The DB group is toxic

BigWillie

Reaction score
Harris gets fired from his last NFL job. Spends a year coaching as an unpaid assistant at Florida Atlantic. And we decide to hire him back to the NFL.

I get wanting to have familiarity with your coaches. But this is the absolute best McCarthy could do?

Verdict

Reaction score
There’s no way I’m blaming the current DB coaches. These bums were drafted in 2017. They’ve never been good and have never been willing tacklers you can’t blame the new staff for having this group of lazy bums to work with. Anthony Brown would be a solid 4th CB. He’s the only one that’s even roster worthy to me. This staff will be judged with Diggs and Robinson.
How can Robinson not be getting playing time? Can he be worse than Worley? Seriously? If so then that’s scary.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've been saying for years the Cowboys haven't replaced Woodson. They need 2 new S's and another CB or two.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Let's be honest....our secondary could have Jalen Ramsey, Stephen Gilmore in it and we'd still suck.
No, we'd have two amazing corners.

They'd just get beat a lot more because we have guys from the Home Depot parking lot playing Safety.

We have wasted decent-to-good corners on some of the worst safety play the last decade. It's systemic with this current Front Office.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
How can Robinson not be getting playing time? Can he be worse than Worley? Seriously? If so then that’s scary.
Robinson is a safety right now. Probably can’t be any worse , but they were left with these garbage DB’s who are thankfully in the last year of their deals. Clean that group out after the year.

Verdict

Reaction score
Robinson is a safety right now. Probably can’t be any worse , but they were left with these garbage DB’s who are thankfully in the last year of their deals. Clean that group out after the year.
I’m just saying—how can he not be playing better than these guys?

Zordon

Reaction score
It’s very evident when you watch film. Other teams have Alpha DB’s that come up and make game changing plays. Look at Budda baker, Antoine Winfield Jr, Matthieu etc...these guys come up make plays and are excellent tacklers in the run game. Go watch Kenyan Drakes TD run and watch Xavier Woods on that play. He is an absolute toxic player. Same with Joudain Lewis, he’s always pouting, Awuzie doesnt even try to come up and make a tackle he runs away from contact. All our DB’s run AWAY FROM CONTACT. Go and watch the film in slow motion. Priority #1 fix that secondary. It will completely change our defense. Our front 7 presses so much because they know the secondary is garbage. There has and never will be a good defense without willing tacklers @ DB.
There's definitely some serious chemistry issues with that unit. The play where Murray missed Fitzgerald in the endzone, it looked like the DBs did not even communicate on the play. There is a serious lack of communication back there.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No, we'd have two amazing corners.

They'd just get beat a lot more because we have guys from the Home Depot parking lot playing Safety.

We have wasted decent-to-good corners on some of the worst safety play the last decade. It's systemic with this current Front Office.
I'm convinced this team will suck until they change how they operate. How many guys do we have to see come here just to suck? How many coaches come here just to suck?

Cowboysfan1975

Reaction score
The lack of a decent safety is a big hole in the Cowboys defense. We just saw how important the safeties are to a defense tonight. I can live with Awuzie, Brown and Lewis as CBs if we had a couple of safeties that can tackle, support the run game, and make plays in the secondary.

While we talk about the Cowboys 4 turnovers tonight, we are not talking about the fact that the Cowboys go another game without an INT or fumble recovery. The whole point of firing the old defensive coaches was to fix the lack of turnovers, It's worse now.

Yes, I saw Woods miss the play on that long TD run. But at that point they have given up already.
Well there are a couple of pretty good safeties out there, but we like the guys we have.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
And Brown frustrates me because he does so many dumb things out there. On a 3rd and 11 in the first half, he has Fitzgerald and he gives him a 12 yard cushion and Fitzgerald runs an out for the first down. Even the color guy pointed out what a bad mistake that was. Brown can run with Fitzgerald so why worry about getting beat deep and just give up an easy first down? We lack talent, and I think brains in the secondary.

Habits from the Marinelli days?

Brown has speed to play catchup, and Fitzgerald doesn't have speed to run away. Probably best to play on his hip generally.

Sydla

Reaction score
Talent issues aside, it's all wheel spinning in the mud as long as McCarthy and the Jones boys think Nolan is a good DC and will turn this around.

Nothing will improve as long as he's here. He makes a mediocre talented defense worse.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Worley is terrible.

And Brown frustrates me because he does so many dumb things out there. On a 3rd and 11 in the first half, he has Fitzgerald and he gives him a 12 yard cushion and Fitzgerald runs an out for the first down. Even the color guy pointed out what a bad mistake that was. Brown can run with Fitzgerald so why worry about getting beat deep and just give up an easy first down? We lack talent, and I think brains in the secondary.

We are allergic to press coverage....and can't switch during man on man to save our souls...It's beyond comical how bad this secondary is right now. Just doing fundamental stuff...this team can't do it.

Blue64

Reaction score
It’s very evident when you watch film. Other teams have Alpha DB’s that come up and make game changing plays. Look at Budda baker, Antoine Winfield Jr, Matthieu etc...these guys come up make plays and are excellent tacklers in the run game. Go watch Kenyan Drakes TD run and watch Xavier Woods on that play. He is an absolute toxic player. Same with Joudain Lewis, he’s always pouting, Awuzie doesnt even try to come up and make a tackle he runs away from contact. All our DB’s run AWAY FROM CONTACT. Go and watch the film in slow motion. Priority #1 fix that secondary. It will completely change our defense. Our front 7 presses so much because they know the secondary is garbage. There has and never will be a good defense without willing tacklers @ DB.
Agreed!!!
Now tell me if ET as toxic as he is apparently, would have had Murray testing him with the long ball.

It’s the players, the coaches this whole team is toxic....

3rd and 11 and our DB’s line up 10 yards behind the line????

Then again we got rid of Heath and were told all through training camp how these DB’s were ready to step up and rave reviews on a few of them...

Hell of a disappearing trick... at least Heath back there last night would have made his presence felt, unlike these clowns.