ahs losing team, however the win loss records, division wins, and at least enough playoff appearances have kept the DC more then relative, there star power on this teams because Jerry still has done enough to cultivate some stars and yes overpay them, that keeps the fans, media, and the nfl marketing departments from keeping the DC on primetime..

isn't it odd our fans say we suck and are losers or the word mediocrty comes into play but every year the media has us high on the SB favorites list every year..why is that ?if the nfl and media are not DC fans, Unbiasedly they would sell the national audience a different narrative, yet they dont..

fan have right to be upset that the lack of playoff wins and SB and NFFCG drought but they overblow the rest of it.. the Dallas Cowboys are as relative as they have always been..the W-L record is still more wins then losses and the popularity as well as its been..

plasticman

Reaction score
I feel like I just walked into a trap.

This is a "trash Jerry" thread and I could literally starve to death composing a thread that makes War and Peace look like a short story.

I must resist.