The dark side of the combine...

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
Chad Greenway, LB Iowa –

Considered by many to be a top fifteen pick, Greenway had just short of a disastrous combine. A lackluster 4.74 time in the 40 coupled with a pathetic sixteen reps in the bench press could move Greenway closer to the bottom of the first round. Greenway was to work at safety for scouts and some may view him as a better prospect there. Either way, Greenway is still a fine football player but his performance shows how quickly a players stock can fluctuate during this process.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Or is this a case of workouts wrongly overshadowing the way a player plays on the field?

IMO linebacker is one of the positions where workouts mean the least. So much of that position is about recognition, shedding and avoiding blockers, taking the proper angles, etc.

All I know is the guy is tall, big, and a LB... Plus he grew up on a pig farm. Bet you a nickel Parcells likes that. ;)

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Chocolate Lab said:
Or is this a case of workouts wrongly overshadowing the way a player plays on the field?

IMO linebacker is one of the positions where workouts mean the least. So much of that position is about recognition, shedding and avoiding blockers, taking the proper angles, etc.

All I know is the guy is tall, big, and a LB... Plus he grew up on a pig farm. Bet you a nickel Parcells likes that. ;)

True. Why do you think Mickey made Rocky chase all those chickens?

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:

Did you see him during weigh ins? Compared to Hawk, Sims, etc. he looked like he hadn't ever seen a weight room.

I think he is overrated as well.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Odd, I actually remembered him being a pretty good player during the season.

Combine = overrated. Read about his leadership skills during the Senior Bowl and you'll realize that it's not all about triangle numbers.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
junk said:
Did you see him during weigh ins? Compared to Hawk, Sims, etc. he looked like he hadn't ever seen a weight room.

I think he is overrated as well.

I have nothing agaist him, but I would stay as far away from him as I could...

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
trickblue said:
I have nothing agaist him, but I would stay as far away from him as I could...

I'd probably draft him.....just not top 15-20.

I think he needs a year or two in an NFL weight program (which surprises me because Ferentz usually preps his guys well).

I don't think I'd draft him for a 3-4 scheme either.

He does have solid coverage skills and good leadership ability.

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
Avery said:
Odd, I actually remembered him being a pretty good player during the season.

Combine = overrated. Read about his leadership skills during the Senior Bowl and you'll realize that it's not all about triangle numbers.

I was really basing my opinion on being overrated in his play against OSU and other Big Ten teams. I saw some early projections that had him in the top 10, i didn't see that based on his play. Top 20.. maybe. IMO, late first or early second.