The defense is players fault more than coaches

Tigerlytic

Reaction score
We couldn't add enough to fix it?

We could have cut Crawford and traded for Calais Campbell instead of signing McCoy at no extra cost.
We could have signed Byron Jones instead of Brown, Worley, and Griffen at no extra cost
We could have signed Vonn Bell instead of Haha and Poe at no extra cost.
We could have signed a good solid ILB if we cut Lee and didn't sign Erving

Between cap space and the draft, there was plenty of opportunity to fix the defense. We just spent our money badly.

Can we go back in time and somehow get Jerry and Steven to see this? Would be so happy to have this and have signed 2 DT's w/ Hargrove and Reed. We need quality DT's so bad it's not even funny.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score

We could have cut Crawford and traded for Calais Campbell instead of signing McCoy at no extra cost.
We could have signed Byron Jones instead of Brown, Worley, and Griffen at no extra cost

Between cap space and the draft, there was plenty of opportunity to fix the defense. We just spent our money badly.
You do need players to fill out a roster. In the scenario agreed on above you give up at least 1-2 draft picks for Campbell

3 players for Byron

2 players for Bell

2 players for an ILB

There’s no guarantee any of the signing stay healthy especially this season or are a scheme fit. With the additions/subtractions there’d be 5-6 less players on this roster which would even further hurt the depth. Plus Most of them probably require multi year deals that then take 5-6 players away every year for the remainder of the contract.

The McCoy/Poe/Griffen signings haven’t worked out but that’s an evaluation problem. The managing of the cap was fine and on Aug 1 everyone on this board thought it was going to be the best DL we’ve had in years.

McCoys leg was a time bomb waiting to happen
Poe I think can partly be blamed on lack of offseason strength and conditioning
Griffen only can rush the passer in a 3 point stance. He doesn’t do anything vs the run and can’t learn new tricks.

Majic

Reaction score
Good to see D-law listening and learning from his Coaches, mixing in rushes from both a 2 point and 3 point stance. With a full off season and some changes of personnel, I firmly believe this coaching staff know what they are doing and will be successful.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If the players can't play, it's the coaches job to sit them. The players won't sit or cut themselves.

DanA

Reaction score
You do need players to fill out a roster. In the scenario agreed on above you give up at least 1-2 draft picks for Campbell

3 players for Byron

2 players for Bell

2 players for an ILB

There’s no guarantee any of the signing stay healthy especially this season or are a scheme fit. With the additions/subtractions there’d be 5-6 less players on this roster which would even further hurt the depth. Plus Most of them probably require multi year deals that then take 5-6 players away every year for the remainder of the contract.

The McCoy/Poe/Griffen signings haven’t worked out but that’s an evaluation problem. The managing of the cap was fine and on Aug 1 everyone on this board thought it was going to be the best DL we’ve had in years.

McCoys leg was a time bomb waiting to happen
Poe I think can partly be blamed on lack of offseason strength and conditioning
Griffen only can rush the passer in a 3 point stance. He doesn’t do anything vs the run and can’t learn new tricks.

The point wasn't the specific players but rather that we should have been targeting more reliable, high caliber players. We spread ourselves too thin and didn't make smart cap decisions with injury prone players. Campbell was traded for a 5th so we'd lose a player and it's probably Robinson. I still think we'd get Tyler Biadasz (late 4th) given we traded up for him.

In my scenario the 53 man roster would be:

QB: Dak , Dalton, DiNucci, Gilbert
RB: Zeke, Pollard, Dowdle
WR: Lamb, Cooper, Gallup, Wilson, Brown
TE: Jarwin , Shultz, Bell, McKeon
OT: T.Smith, Collins, Knight, Steele, Senat
OG: Martin, Williams, McGovern
C: Looney, Biadasz

DT: Campbell, Woods, Hill, Gallimore, Hamilton
DE: Lawrence, A.Smith, Armstrong, Anae, J.Jackson
LB: J.Smith, LVE, Martinez, Thomas, March, Gifford, Bernard, R.Smith
CB: Jones, Awuzie, Diggs. Lewis, Goodwin, S.Smith
S: Bell, Woods, Thompson, Wilson

ST: Jones, Zuerlien, Ladoucour

I'd take that roster over what we have currently in a heartbeat.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As often is the case here, the execution doesn't get the same treatment as the coaching. Easier to blame one guy.

The OC gets blamed for turnovers and I bet there's not one play in that playbook that calls for a turnover.

The DC and his position coaches can only put the players in the position to make the play.

Coming in, Nolan lost his best cover CB and pass rusher to FA. They did not replace those 2 players with the same level of talent. Then he loses his 2 best LB's and 2 more CB's.

Then he gets to sit there during the draft and watch his GM take a WR with the 1st pick because he makes a bigger splash when he's on a boat.

Nolan is not that DC to make a silk purse out of a bunch of sow's ear players on a team that is very poor at depth. He needs talent and he doesn't have enough. No DC would have enough with this roster.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
As often is the case here, the execution doesn't get the same treatment as the coaching. Easier to blame one guy.

The OC gets blamed for turnovers and I bet there's not one play in that playbook that calls for a turnover.

The DC and his position coaches can only put the players in the position to make the play.

Coming in, Nolan lost his best cover CB and pass rusher to FA. They did not replace those 2 players with the same level of talent. Then he loses his 2 best LB's and 2 more CB's.

Then he gets to sit there during the draft and watch his GM take a WR with the 1st pick because he makes a bigger splash when he's on a boat.

Nolan is not that DC to make a silk purse out of a bunch of sow's ear players on a team that is very poor at depth. He needs talent and he doesn't have enough. No DC would have enough with this roster.
This. Although I’m not sure how much of an impact Chiasson would have made this year. It’s hard for rookie DEs to make an immediate impact.

conner01

Reaction score

I’m talking about now
Not the past

LifetimeBoysFan

Reaction score
Any word on LVE practicing and coming back this week? I'm not sure how long he can hold up for, but I'll take whatever we can get.