The defense is not that bad (hear me out)

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Man they can't off the field on 3rd downs....they can't get turnovers and they can't stop big plays. How is it not THAT BAD?
Who cares they won! Dallas hadn't forged a rebound when down in the first quarter by 14 points in 13 years. And the Cowboys were 1-13 in the last 20 seasons when trailing by 14 or more points in the first quarter. And you're complaining?! o_O

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It can't do this defense justice to appraise them this soon in the season. By all means, I think it should continue to improve as more exposure to its many demands become accustomed to. I hope it manages to put its best foot forward for the upcoming game in Seattle. If not, it shouldn't be anything that can't be overcome with more practice by the players. Whether it performs good enough to win vs. Seattle is neither here nor there, however. As long as progress is realized in whatever time it takes to do so, we should benefit in the long run. Take heart -- it takes time. Instant gratification isn't the ultimate goal. ;)

Adreme

Reaction score
Remember that when you disagree with me, you will be wrong.

Have a nice day.

Not really because that still is not good. Its less terrible but being less terrible is far from good.

If someone is shot 3 times and it turns out they are only shot twice, that doesn't mean the situation is good.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Not really because that still is not good. Its less terrible but being less terrible is far from good.

If someone is shot 3 times and it turns out they are only shot twice, that doesn't mean the situation is good.
380 isn't bad for a high power offense.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Bend but don't break is a loser's approach. Where are the plays being made? Turnovers or timely sacks. 3 and outs? This team has no instinct for the ball. If you are never going to make a play and your idea of a stop is letting the team drive down the field and punt to pin you deep or force a FG, that will get us nowhere in the end. Go watch the playoffs. The teams in the final 4 make plays on defense. Every one of them.

And don't forget special teams, too. They are bottom feeders. They don't help with field position, either.

75boyz

Reaction score
I’m sure this has already been discussed, but here’s my two cents.

the defense isn’t that bad. I mean don’t get me wrong, it’s nowhere near good and it has a lot of improvements to make, however, it’s not at all as bad as everyone is making it seem.

I rewatched the Atlanta game the other day, and I noticed a few things. For one, the run defense is fine. Not great, but not horrendous. I don’t see too many huge holes for the RB to run in.

The pass rush is absolutely horrendous though (I’ll tap into that later).

Another observation I noticed, was that we held them to 10 points in the 2nd half. Now, I understand Julio had an easy catch he could’ve easily made, but he failed to haul in, however, that simply didn’t happen. Perhaps the coverage was good enough for Julio to be slightly distracted enough to miss the ball? I’m not sure, however, that can be deemed one of the possibilities.

Back to the 10 points though, that’s really great. Amazing even. Especially considering Julio, Matt Ryan, Calvin Ridley, Hurst, and Gage Jr. are not an offensive force to be reckoned with. it didn’t look like they played good, but holding an offense like that to that score, it’s pretty darn good.

29 points in the first half— you guys have to consider how many times Dallas gave them short field. 2 failed punts, 3 fumbles. That’s ridiculous. And Atlanta scored on all of our mistakes. I understand, no matter the situation, it’s the defense’s job to make stops, however, you have to look deeper. It’s much harder as a bend but don’t break defense (which appears to be the way our defense is gonna play this year) when the team is constantly near the end zone. The 29 points (in my opinion) was mostly due to the ineptitude of the offense and ST players not being able to execute properly.

We also had, what 3 almost interceptions? I know, am almost interception sounds stupid. But it’s something we should look forward to. With Marinelli/Richard’s defense, they didn’t even turn around to attempt to catch the ball, and when they did, it was a rare occasion. This time, the players are making the efforts. At least the players are taking a step into the right direction. Diggs will be a star barring injury. Once he gets better with using his hands, he could be a ballhawk. He’s a rookie though, so I’ll cut him some slack.

20 points to the Rams. Could be better, but this was the first game, I’ll cut a little slack. 20 points isn’t a whole lot, but it’s not the best we can do either...

As for the pass rush... jeez. It’s horrible. I can’t really defend the way our pass rush looks, besides this:

New scheme. New players. New DC. Everything had changed. It’s going to take time for this defense to gel and find it’s identity. Especially compared to our high powered offense, which has stayed the same for the most part and is beginning to find its identity, the defense looks lackluster, in which it is, but it’s to be expected. We had no preseason, a short training camp, and players who likely haven’t had as much time to exercise during quarantine going on. It’s going to show. Now I know what you’re going to say: “other teams don’t have these issues and they didn’t have preseason and they had short training camps too!” How many teams got new DC’s? New Head coaches? Implemented new schemes? Not many. Washington did, but their D-line was already p-solid last year. Chase Young and Riverboat Ron did nothing but solidify that. Our defense was horrendous last year. We had nothing to build on.

tl;dr: give it time and stop giving the other team short field. That’s it.

I believe Bobhaze has had posts pointing out sacks and turnovers and Plasticman has shown an in depth look at the lack of turnovers in general with several posts.

This year, the team that can pressure the opponent's QB on defense and withstand that same pressure from the opponent on offense will decide most games.

This simple logic will truly show itself in the playoffs when the best coaches, offenses and defenses are on display.

Not to sound too Captain Obvious with this simple stuff but I believe this year's abundance of injuries are making it even more basic to achieve success for a league whose rules mostly favor offenses.

If you can protect yours and get after theirs you got a better than average chance at coming out victorious.

Basic I know, but that's what it boils down to, especially this year.

Just my opinion

Go Cowboys

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Who cares they won! Dallas hadn't forged a rebound when down in the first quarter by 14 points in 13 years. And the Cowboys were 1-13 in the last 20 seasons when trailing by 14 or more points in the first quarter. And you're complaining?! o_O
What? I replied to the post how is that complaining? The defense sucks. I don't care if the offense bailed them out that doesn't mean anything.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

the defense isn’t that bad. I mean don’t get me wrong, it’s nowhere near good and it has a lot of improvements to make, however, it’s not at all as bad as everyone is making it seem.

I rewatched the Atlanta game the other day, and I noticed a few things. For one, the run defense is fine. Not great, but not horrendous. I don’t see too many huge holes for the RB to run in.

Another observation I noticed, was that we held them to 10 points in the 2nd half. Now, I understand Julio had an easy catch he could’ve easily made, but he failed to haul in, however, that simply didn’t happen. Perhaps the coverage was good enough for Julio to be slightly distracted enough to miss the ball? I’m not sure, however, that can be deemed one of the possibilities.

Back to the 10 points though, that’s really great. Amazing even. Especially considering Julio, Matt Ryan, Calvin Ridley, Hurst, and Gage Jr. are not an offensive force to be reckoned with. it didn’t look like they played good, but holding an offense like that to that score, it’s pretty darn good.

29 points in the first half— you guys have to consider how many times Dallas gave them short field. 2 failed punts, 3 fumbles. That’s ridiculous. And Atlanta scored on all of our mistakes. I understand, no matter the situation, it’s the defense’s job to make stops, however, you have to look deeper. It’s much harder as a bend but don’t break defense (which appears to be the way our defense is gonna play this year) when the team is constantly near the end zone. The 29 points (in my opinion) was mostly due to the ineptitude of the offense and ST players not being able to execute properly.

We also had, what 3 almost interceptions? I know, am almost interception sounds stupid. But it’s something we should look forward to. With Marinelli/Richard’s defense, they didn’t even turn around to attempt to catch the ball, and when they did, it was a rare occasion. This time, the players are making the efforts. At least the players are taking a step into the right direction. Diggs will be a star barring injury. Once he gets better with using his hands, he could be a ballhawk. He’s a rookie though, so I’ll cut him some slack.

20 points to the Rams. Could be better, but this was the first game, I’ll cut a little slack. 20 points isn’t a whole lot, but it’s not the best we can do either...

As for the pass rush... jeez. It’s horrible. I can’t really defend the way our pass rush looks, besides this:

New scheme. New players. New DC. Everything had changed. It’s going to take time for this defense to gel and find it’s identity. Especially compared to our high powered offense, which has stayed the same for the most part and is beginning to find its identity, the defense looks lackluster, in which it is, but it’s to be expected. We had no preseason, a short training camp, and players who likely haven’t had as much time to exercise during quarantine going on. It’s going to show. Now I know what you’re going to say: “other teams don’t have these issues and they didn’t have preseason and they had short training camps too!” How many teams got new DC’s? New Head coaches? Implemented new schemes? Not many. Washington did, but their D-line was already p-solid last year. Chase Young and Riverboat Ron did nothing but solidify that. Our defense was horrendous last year. We had nothing to build on.

The Red Zone is where the bend but don't break defense is supposed to be useful. That's the "don't break" part of it. If they're a BBDB defense, the shorter the field, the less tired they should be, so it should be easier to keep the opponent out of the end zone.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Atlanta is a 4-5 win team that is probably going to be either 3rd or 4th in their division. Is having a marginally better defense than them really a point of pride?

Nope...I didnt say it was a "point of pride". But here we are arguing that's what I said?

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Chill--- I really like your reasoning...high probability defense has bounce-back game of the season...like we did against Saints 2018....Griffith and Tank changing over to 3-point stance..they gonna EAT